Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After weeks of living vicariously through other people's posts of their great finds, I said enough is enough. Between starting a new job bartending, complete with day and night shifts, I have had little time to detect. A place nearby where I live recently was given the okay to detect. We had been there before the trespassing signs had been posted, but save for a Seated Half, nothing substantial was ever dug there. Way too much trash, ground hard as stone, the usual excuses to find somewhere easier to dig. They are now starting to prepare the land for condos, and have been starting to dig up the area. Hit the area early Saturday morning, and after about five minutes, dug a 1905 V-Nickel. Nothing amazing, but always a good sign. Next appeared a 1900 Cheyenne Frontier Day souvenir badge, in great shape. The constant lighting of my votive candles was starting to pay off. Then a 1899 Indian, followed by one of the ugliest cameo broaches that I've ever dug. (Bright red, made out of plastic, or celluloid) Then the usual junk, scrap brass, buttons, etc. Then I dug my very first railroad baggage claim, a Union & Central Pacific Railroad's. It has a "Thomas Patent Feb 19th, 1867" imprint on the top of the tag. That got me going. Soon after, i dug a slightly larger claim tag, with "Western Transfer Co. Claim" on it. I have found no info on this piece so far, so any help would be appreciated. Lastly, I dug a 1854 bank of Canada half cent token, which common back East, is an unusual find fo Denver. No silver, no gold, NO TOKENS, but it's been awhile since I've dug anything decent, so I'm very happy. Will be out there tomorrow, hopefully I'll have more to show.
CurbdiggerCarl

Attachments

• Cheyenne + 1854.jpg
    Cheyenne + 1854.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 7,383
  • Baggage#3.jpg
    Baggage#3.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 7,397
  • 1854 Canada.jpg
    1854 Canada.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 7,391
Upvote 1
OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: FINALLY, SOMETHING WORTHY TO POST

Thanks for the input and encouragement. sent scans to a couple of Railroad memorabilia, got this response.

Hi Carl,

I did some searching on the "Western Transfer Company" and came up empty.
I suspect that it was a stage line. This tag has a very low number and may be very rare.

The Thomas patent "Union & Central Pacific" tag is a great railroad tag. The Thomas patent (1867-68) is from
the time of the first transcontinental railroad (1869). This is a very nice and rare railroad tag. Generally I
tend to be pessimistic about the value of dug tags but this is a tag that is so nice I don't even think that
pitting hurts its value. I have never seen a Thomas CP/UP tag. If you look at the Thomas section on my TagTown web site (in the detailed makers area) you'll see that you have the "passsenger receipt" or insert that mounts into the larger strap check.

Congratulations on a couple of great items!

Regards - Scott Czaja

Still need to research the Western Transfer Claim, but now I'm psyched to go back and hunt. Went there at the crack of dawn, and dug nothing. That's how it works in detecting land, feast or famine.
CurbdiggerCarl

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350

wow you had yourself an awesome hunt wtg on making the banner continued good luck and hh

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil

Dude,
I absolutely love the red broach. I would buy that thing from ya. If you want to, send me a pm.
Baldingboy

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:notworthy:

I'll trade ya a really dirty six pence and nicely worn centavos for those tags, Carl! ;D

Wow! What a hunt! :o Fantastic tags!!!

Nana :wink:

OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Banner? Sweeeeeeeet! I got home at 3:00 am, after dealing with crazed, drunken college Hockey and Lacrosse kids and since been staring and typing, staring and typing for the past seven hours. (I type real slow). Was about to call it quits and pass out when I came back to the site and saw the Banner. Thank you all for the input and info on those claims. Still haven't found anything concrete on the Western Transfer Claim, might have to drive to Golden, CO, to find anything out. They apparently have a real nice train museum there. Or something to that effect. Thanks again PBK When I learn, you'll learn.
Carl

Locke

Oct 16, 2007

This is a little late, but wow, what amazing finds. Congrats :thumbsup:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome finds!

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon

Those kind of finds are always cool to see, thanks for posting them up.

Jason

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro

Wow! I really like the Frontier Day Souvenir. Way to Go, Curbdigger.
Congratulations. We are now all living vicariously through you.
What day is the hunt scheduled to begin?
Mark

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

mpostma said:
Wow! I really like the Frontier Day Souvenir. Way to Go, Curbdigger.
Congratulations. We are now all living vicariously through you.
What day is the hunt scheduled to begin?
Mark
And a Big Congrat's on the Banner......Excellent Dig's :thumbsup:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Big congrats on the Banner my friend :thumbsup:. . . Those medallions are very cool!

I wonder if that Cameo is made from red coral ??? Just a thought. . .

Congrats!
watercolor

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:thumbsup: Congratulations on making the Banner!! :thumbsup: That is some great stuff you dug, cool baggage tags and I really like the souvenir pin! 8) Oh Sweet Cameo too, never saw a red one before!

Steve

OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you all, and if I offended anyone with my last avatar, I apologize. Was going for color, not subject matter. Lack of sleep makes me goofy. better now. Wasn't meant to be in bad taste, but could be construed as such, so it's a bye-bye.
CurbdiggerCarl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread