Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 95
  1. #41
    Bryce-IL

    Aug 2007
    Wherever Silver's Hidin'
    Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
    3,775
    128 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: 1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Copper in Ma. Ryder 7 var.

    Holy crap...what an awesome find.
    Here's the story of my BEST FIND EVERhttp://www.treasurenet.com/forums/be...find-ever.html

  2. # ADS
    Ads

    TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

  3. #42
    Charter Member
    CANE FIELD BANDITS and IRON BRIGADE MEMBER

    Jun 2006
    Moonlight and Magnolias
    Fisher F75, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver ÁMax
    14,625
    1704 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (4)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

    Re: 1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Copper in Ma. Ryder 7 var.

    Oh YEAH. That is Quite a coin there. I can say I'm more than a little jealous! :P

    -Buck
    2014 CaneField Bandits Totals:
    Three Seated Half Dimes: 1842-O, 1848-O and 1857
    1876-CC and 1887 Seated Dimes
    1876-S Seated Quarter
    185? Large Cent
    Blacksmith-Forged Picket Pin
    1941 Walking Liberty Half Dollar
    1943, 1954, and 1963-D Quarters
    1945 and 1945-S Mercury Dimes
    1864-L Indian Head Cent
    Dateless Shield Nickel
    Indian Head Cents, Wheats, Buffaloes, and GawGag
    OUR 2013 YEAR-END POST: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...-end-post.html
    OUR 2012 YEAR END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post3120940

    Any relics, coins, or other items appearing in my finds signatures were found on PRIVATE PROPERTY with total consent and permission from the owners of said property.

  4. #43
    Charter Member
    So many old sites to hunt....so little time.

    Aug 2007
    Above: 1786 Vermont landscape copper ryder 7 variety. Found August 2007
    Whites VX3, Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil)
    3,537
    472 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: 1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Copper in Ma. Ryder 7 var.

    Congratulations on making the banner. Ryder 7....Nice More rare than the ryder 6.

    Rob
    2014 Notable Finds :

    1837 Hard Times Token (Millions For Defence Not One Cent For Tribute)
    2 Indian Heads including a nice 1872 Key date
    Gold Class Ring (1957)
    Native American knife blade
    NYC & HRRR Co. Lock
    Eagle button


  5. #44
    us
    What a great hobby this is...

    Apr 2007
    Tulsa, OK
    Fisher F75, CZ-3D, CZ-7
    440
    2 times

    Re: 1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Copper in Ma. Ryder 7 var.

    SWEEEEET!!!! Can't wait to see this one cleaned up...

    HH Robert...

  6. #45

    Re: 1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Copper in Ma. Ryder 7 var.

    Congratulations on a banner of a find! The details are very sharp indeed, the fact you cleaned it with water and a toothbrush and did not reveal a smooth surface makes it suspect for micro pitting and other corrosion. Personally, I would be cleaning it in peroxide, but I have done hundreds of coins using peroxide and I trust what I am doing, since if the coin has no damage done from corrosion, then peroxide would safely remove the encrusted dirt from the coin. If it does become worst, than that is because the coin was already damaged by corrosion, thus the reason for the encrustation that is still on there after the water and toothbrush cleaning.

    Also, if you found another copper at this site, did it look similar in appearance when dirty, if so, did you clean that copper and was it alright or corroded underneath? Sometimes coins found at the same site will be a clue as to how well they do, but like everything else in this world, nothing is set in cement. I found two 1804 Half Cents within 20 feet of each other at the same homestead, one was immaculate while the other one was rather corroded, so go figure.

    I can only think of NCS for a cleaning service that would even touch a colonial copper, I am not sure but there is a forum on their website and you might be able to post a photo and ask before sending it out. If the coin is worthy then it could be sent on to NGS for grading.

    Here is that specific forum for "Ask NCS" I think if you sign up and post the questions and photos of your coin, you might get somewhat of an answer from a NCS expert. http://boards.collectors-society.com...c=4&PHPSESSID=

    It is part of the NCS/NGC website: http://www.ncscoin.com/

    Don

    "The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
    For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
    The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

  7. #46
    us
    Apr 2006
    PA
    White's XL Pro 6000
    1,501
    1 times

    Re: 1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Copper in Ma. Ryder 7 var.

    If I were you, I wouldn't clean it at all. If you clean it and screw it up, you will never forget yourself.

    Those early PA settlers did too much and that is why coppas are found in abundance!

    The Three Datectateers will miles to find the Colonial "stuff"!

    KirkKyleChris (KKC) and to those long-forgotten, coppa-dropping settlers!

  8. #47

    Re: 1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Copper in Ma. Ryder 7 var.

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonial Zoyboy
    If I were you, I wouldn't clean it at all. If you clean it and screw it up, you will never forget yourself.



    I have never seen a coin with strong detail be worse after peroxide. It's when it's just patina you can get in trouble. One soak in peroxide doesn't affect the metal, just shows you what you have and maybe you'll be happy, maybe not, but it's nothing any expert could have changed.

  9. #48
    us
    Apr 2008
    Eau Claire, WI
    Garrett Ace 250
    725

    Re: 1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Copper in Ma. Ryder 7 var.

    New England colonial coins are awesome. Nice job. I'd love to find one like it!
    Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

  10. #49
    us
    Apr 2007
    Southern CA
    Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
    2,774
    2 times

    Re: 1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Copper in Ma. Ryder 7 var.

    A truly awesome coin find, Hogge!!

    Congrats on the well-deserved banner! I want to see the final pics of your Copper after cleaning!

    HH,
    CAPTN SE
    Dan

  11. #50
    us
    NJ

    Nov 2006
    Middlesex County, New Jersey
    Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000
    3,214
    90 times
    Metal Detecting

    Re: 1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Copper in Ma. Ryder 7 var.

    Awesome find...congrats.

    NJ

  12. #51
    us
    pezhead and md'er

    Apr 2008
    rhode island
    titan 1000 xd
    963

    Re: 1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Copper in Ma. Ryder 7 var.

    cool find. congrats!
    my name is aimee and i'm from rhode island.  woonsocket area.
    GOT PEZ??
    OLDEST COINS
    1914 wheatie penny!!!
    1899 V nickel
    1917 merc!
    1965 washington quarter
    Half-?
    Dollar-n/a

  13. #52
    us
    Jul 2008
    Moved from the Peoples Commonwealth of Massachusetts to the hills of southern Kentucky
    CTX-3030 / XTerra 705 / Tejon
    169
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

    Re: 1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Copper in Ma. Ryder 7 var.

    Nice,Nice,Nice!!! Glad to see that Western Mass is (VERY) well represented. That copper is a once in a lifetime find, congrats on the coin and the banner

  14. #53
    us
    Coin Hunter

    Nov 2005
    Wichita, Ks ~ USA
    Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
    912

    Re: 1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Copper in Ma. Ryder 7 var.

    Awesome, totally awesome!!!
    [move]Keep on keepin on...........[/move]

  15. #54
    us
    My Find of a Lifetime!

    Oct 2006
    Philadelphia Area
    Excalibur 1000, Teknetics T2 SE
    5,056
    215 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

    Re: 1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Copper in Ma. Ryder 7 var.

    Congrats on your banner of a find! I don't recall seeing any posted since Evolution's from last summer. It is definitely the equivalent of a golfer's hole in one or a bowlers 300 game! It will be a tough one to beat.

    I am in agreement with Iron Patch and Don. I would have had that baby in a peroxide bath as soon as I came back from detecting! It is good, however, that you didn't do anything that you weren't sure of.

    In case you are not sure of the procedure, here is Don's post from quite a while back on cleaning large coppers. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...c,39135.0.html. I have used it successfully on many coins from colonial coppers to those rotten Wheaties, and have always been happy with the results.

    Once again, congratulations on a once in a lifetime find!

  16. #55
    us
    Apr 2006
    PA
    White's XL Pro 6000
    1,501
    1 times

    Re: 1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Copper in Ma. Ryder 7 var.

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonial Zoyboy
    If I were you, I wouldn't clean it at all. If you clean it and screw it up, you will never forget yourself.





    I have never seen a coin with strong detail be worse after peroxide. It's when it's just patina you can get in trouble. One soak in peroxide doesn't affect the metal, just shows you what you have and maybe you'll be happy, maybe not, but it's nothing any expert could have changed.
    In my opinion, the peroxide method sucks. It makes the coppas black, and I don't really care for a black-looking coppa. I love to look at a green coppa than an ugly black one.

    I did the peroxide method on two coppas before and, let me tell ya what, they ain't purdy anymore.


    Kyle
    Those early PA settlers did too much and that is why coppas are found in abundance!

    The Three Datectateers will miles to find the Colonial "stuff"!

    KirkKyleChris (KKC) and to those long-forgotten, coppa-dropping settlers!

  17. #56
    us
    Apr 2007
    Colonial, PA
    White's Pro XL
    3,846
    1 times
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: 1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Copper in Ma. Ryder 7 var.

    Quote Originally Posted by Don in SJ
    Congratulations on a banner of a find! The details are very sharp indeed, the fact you cleaned it with water and a toothbrush and did not reveal a smooth surface makes it suspect for micro pitting and other corrosion. Personally, I would be cleaning it in peroxide, but I have done hundreds of coins using peroxide and I trust what I am doing, since if the coin has no damage done from corrosion, then peroxide would safely remove the encrusted dirt from the coin. If it does become worst, than that is because the coin was already damaged by corrosion, thus the reason for the encrustation that is still on there after the water and toothbrush cleaning.

    Also, if you found another copper at this site, did it look similar in appearance when dirty, if so, did you clean that copper and was it alright or corroded underneath? Sometimes coins found at the same site will be a clue as to how well they do, but like everything else in this world, nothing is set in cement. I found two 1804 Half Cents within 20 feet of each other at the same homestead, one was immaculate while the other one was rather corroded, so go figure.

    I can only think of NCS for a cleaning service that would even touch a colonial copper, I am not sure but there is a forum on their website and you might be able to post a photo and ask before sending it out. If the coin is worthy then it could be sent on to NGS for grading.

    Here is that specific forum for "Ask NCS" I think if you sign up and post the questions and photos of your coin, you might get somewhat of an answer from a NCS expert. http://boards.collectors-society.com...c=4&PHPSESSID=

    It is part of the NCS/NGC website: http://www.ncscoin.com/

    Don

    If I had a perfect-looking coppa (I guess my 1793 Ship halfpenny counts) , I would advise against the peroxide method. Hogge, the coppa has been doyty (dirty) for 225 years and, from my conversations with them (right after coming out of the hole), they prefer to be doyty.

    Kirk

    P.S. I don't want no wax, vaseline, or any other "lubes" on my coppas.

  18. #57
    us
    Your best find is still in the ground somewhere

    Jan 2007
    Hazelwood, MO
    White's Prizm II
    2,255
    1 times

    Re: 1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Copper in Ma. Ryder 7 var.

    That is truly AWESOME.

    WTG
    Nat

  19. #58
    us
    Jun 2008
    Midlands of S.Carolina
    R/S Discovery(BH IV) cousin
    224

    Re: 1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Copper in Ma. Ryder 7 var.

    Wow ! What a find. Congrads on banner & keep us posted on how it all turns out. D.D.

  20. #59

    Oct 2007
    214

    Re: 1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Copper in Ma. Ryder 7 var.

    Awesome coin and in great condition.

  21. #60
    us
    CS IS NEXT

    Nov 2005
    MARYLAND
    Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
    8,568
    30 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

    Re: 1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Copper in Ma. Ryder 7 var.

    Sweet Job Hogge....Definetly a once in a lifetime find.Congratulation's to you and on the new Banner find

 

 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

1786 copper vermont copper, vermontensium
,
1786 vermontensium
,
1786 vermontensium copper
,

maris 17-j new jersey copper

,
pics of a vermont copper
,
vermont landscape copper
,

vermont landscape coppers

,

vermontensium

,

vermontensium 1786

,
vermontensium or 1795 flowing hair dollar?
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3