Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Updated Pics WOW!

It's been a long dry spell for me but today changed everything. My brother and I decided to try exploring for a new spot and found a DANDY! After following a stone wall deep in an area we've always had good luck in, we came across a foundation we never knew of. 15 mins into it I found this. Right outa da ground I could read the date! I knew I had a fabulous coin that was going to clean up nice. I have only hit it with water and a soft toothbrush but WHAT DETAIL! The scans still show alot of crud, but holding it in my hand under light it LOOKS MINT! I MEAN MINT!!!!! Every tiny detail shows! The leaves in the damn trees even! Every letter, the eyes in the sun,the small little lines in the back support for the plow, the lines in the rays around the eye. EVERYTHING IS SHARP. And you should see it under magnification! If you look at the pic in the Red Book, thats exactly what it looks likeand maybe even better. I'm not kidding. I'm afraid to put it in peroxide so I need it proffessionally cleaned. It looks like it was just minted. Struck on a beautifully round planchet and very well centered.(as alot of vermonts were NOT). I still don't believe it. I was shaking when I started to look at it right out of the ground. Had to have a smoke to calm down. If you guys could see this thing under light you would freak. I'm going to definitely have it proffessionally cleaned. Anyone recommend where I can send this to? I currently have an order being graded at ANACS and can usually come close to most grades. This one HAS to be VF or better! The scanner I use sucks. The first 2 picks are from straight out of the ground. The next are after water. Oh ya, found some other stuff too! LOL- AWSOME link Evolution.

Attachments

• sp03-001.jpg
    sp03-001.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 5,290
  • sp03-002.jpg
    sp03-002.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 5,292
  • sp03-010.jpg
    sp03-010.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 5,296
  • sp03-009.jpg
    sp03-009.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 4,765
  • sp03-011.jpg
    sp03-011.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 4,780
  • sp03-012.jpg
    sp03-012.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 5,263
Upvote 0

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Copper in Ma.

WOW!! What an awesome find :thumbsup: I see more great finds in your future :wink:

Take care,
watercolor

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That appears to be an awesome find, even though I have no idea what you found (I have never seen one before). Hopefully you can get it cleaned and repost some pics :thumbsup:

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Wow, Hogge. Even without looking at the Redbook I can tell that is an AWESOME find! :icon_cheers: That is what is so exciting about hunting in Massachusetts. You come across coins like this that are almost impossible elsewhere. I see a vacation next summer in the Berkshires! :wink: :D ;D ;D

Ok, just checked. I think it's safe to say this will make the Banner. $1200+ coin I would estimate. Wow. Sure beats Nate's "half dime" pocket spill. ;D ;D :icon_sunny:

Bob

springcypress

Jun 9, 2008
Cypress Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 150

are these scans or pics?

I want to believe you on the level of detail, but from the pics (which I hope are scans) I just don't see it.

Regardless, I wouldn't do any cleaning on this one other than water. And I would send it off to be professionally restored. If it is in fact a VF then you're looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of $2500. There's quite a bit of dropoff going to the F grade but still would be worth it in my book.

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Did you Hunt with Golden1... or is he with Rico now ... ???

Dude that is Righteous Coinage ... :thumbsup:

Do you need the Suave ... Give me the AOK

Nick
You know RICO is ALL mine Nick. We should hunt on Sat. with pics of us both to follow. Rock On! Found some other nice relics on this hunt and will post later. Peace

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

crazyjarhead said:
That appears to be an awesome find, even though I have no idea what you found (I have never seen one before). Hopefully you can get it cleaned and repost some pics :thumbsup:
1786 Vermont Copper of the "Vermontensium" variety. :thumbsup:

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

VERY, VERY nice !!!! Congrats!

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

WAHOOOOOOOO, that Vermont coppa is AMAZING! :icon_salut: I seek and find coppas and Colonial relics with an extreme passion! :headbang: You, buddy, scored on a 103-yard kickoff return on that recovery!

Now, get back out there and find us another one...with a 1731 Spanish cross pistareen in the same hole! :icon_sunny:

Kyle

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I can see the detail that you're talking about. Just hidden behind a little dirt is all. I was fortunate enough to have found one myself in August of last year. It's my avatar picture <--------- over there. I would definitely have it professionally cleaned. You wouldn't want to risk doing that yourself. My coin made the banner and yours should as well. Definitely not a coin you see every day. The example that I dug looked great on the "all seeing eye" side of the coin but had some wear in the center of the coin on the other side that affected the clarity of the plow. Hopefully you'll find some more at that site. Get back there soon.

Rob

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mirage said:
Wow, Hogge. Even without looking at the Redbook I can tell that is an AWESOME find! :icon_cheers: That is what is so exciting about hunting in Massachusetts. You come across coins like this that are almost impossible elsewhere. I see a vacation next summer in the Berkshires! :wink: :D ;D ;D

Ok, just checked. I think it's safe to say this will make the Banner. $1200+ coin I would estimate. Wow. Sure beats Nate's "half dime" pocket spill. ;D ;D :icon_sunny:

Bob
Thanks Mirage. If this doesn't make the banner I prob never will. If you could see this thing in person it's just absolutely beyond words for me to see a copper like this come from the ground. I've detected for 10 or more yrs. and this is truly my best coin find to date. The scans show alot of detail, but the dated side or Obverse is actually in as good as shape as the reverse but didn't come out in the scan. I HATE THAT. That's why I tried the color paper to show more detail. I think I'll make some calls tomarrow on sending it away. If your in the Berkshires next yr. get ahold of me and Golden1 and we'll take you on a HUNT!!!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

By the way, the coin I found was a ryder 7 variety. The ryder 8 variety is more rare. I cant tell which yours is with the coin not being cleaned yet but there is definitely enough detail there to make an accurate attribution once the coin is cleaned up. Good luck. Keep your fingers crossed for a ryder 8 variety.

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hunterinthesky said:
Great find :thumbsup: How deep was it?
My prizm IV bounce beween 4-6". It also bounced between bottle cap and 1c. :thumbsup:

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.

Thats a find we all dream about,good job.I think thats a good move on a coin like that ,to let the pros clean :thumbsup: I hope you can hit another, relicdude :thumbsup: Cool link EVO

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Absolutely a BANNER find. Awesome detail too! I'm speechless and VERY jealous!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Super find but im not sure who would clean it for you.

I'd actually trust the peroxide more than I would anyone else! But that's just me. Looking forward to seeing the final result. If the detail is that strong you shouldn't have any problems. If it's not quite as good as you think, that's when the peroxide can make a coin worse than what you expect. Good luck in getting it pretty whatever you decide.

PS... I know the feeling but it was about cleaning a good button or two several years back. When you get a good one you really don't want to mess it up!

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5

Nice, REALLY NICE!! :thumbsup: I'm still looking for the rare and well..........unknown Ohio copper. ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread