Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Updated Pics WOW!

It's been a long dry spell for me but today changed everything. My brother and I decided to try exploring for a new spot and found a DANDY! After following a stone wall deep in an area we've always had good luck in, we came across a foundation we never knew of. 15 mins into it I found this. Right outa da ground I could read the date! I knew I had a fabulous coin that was going to clean up nice. I have only hit it with water and a soft toothbrush but WHAT DETAIL! The scans still show alot of crud, but holding it in my hand under light it LOOKS MINT! I MEAN MINT!!!!! Every tiny detail shows! The leaves in the damn trees even! Every letter, the eyes in the sun,the small little lines in the back support for the plow, the lines in the rays around the eye. EVERYTHING IS SHARP. And you should see it under magnification! If you look at the pic in the Red Book, thats exactly what it looks likeand maybe even better. I'm not kidding. I'm afraid to put it in peroxide so I need it proffessionally cleaned. It looks like it was just minted. Struck on a beautifully round planchet and very well centered.(as alot of vermonts were NOT). I still don't believe it. I was shaking when I started to look at it right out of the ground. Had to have a smoke to calm down. If you guys could see this thing under light you would freak. I'm going to definitely have it proffessionally cleaned. Anyone recommend where I can send this to? I currently have an order being graded at ANACS and can usually come close to most grades. This one HAS to be VF or better! The scanner I use sucks. The first 2 picks are from straight out of the ground. The next are after water. Oh ya, found some other stuff too! LOL- AWSOME link Evolution.

Attachments

• sp03-001.jpg
    sp03-001.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 5,290
  • sp03-002.jpg
    sp03-002.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 5,292
  • sp03-010.jpg
    sp03-010.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 5,296
  • sp03-009.jpg
    sp03-009.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 4,765
  • sp03-011.jpg
    sp03-011.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 4,780
  • sp03-012.jpg
    sp03-012.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 5,263
Upvote 0
OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Updated Pics WOW!

Here is the finished product. After the peroxide bath,( as advised from T-Netters and Tony Carlotto). There are a few traces of caked in dirt but all I can say is WOW! Had the pleasure of driving to Great Barrington Ma. and speaking with Tony Carlotto,(numisist and author of "Copper Coins of Vermont"), and also showing him this coin before cleaning. He also recommended the heated peroxide treatment. He took one look and said "What a FANTASTIC find." What town did you find it in?" (he tracks where these things circulated not to steal my spot). " Everything is there!" All the letters, the marks, it's almost perfectly centered, well struck, on a beautiful planchet! Even the eyelashes are there including the iris!" " Ya just don't see that." "This thing went into the ground uncirculated" he said. After examining it he began to take several close up pictures. He kept saying "What a fantastic piece of history". I guess there are 6 known Ryder 7's known to be in uncirculated condition and they are all either off center or not on choice planchets. After I told him I was going to send it to NCS he advised me not to. "They're only going to put environmental damage on it so your just waisting your time and money". So I guess I will keep it. After all, what would I do with $1500 anyway. :( :'( He wants me to bring it back down to his shop so he can take more pics. He also wants to see and log in some of our other colonials. He's a real nice man. I'm hoping the moderators will see these pics and post these on the banner instead. If you look close enough, some of the original bright toning is still ther after 220 yrs! There is some pitting but not alot, mostly on the landscape front. I guess you can expect that in a copper after 200 yrs. in the ground. I still can't believe this thing. I bet Tony will give me some camera pics as I can see them coming out better, with more detail, than my scanner. GOOD LUCK to ALL.......................HOGGE :thumbsup:

Attachments

• sp08-006.jpg
    sp08-006.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 2,642
  • sp08-004.jpg
    sp08-004.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 2,651
  • sp08-005.jpg
    sp08-005.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 2,642
  • sp08-003.jpg
    sp08-003.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 2,653

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Updated Pics WOW!

That is a find of a lifetime...Great detail on that one... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tony gave you excellent advice, most colonial collectors frown on a coin getting slabbed anyway. :) Looks beautiful!

Don't forget I am doing the circulation study on NJ coppers, and am in the midst of finalizing the report hopefully before Thanksgiving. So if anybody got any NJ's and not given the information to me, plz try and do it. Also, another collector is study the circulation of Rosa Americana coins, so if anybody has found one, plz contact me and I will give out the info for him to contact you or vica versa.

Don

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a great result and exactly what I expected! Good call to keep it. :thumbsup: I think you would regret selling it once the money was gone. (and find money goes quick)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
Tony gave you excellent advice, most colonial collectors frown on a coin getting slabbed anyway. :) Looks beautiful!

Don't forget I am doing the circulation study on NJ coppers, and am in the midst of finalizing the report hopefully before Thanksgiving. So if anybody got any NJ's and not given the information to me, plz try and do it. Also, another collector is study the circulation of Rosa Americana coins, so if anybody has found one, plz contact me and I will give out the info for him to contact you or vica versa.

Don

Interesting. Is it JR doing the Rosa coins? I don't know of another beside mine being found in these parts.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Syd M is doing the Rosa coins, I will send you a email I got from him last week, since he knew I found one and my son. Check you email, already forwarded it to you.

Hogge's Vermont copper is a super find and I know that both my son and I have not been able to part with any of our coins (me, just some relics) :)

Hogge, did Tony recommend any special way of storing the coin? I know when I sent my KGIII clipped Planchet to one of the top collectors so he could study it, he sent it back to me in a cloth pouch protector, which is kind of nice.....
Don

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
Syd M is doing the Rosa coins, I will send you a email I got from him last week, since he knew I found one and my son. Check you email, already forwarded it to you.

Hogge's Vermont copper is a super find and I know that both my son and I have not been able to part with any of our coins (me, just some relics) :)

Hogge, did Tony recommend any special way of storing the coin? I know when I sent my rare KGIII clipped Planchet to one of the top collectors so he could study it, he sent it back to me in a cloth pouch protector, which is kind of nice.....
Don
Didn't say anything about how to store it but recommended olive oil soaking for a couple weeks to a month. I just coated it in vaseline and wiped it down after a couple mins. to get detail out. I'll have to ask him about storage when I see him.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All that I can say is, beautiful.
CurbdiggerCarl

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great job cleaning that coin! That sure is a beauty, I would have to keep it myself, unless a museum bought it and I could go visit it when ever I wanted. It is hard to put a price on that kind of history.

Steve

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger

"The stuff that dreams are made of.."

Congratulations! That has to be one of the best finds ever for a Prizm IV. I hope you get their current $100 for posting the story to the White's site. Heck, they ought to double it for this beauty.

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland

What a great find! You've gone about the preservation and fact finding the right way as well, this should be a lesson to any of us that find historic coins.

Zym

Jan 19, 2007
Gig Harbor WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend ( 6", 11", and 13x13.5" coils)
Ancient Garret Groundhog AM-2

Wow! I would probably fall over if I found that. It turned out really nice. Congratz on the find, and good decision to not clean it until you talked to an expert. I cringe when I hear of people putting unidentified coins in a rock tumbler.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

That is exactly why we hunt....Great find...Keep it and cherish it forever! Or sell it and buy some gold when the price is right and soon double your cash...LOL....Great find....jgas

Slabman

Jan 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
XLT, Quattro, X-Terra, Sovreign, Whites Goldmaster

What a great find!! I've lighted up your pix a bit.
Slabman

Attachments

• Coin1a.jpg
    Coin1a.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,386
  • Coin1.jpg
    Coin1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,372

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread