Three firsts for me - a 1930s pocket spill - a five silver day!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Three firsts for me - a 1930's pocket spill - a five silver day!

Well, today started out kind of lousy - forgot my headphones & had to go back home for them. :( When I got there, I discovered that my car had been egged as collateral damage when my neighbor's teenager's car got it. >:( After washing the car and getting my phones, I steamed back to join Watercolor and our friend Mike. We hunted our normal area for a while without much to show for it and then decided to go to a different location. I'm new to the Minelab, and I'm trying to learn the SE & Sunray probe I bought from GoldenRoyBoy. Some of you know that it can be a little frustrating. :icon_scratch:

We looked around for a little bit and started to head back to go to yet another area. I was scanning the ground by a trail with the 6" round coil as I went, only half-heartedly, too. On one pass, I got a high silvery coin sound. I've had those before, and they usually didn't pan out, so I wasn't too enthused. I cut a plug and scanned, and the signal stayed loud & clear. I went a little farther and out came a gorgeous '23 Merc! :) Watercolor was nowhere to be seen, and he didn't hear my joyful exclamations. I thought I should scan the area "just in case". About 15 feet away, I got another similar tone. I cut the ground (very dry & powdery in this spot), scooped a little, and out came another gorgeous '23 Merc! :) I got on the phone right away and told Watercolor to get his coil back over here! Mike had gone home due to detector troubles, but he returned with his spare right about this time.

I re-scanned that second hole and still got a good signal. A little more fishing and there appeared my first Standing Liberty quarter! ;D (no hint of a date left, but looks like a 1918-1924 based on the style). By this time, the poor guys were trying to hunt the area and find their own coins, but each time I pulled another one out of the hole, they just had to had to stop and come over to see it. I checked the hole again and behold - yet another signal. This time a gorgeous '24 Merc. woke up and said hello (actually she said ouch, because I nicked her in my excitement). One more check of the hole revealed two buffalo nickels - firsts for me (a '16 & a '37) Sorry, I nicked the '16, too. :( I double and tripple-checked that spot to make sure there were no more coins and covered the hole. After passing the coins around for a little show & tell, back into the water they went and I began swinging again.

About two feet away, I got yet another good tone. Right about this time I was beginning to feel like Riccardo_NY. Were you out there buddy? I was thinking about you! I don't have any idea how you find the patience to set up a video camera and film when you get those good signals! I cut the plug and out popped my first silver quarter - and it was a 1914 Barber! All of these coins were 3-5 inches deep, and within 15 feet of each other. ;D

Well, this day goes down as my best hunt ever. Twenty minutes sure made up for days and days of pretty much fruitless swinging. I don't think I'll ever forget the excitement of that 20 minutes, and I hope everyone on T-Net gets to feel the same thing soon. I was very happy with the day's finds, and grateful to have two great detecting buddies there to share the excitement with.

Sorry for the long post, but I know some of you like the stories and the pics. :wink:

Attachments

• Spill Hole.jpg
    Spill Hole.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 810
  • Spill.jpg
    Spill.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 811
  • Barber Hole 2.jpg
    Barber Hole 2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 810
  • Silver heads 2.jpg
    Silver heads 2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 807
  • Silver tails 2.jpg
    Silver tails 2.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 810
  • Buffalo heads.jpg
    Buffalo heads.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 809
  • Buffalo tails.jpg
    Buffalo tails.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 810
Upvote 0

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Three firsts for me - a 1930's pocket spill - a five silver day!

Beautiful silver. I'm still looking for my first SLQ.

dtwilson3

Jul 11, 2008
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Fisher 1212, Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker

Great finds!! You deserved it after all that time of finding nothing. WTG!

dtw

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Wow,

Big congrats on a nice strike. Holes like that are rare. Sorry to hear about your car. Good karma came back your way for it. I just bought a new car about 1.5 yrs ago. It's been egged twice for no reason. Just to have the pleasure of destroying things.

I have always drove nice used cars. Never had a egg hit any other one of my cars. Matter of fact my really nice olds sits right next to the wife's G6 and they hit the 6 and not my ride thank god. If ever catch anyone there in trouble.

HH Jer

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It was a real treat to see you pulling all those Buffalos
and copious amounts of silver out of that little, tiny hole ;D :thumbsup:

I'm really glad I was there to bear witness :wink:

Are you ready for tomorrow? ::)

See ya!
Mark

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

Holy smokes man! What a day you had! SLQ, Barber and mercs?.........nice! How do I find the patience?......well, my hunting buddy Tom can back me up on this one..........whenever I get a good signal that I think is going to be good, I stop and pull out a cigarette to smoke for added luck. It's a ritual of sorts. That's why my voice sounds weird in many of my videos with a cigarette stuck in my mouth. I then take a moment to bring out the camera :) It's become just as much a thrill to get these on film as it is to find them.
Now tell us, which one was your favorite quarter, the barber or the standing liberty?

Best,
Ricardo

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro

Congratulations! Wow! Way to Go!
You Da Man!!!
I LOVE that coin spill feeling! I'm happy for you! (maybe just a little jealous, but it sure sounds like you earned it!)

Love the story. Post was just the right size.

Congratulations, and thank you for sharing the story.

Mp

HH!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

If you're going to find a pocket spill I guess you might as well do it right....Awesome....That would have been killer on video.Great Job!!! :thumbsup:

BandB1

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2008
SE Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great Stuff!

Good luck,
HH.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

BIG CONGRATS> That will make up for that last Merc you found. ;DThats a rare find. :thumbsup: Is that the 3 leaf plant next to the coins that causes so much misery to humans? ;D

OP
OP
kimsdad

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Evolution said:
Beautiful silver. I'm still looking for my first SLQ.

Thanks Evolution! I hope you get it next hunt!

dtwilson3 said:
Great finds!! You deserved it after all that time of finding nothing. WTG!

Thanks a bunch! I was starting to get a little impatient!

JerDfx said:
Wow,
Big congrats on a nice strike. Holes like that are rare. Sorry to hear about your car. Good karma came back your way for it.

Thanks JerDfx. I'm glad I got the egg off B4 it baked on!

jeffk said:
awsome!!!

Thanks, man!

watercolor said:
It was a real treat to see you pulling all those Buffalos
and copious amounts of silver out of that little, tiny hole ;D :thumbsup: Are you ready for tomorrow? ::)

Thanks Mark,
Tomorrow is your turn, buddy!

Ricardo_NY1 said:
Holy smokes man! What a day you had! SLQ, Barber and mercs?.........nice! How do I find the patience?......well, my hunting buddy Tom can back me up on this one..........whenever I get a good signal that I think is going to be good, I stop and pull out a cigarette to smoke for added luck. It's a ritual of sorts. That's why my voice sounds weird in many of my videos with a cigarette stuck in my mouth. I then take a moment to bring out the camera :) It's become just as much a thrill to get these on film as it is to find them.
Now tell us, which one was your favorite quarter, the barber or the standing liberty?

Best,
Ricardo

Thanks, Riccardo! Any more like this & maybe I'll take up smoking so I can film them, too! ;D
Watercolor doesn't agree with me, but I think the Barber is the better looking quarter - and my favorite find of the day.

inneedoftherapy said:
What an awesome day you had ! Those are some really sweet finds. Congrats!

Thanks a bunch!

mpostma said:
Congratulations! Wow! Way to Go!
You Da Man!!!
I LOVE that coin spill feeling! I'm happy for you! (maybe just a little jealous, but it sure sounds like you earned it!)
Love the story. Post was just the right size.
Congratulations, and thank you for sharing the story.

Thanks a ton, Mp!

Neil

Locke

Oct 16, 2007

That's some nice silver there. Congrats! :thumbsup:

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A super day for you, Kims Dad!!! :thumbsup:

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

Thanks, Riccardo! Any more like this & maybe I'll take up smoking so I can film them, too!
Watercolor doesn't agree with me, but I think the Barber is the better looking quarter - and my favorite find of the day.

Watercolor and I then think the same! I love the SLQ's........but both are nice silver coins regardless!

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahh, long do I miss the days of finding that much old silver. Actually, I've never found that much old silver, especially a Standing and a Barber quarter. I salute thee!
CurbdiggerCarl

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE

Congrats on that big haul!!!!
Is that poison ivy i see?

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado

Damn Dude Neil,
I want that detector back; I sent you my silver sniffing SE by mistake! Lol!
Congrats my buddy! I love all that silver! You definitely had a fantastical day!
Seems you and the 6 inch coil are doing just fine also.

I hope tomorrow's even better!
GRB

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5

Now that's a good days hunt, congratulations. Mercs, buffalos, a barber and a SLQ, it doesn't get much better. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread