Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Updated Pics WOW!

It's been a long dry spell for me but today changed everything. My brother and I decided to try exploring for a new spot and found a DANDY! After following a stone wall deep in an area we've always had good luck in, we came across a foundation we never knew of. 15 mins into it I found this. Right outa da ground I could read the date! I knew I had a fabulous coin that was going to clean up nice. I have only hit it with water and a soft toothbrush but WHAT DETAIL! The scans still show alot of crud, but holding it in my hand under light it LOOKS MINT! I MEAN MINT!!!!! Every tiny detail shows! The leaves in the damn trees even! Every letter, the eyes in the sun,the small little lines in the back support for the plow, the lines in the rays around the eye. EVERYTHING IS SHARP. And you should see it under magnification! If you look at the pic in the Red Book, thats exactly what it looks likeand maybe even better. I'm not kidding. I'm afraid to put it in peroxide so I need it proffessionally cleaned. It looks like it was just minted. Struck on a beautifully round planchet and very well centered.(as alot of vermonts were NOT). I still don't believe it. I was shaking when I started to look at it right out of the ground. Had to have a smoke to calm down. If you guys could see this thing under light you would freak. I'm going to definitely have it proffessionally cleaned. Anyone recommend where I can send this to? I currently have an order being graded at ANACS and can usually come close to most grades. This one HAS to be VF or better! The scanner I use sucks. The first 2 picks are from straight out of the ground. The next are after water. Oh ya, found some other stuff too! LOL- AWSOME link Evolution.

Attachments

• sp03-001.jpg
    sp03-001.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 5,290
  • sp03-002.jpg
    sp03-002.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 5,292
  • sp03-010.jpg
    sp03-010.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 5,296
  • sp03-009.jpg
    sp03-009.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 4,765
  • sp03-011.jpg
    sp03-011.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 4,780
  • sp03-012.jpg
    sp03-012.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 5,263
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Copper in Ma. Ryder 7 var.

Oh YEAH. That is Quite a coin there. :thumbsup: I can say I'm more than a little jealous! :P

-Buck

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congratulations on making the banner. Ryder 7....Nice :thumbsup: More rare than the ryder 6.

Rob

Bertman

Apr 13, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Minelab E-Trac

SWEEEEET!!!! Can't wait to see this one cleaned up...

HH Robert...

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congratulations on a banner of a find! :thumbsup: The details are very sharp indeed, the fact you cleaned it with water and a toothbrush and did not reveal a smooth surface makes it suspect for micro pitting and other corrosion. Personally, I would be cleaning it in peroxide, but I have done hundreds of coins using peroxide and I trust what I am doing, since if the coin has no damage done from corrosion, then peroxide would safely remove the encrusted dirt from the coin. If it does become worst, than that is because the coin was already damaged by corrosion, thus the reason for the encrustation that is still on there after the water and toothbrush cleaning.

Also, if you found another copper at this site, did it look similar in appearance when dirty, if so, did you clean that copper and was it alright or corroded underneath? Sometimes coins found at the same site will be a clue as to how well they do, but like everything else in this world, nothing is set in cement. I found two 1804 Half Cents within 20 feet of each other at the same homestead, one was immaculate while the other one was rather corroded, so go figure.

I can only think of NCS for a cleaning service that would even touch a colonial copper, I am not sure but there is a forum on their website and you might be able to post a photo and ask before sending it out. If the coin is worthy then it could be sent on to NGS for grading.

Here is that specific forum for "Ask NCS" I think if you sign up and post the questions and photos of your coin, you might get somewhat of an answer from a NCS expert. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm&c=4&PHPSESSID=

It is part of the NCS/NGC website: http://www.ncscoin.com/

Don

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

If I were you, I wouldn't clean it at all. :thumbsup: If you clean it and screw it up, you will never forget yourself.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Colonial Zoyboy said:
If I were you, I wouldn't clean it at all. :thumbsup: If you clean it and screw it up, you will never forget yourself.

I have never seen a coin with strong detail be worse after peroxide. It's when it's just patina you can get in trouble. One soak in peroxide doesn't affect the metal, just shows you what you have and maybe you'll be happy, maybe not, but it's nothing any expert could have changed.

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

New England colonial coins are awesome. Nice job. I'd love to find one like it!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

A truly awesome coin find, Hogge!! :thumbsup:

Congrats on the well-deserved banner! I want to see the final pics of your Copper after cleaning!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Awesome find...congrats.

NJ

muttandjeeps

Jul 11, 2008
Moved from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts t
Detector(s) used
The Equinox 800 is the only one I need...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice,Nice,Nice!!! Glad to see that Western Mass is (VERY) well represented. That copper is a once in a lifetime find, congrats on the coin and the banner :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome, totally awesome!!!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Congrats on your banner of a find! I don't recall seeing any posted since Evolution's from last summer. It is definitely the equivalent of a golfer's hole in one or a bowlers 300 game! It will be a tough one to beat.

I am in agreement with Iron Patch and Don. I would have had that baby in a peroxide bath as soon as I came back from detecting! It is good, however, that you didn't do anything that you weren't sure of.

In case you are not sure of the procedure, here is Don's post from quite a while back on cleaning large coppers. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,39135.0.html. I have used it successfully on many coins from colonial coppers to those rotten Wheaties, and have always been happy with the results.

Once again, congratulations on a once in a lifetime find!

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Iron Patch said:
Colonial Zoyboy said:

I have never seen a coin with strong detail be worse after peroxide. It's when it's just patina you can get in trouble. One soak in peroxide doesn't affect the metal, just shows you what you have and maybe you'll be happy, maybe not, but it's nothing any expert could have changed.

In my opinion, the peroxide method sucks. >:( It makes the coppas black, and I don't really care for a black-looking coppa. >:( I love to look at a green coppa than an ugly black one. :icon_sunny:

I did the peroxide method on two coppas before and, let me tell ya what, they ain't purdy anymore. :D

Kyle

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Don in SJ said:
Congratulations on a banner of a find! :thumbsup: The details are very sharp indeed, the fact you cleaned it with water and a toothbrush and did not reveal a smooth surface makes it suspect for micro pitting and other corrosion. Personally, I would be cleaning it in peroxide, but I have done hundreds of coins using peroxide and I trust what I am doing, since if the coin has no damage done from corrosion, then peroxide would safely remove the encrusted dirt from the coin. If it does become worst, than that is because the coin was already damaged by corrosion, thus the reason for the encrustation that is still on there after the water and toothbrush cleaning.

Also, if you found another copper at this site, did it look similar in appearance when dirty, if so, did you clean that copper and was it alright or corroded underneath? Sometimes coins found at the same site will be a clue as to how well they do, but like everything else in this world, nothing is set in cement. I found two 1804 Half Cents within 20 feet of each other at the same homestead, one was immaculate while the other one was rather corroded, so go figure.

I can only think of NCS for a cleaning service that would even touch a colonial copper, I am not sure but there is a forum on their website and you might be able to post a photo and ask before sending it out. If the coin is worthy then it could be sent on to NGS for grading.

Here is that specific forum for "Ask NCS" I think if you sign up and post the questions and photos of your coin, you might get somewhat of an answer from a NCS expert. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm&c=4&PHPSESSID=

It is part of the NCS/NGC website: http://www.ncscoin.com/

Don

If I had a perfect-looking coppa (I guess my 1793 Ship halfpenny counts) :D, I would advise against the peroxide method. >:( Hogge, the coppa has been doyty (dirty) for 225 years and, from my conversations with them (right after coming out of the hole), they prefer to be doyty. :D

Kirk

P.S. I don't want no wax, vaseline, or any other "lubes" on my coppas. :D

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That is truly AWESOME.

WTG :thumbsup:
Nat

Dirt Dobber

Jun 24, 2008
Midlands of S.Carolina
Detector(s) used
R/S Discovery(BH IV) cousin

Wow ! What a find. Congrads on banner & keep us posted on how it all turns out. D.D.

Locke

Oct 16, 2007

Awesome coin and in great condition. :thumbsup:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Sweet Job Hogge....Definetly a once in a lifetime find.Congratulation's to you and on the new Banner find :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions