BAGD THREE BUTTONS AT LATE 1700S SITE

Cobalt*Blue

Oct 9, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Bounty Hunter 3300 w/4" coil
BAG'D THREE BUTTONS AT LATE 1700'S SITE

I have wanted to hunt an un-lived in late 1700's home site for a while now. This summer I drove by the home and found that the old wood was being salvaged and the house leveled. After the 200+ year old beams were removed and most of the debris hauled off, the cellar hole was filled and the area bulldosed. It seems that the property was acquired by a large developer and is to be added to adjoining land and become yet another housing development in the near future.
The hope of picking up some interesting finds helped in the godawful conditions for detecting. Broken china, bottles, and pottery fragments were strewn over much of the site. It seems that the dosser had found the old dump area that all older homes have. There was a chance that some finds could still be located near the surface but I was going to have to work for them. These three buttons and 40-50 trash recoveries are the fruits of Wednesday and Thursday's short after work hunts. All were near the surface and were "fugg-ly" signals that I dug only because they were more repeatable and solid than the other zillion I investigated. I love to find the coins but these Buttons made me very happy. If you have any information on them, please feel free to add it to this board as I know very little about them (age?). I thank you in advance. The Rosette is heavy and I believe made of Pewter. The brass Buttons both have strong shanks and were treated to a brief hydrogen peroxide bath and then covered in a thin coat of wax. I can read "EXTRA" on the smaller of the brass Buttons. hh blue

Attachments

• IMG_1140.JPG
    IMG_1140.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_1141.JPG
    IMG_1141.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_1142.JPG
    IMG_1142.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_1143.JPG
    IMG_1143.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_1147.JPG
    IMG_1147.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 360
Upvote 0

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: BAG'D THREE BUTTONS AT LATE 1700'S SITE

:thumbsup: Good finds for the conditions you had!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Those early buttons with the rim are a neat find. I've dug a few but that's in a lot of buttons. My best one has a thistle in the middle. I would give up on that place yet as one little spot could be the key to victory.

ukeden

Jun 16, 2006
cumbria
Detector(s) used
ace 250,whites spectrum

nice buttons dont give up thier could be more :thumbsup:

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

I dunno anything about buttons but do appreciate them. The one on the left looks likes it's gonna crumble

OP
OP
Cobalt*Blue

Cobalt*Blue

Oct 9, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Bounty Hunter 3300 w/4" coil

Thank you IA.Furtrade, Iron Patch, ukeden, and allen for the kind responses.

Ukeden, I will tell you more about the cleaning method that you inquired about.

First, no tap water and just a dry tooth brush cleaning. Since the detail was promising and the shanks looked strong I gave them a 3 or 4 minute bath in very hot hydrogen peroxide. When they came out of the bath I rinsed them and immediately dried them with a hair drier. At this stage they had the etched powdery white surface you see on a lot of object that had a nice long dirt nap. I then heated them further with the hair drier and pressed a small sliver of wax on the button and continued to use the hair drier to melt the wax and "blow" it around to cover the button completely in a very thin layer. Some may say that the wax step is cheating and only to "pretty" the find up. Since it is a reversable and the detail improvement is huge; I do it. hh blue

hunterinthesky

Aug 16, 2008
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300 - DX-1 Pinpointer

Ah yes. Buttons. Wonder where I could find those types of beauties in my area. Very nice find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread