Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Updated Pics WOW!

Here is the finished product. After the peroxide bath,( as advised from T-Netters and Tony Carlotto). There are a few traces of caked in dirt but all I can say is WOW! Had the pleasure of driving to Great Barrington Ma. and speaking with Tony Carlotto,(numisist and author of "Copper Coins of Vermont"), and also showing him this coin before cleaning. He also recommended the heated peroxide treatment. He took one look and said "What a FANTASTIC find." What town did you find it in?" (he tracks where these things circulated not to steal my spot). " Everything is there!" All the letters, the marks, it's almost perfectly centered, well struck, on a beautiful planchet! Even the eyelashes are there including the iris!" " Ya just don't see that." "This thing went into the ground uncirculated" he said. After examining it he began to take several close up pictures. He kept saying "What a fantastic piece of history". I guess there are 6 known Ryder 7's known to be in uncirculated condition and they are all either off center or not on choice planchets. After I told him I was going to send it to NCS he advised me not to. "They're only going to put environmental damage on it so your just waisting your time and money". So I guess I will keep it. After all, what would I do with $1500 anyway. He wants me to bring it back down to his shop so he can take more pics. He also wants to see and log in some of our other colonials. He's a real nice man. I'm hoping the moderators will see these pics and post these on the banner instead. If you look close enough, some of the original bright toning is still ther after 220 yrs! There is some pitting but not alot, mostly on the landscape front. I guess you can expect that in a copper after 200 yrs. in the ground. I still can't believe this thing. I bet Tony will give me some camera pics as I can see them coming out better, with more detail, than my scanner. GOOD LUCK to ALL.......................HOGGE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sp08-005.jpg 
Views:	2591 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	231213   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sp08-004.jpg 
Views:	2590 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	231214   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sp08-006.jpg 
Views:	2584 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	231215  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800.....To be continued

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

us
    Jan 2007
    South Carolina
    Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
    50 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: 1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Updated Pics WOW!

That is a find of a lifetime...Great detail on that one...

Tony gave you excellent advice, most colonial collectors frown on a coin getting slabbed anyway. Looks beautiful!

Don't forget I am doing the circulation study on NJ coppers, and am in the midst of finalizing the report hopefully before Thanksgiving. So if anybody got any NJ's and not given the information to me, plz try and do it. Also, another collector is study the circulation of Rosa Americana coins, so if anybody has found one, plz contact me and I will give out the info for him to contact you or vica versa.

Don
    "The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
    For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
    The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

That is a great result and exactly what I expected! Good call to keep it. I think you would regret selling it once the money was gone. (and find money goes quick)

Quote Originally Posted by Don in SJ
    Tony gave you excellent advice, most colonial collectors frown on a coin getting slabbed anyway. Looks beautiful!

Don't forget I am doing the circulation study on NJ coppers, and am in the midst of finalizing the report hopefully before Thanksgiving. So if anybody got any NJ's and not given the information to me, plz try and do it. Also, another collector is study the circulation of Rosa Americana coins, so if anybody has found one, plz contact me and I will give out the info for him to contact you or vica versa.

Don

Interesting. Is it JR doing the Rosa coins? I don't know of another beside mine being found in these parts.

Syd M is doing the Rosa coins, I will send you a email I got from him last week, since he knew I found one and my son. Check you email, already forwarded it to you.

Hogge's Vermont copper is a super find and I know that both my son and I have not been able to part with any of our coins (me, just some relics)

Hogge, did Tony recommend any special way of storing the coin? I know when I sent my KGIII clipped Planchet to one of the top collectors so he could study it, he sent it back to me in a cloth pouch protector, which is kind of nice.....
    Don
    "The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
    For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
    The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

Quote Originally Posted by Don in SJ
    Syd M is doing the Rosa coins, I will send you a email I got from him last week, since he knew I found one and my son. Check you email, already forwarded it to you.

Hogge's Vermont copper is a super find and I know that both my son and I have not been able to part with any of our coins (me, just some relics)

Hogge, did Tony recommend any special way of storing the coin? I know when I sent my rare KGIII clipped Planchet to one of the top collectors so he could study it, he sent it back to me in a cloth pouch protector, which is kind of nice.....
    Don
    Didn't say anything about how to store it but recommended olive oil soaking for a couple weeks to a month. I just coated it in vaseline and wiped it down after a couple mins. to get detail out. I'll have to ask him about storage when I see him.
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800.....To be continued

us
    Best find 1819 Large Cent

May 2008
    Pittsfield ma
    Whites PRIZM IV,Whites M-6

WTG bud
    Keep it dude
    G1
    Golden1

Nov 2007
    Denver, Colorado
    Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
    226 times
    Banner Finds (1)

All that I can say is, beautiful.
    CurbdiggerCarl

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2006
    Fremont, Ohio
    Fisher F-75, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560
    39 times

Great job cleaning that coin! That sure is a beauty, I would have to keep it myself, unless a museum bought it and I could go visit it when ever I wanted. It is hard to put a price on that kind of history.

Steve
    Research and ye shall find!

Apr 2007
    Michigan
    White's V3i w. D2 or Super12 White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3 Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
    4 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

"The stuff that dreams are made of.."

Congratulations! That has to be one of the best finds ever for a Prizm IV. I hope you get their current $100 for posting the story to the White's site. Heck, they ought to double it for this beauty.

us
    Celtic Treasure Hunter

Apr 2005
    Southeastern Ireland
    1 times
    Banner Finds (1)

What a great find! You've gone about the preservation and fact finding the right way as well, this should be a lesson to any of us that find historic coins.
    The only ones for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the sky.

Zym

Jan 2007
    Gig Harbor WA
    1 times

Wow! I would probably fall over if I found that. It turned out really nice. Congratz on the find, and good decision to not clean it until you talked to an expert. I cringe when I hear of people putting unidentified coins in a rock tumbler.

us
    Apr 2008
    Midwesterner
    DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
    254 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

That is exactly why we hunt....Great find...Keep it and cherish it forever! Or sell it and buy some gold when the price is right and soon double your cash...LOL....Great find....jgas
    JGAS

Jan 2007
    XLT, Quattro, X-Terra, Sovreign, Whites Goldmaster
    1 times

What a great find!! I've lighted up your pix a bit.
    Slabman
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coin1a.jpg 
Views:	1320 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	237321   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coin1.jpg 
Views:	1301 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	237322  

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors