A Pair of Jacks and a Pair of Queens !

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Sounds like a pretty good hand, if you're playing poker. Two Pair? Well I was poking, but not cards. I was poking around the soccer complex..well "A" soccer complex anyway. Not the same one that I've had such good luck at the last few hunts I've been out detecting. I TRIED to go back to that complex (in a nearby town) but somehow or another I kind of forgot that it was Saturday.. DUHHHHH.. <smacking forehead>
Yeah yeah yeah.. I forgot what freakin' day of the week it was. <rolling eyes> I've been working too much and a "day off" is a day off. Unfortunately, Saturday is the PRIMARY day that the soccer complex is in use. *sigh* I had visions of "mowing the lawn" with my detector.. picking up handfulls and handfulls of clad and other goodies. All those visions evaporated when I turned into the complex and saw that the parking lots were full, and the fields were crawling with brightly colored and striped, knee socked, shin-padded kiddies of all ages.. and gaggles of game goers lining every available sideline in their folding camp chairs and "sun-brellas" and coolers.
Oh don't get me wrong, I was very pleased to see so many people! That just means more and more to find... alas.. another time. What to do, what to do? The complex was a bust so I decided to check out a couple of school playgrounds in that town. Hey! It's Saturday<rolling eyes> Nobody's at school on Saturday.
Nope.. nobody there.. except the construction crews and heavy equipment at one school.. and locked gates at the second school. Dang It! I'm all dressed up and nowhere to go? (geared up.. dressed up.. whatever! Knee pads, finds bag, utility belt, sunglasses.. dressed up)
Resigning myself to finding somewhere closer to home I headed back to MY town. On the way I decided that I might check out the soccer complex just a few miles from my house, near where I work. So I made the appropriate route corrections and left turns till I pulled into the park with the soccer complex. Yeah, there were people there too. BUT, there were some playing fields that were not being used. So guess what I did?
I parked my truck, grabbed my stick (detector) and started swingin'. I picked up a few targets before I even got to the playing field, a couple of memorial cents and one quarter. At the actual playing field, freshly mown (not detected.. lawn mower..cut the grass "mown") there were perfect "lanes" laid out for me to follow to keep straight lines as I detected. COOL!
This park is a little newer, at least the soccer complex portion anyway, than the complex in the other town. I was a little disappointed that I was finding so many pull tabs, but hey, they are a given just about anytime you detect anyway. Right? <shrug>

9-6-08 004crap.jpg

Along with the tabs there were some targets that were somewhat unique to sports fields.. soccer, football, baseball etc. Those would be the screw in part or the "cleat" of athletic shoes (cleats). I found three of them today. Two of the same design and another that was somewhat different.

9-6-08 004cleats.jpg

Two of a kind? I would turn out to have three different "two of a kinds" today. The cleats, then a couple of Queens.... Canadian Pennies. <grin> Queen Elizabeth(s) Later I would get one then a second very happy discoveries. But before that I found some other junk and odds and ends. The foil cover to someones "pair" of contact lenses. (hmmm.. this two of a kind stuff is getting good!)

9-6-08 005contacts.jpg

I found a part of some pendant or necklace that looked like an indian arrowhead.. I found one little ring.. looks like something that would come out of a gumball machine, it's aluminum. <shrug>

9-6-08 004Arrowhead.jpg 9-6-08 006uglyring.jpg

I was picking up all kinds of stuff on this soccer field, but it was one of the full sized "regulation" fields, not one of the halfsized fields for half pints. <grin> It being hot and somewhat humid from the rainfall the previous day, I opted to only hunt one half of this field. Or rather, from one end to the centerline (50 yard line?) of the "pitch", and back to the goal line. Even with this abbreviated search pattern I was doing pretty good. Near the center of the field I got a big target reading. Not as exciting at you might think, however, because I'd been getting them a LOT this afternoon. I was excited the first few times, but they all turned out to be "sprinkler heads" for watering the playing field. *sigh* So, when I got this target near the center of the field I almost didn't bother to dig, thinking it was another sprinkler head. But I'm glad I did! Out popped a Kennedy Half! Sweet! Unfortunately it was a 1973 minting.. no silver here. <shrug> Oh well. It's still a HALF! I've only found four of these in a year and a half of detecting, and one of those was last week at the OTHER soccer complex. <grin> Well, as you've probably already guessed, it would not be the only one found today either! JFK.. John F. Kennedy.. "Jack". I found a SECOND HALF about a half hour later.. I had a "pair" of "Jacks" !!! <grinning>

9-6-08 002twoJacks.jpg 9-6-08 003JackBacks.jpg

A very good day indeed, even if I had to search somewhere other than where I had planned on hunting.
I might not have found as much clad this time out, but I only searched half of one field and it probably hasn't been used as much as the soccer complex fields that I have been hunting recently. No matter, I was pleased, and I'll definitely be checking out the other half of this field along with all the other pitches (playing fields) here at this complex that is closer to my house. Here's all the clad from today's hunt.. including the two Canadian cents, and the one lone Wheat penny that I found today too.

9-6-08 001clad.jpg

$7.02 is still more than the gas I used getting to and from my day's hunt. A Bonus! <smile> I hope the rest of you are having good luck as well.

As always.. Happy Hunting Everyone!

Frodov

Upvote 0

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
"gaggles of game goers" - Fro, I can honestly say that you are the most colorful "poster" here that I've had the pleasure of reading so far. I'm guaranteed a smile every time. With all the diggin' you been doin' I just might start calling you "FroDog" ;D

Great job today with the "Jacks" and "Queens"... :thumbsup:

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
DD-777 said:
"gaggles of game goers" - Fro, I can honestly say that you are the most colorful "poster" here that I've had the pleasure of reading so far. I'm guaranteed a smile every time. With all the diggin' you been doin' I just might start calling you "FroDog" ;D

Great job today with the "Jacks" and "Queens"... :thumbsup:

I hate when ya pull into a spot to find it's crowded.
Oh well, it turned out great in the end for you. :thumbsup:

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool digs and cool story as usual with great inflection. I feel as though I was there watching you detect. :thumbsup:

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great pics and story ! and some nice finds congrats :thumbsup:

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Thanks for taking us along with ya again Fro! Always so much fun no matter what you find! Congrats on the two halves! :thumbsup:

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you always do great at the fields, wtg big time and boy you always get alotta clad too.. congrats fro :thumbsup:

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs!

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Cynangyl said:
Thanks for taking us along with ya again Fro! Always so much fun no matter what you find! Congrats on the two halves! :thumbsup:

I never thought about it that way before Cyna.. <grinning> I guess I *DO* take all you folks along with me when I go detecting. Dang! That little truck of mine is CROWDED! <laughing>. I'm glad my meager story telling ability can entertain or amuse so many others. And to think I was just sharing my adventures.. I didn't know I was packing everyone around with me. Oh well.. you and everyone else is welcomed... but I'm not paying for lunch! I mean I can find a bit of clad, but SHEESH! Them's a lot of cheeseburgers and fries! Know what I mean?<giggle>

Happy Hunting Everyone!

Frodov

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Frodov,

Now you know why your gas milage has been so bad. The cab and the bed was full so I had to sit on the tailgate, lol... I didn't even dare to try and figure out what the 2 jacks and 2 queens were. I knew it couldn't be playing cards though, that would have been too obvious and you never do that, lol. You always do have a great story and a great imagination. Nice finds too.... I used to live right beside JFK.... John Franklin Kennedy. No close relation though. He was just as poor as me, lol.

DANGLANGLEY

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
I've been playing around with Google Earth, and Paintshop for Windows.. I thought I'd post a couple or pictures showing a birdseye view of the Soccer Complex near my home. And a closer view of the field that I found the two Kennedy Half Dollar coins. Be Nice.. this is my first attempt at this sort of thing. Well first with labels and what-not. <grin>

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

SoccerComplexMastersonStationPark.jpg

TwoJackSoccerField.jpg

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Frodov,
Greetings from Tennessee. Another great hunt, and findings. Thanks for taking me along.
Joe

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
TN-Joe said:
Frodov,
Greetings from Tennessee. Another great hunt, and findings. Thanks for taking me along.
Joe

Thanks Joe... and you're welcome.. just hop in the back with everyone else! <grin>

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
weasel606 said:
great pics and story ! and some nice finds congrats :thumbsup:

Well I'm still working on the photos.. getting better, but a long way to go yet. I'm experimenting with screen shots saved from Google Earth now too. Do you or does anyone out there know of a good editor. I'm using paint for Windows to add the graphics and text to the pics for now. Is there something better out there or easier to use? I'm all ears.. <grin> And that's not to say that my ears are that big.. just that I'm listening. <grin>

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions