2 Draped Bust coins--1 Authentic H.C + 1 Counterfeit Draped Bust Something

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
The 3 Datectateers got out to a site we began last week where I found a nice draped bust 1804 half cent. This week we decided to go back and hit it some more. Up and down we went . To and fro I go when a soft signal from my xl-pro told me that something was 7 or 8 inches under the coil. My new vibra probe was telling me that metal was just at the bottom of my 8 inch hole. Another Draped bust half cent. 1807 it is. I could tell it was going to be one of those days. Kirk was spouting out "button". "OH YEAH." Kyle was sweeping away 30 ft. from me. 10 minutes later another week 8 inch signal in the dry,parched dirt revealed a nice large shankless Dandy button with cool punched designs. "Awesome" Zeus is zinging lightning bolts now baby. Half an hour after that 7 inches of diggin doit and low and behold a nice silver Tomback button. "You better believe I was humming and skipping along to the rythym of my threshold.After conversing more with the landowner I went back to my sweet spot. It wasn't long and I got a signal about 5 or 6 inches deep. This folks is where it got cornfusing for me. It registered low for this type of coin. Not only that but it is made out of cheap,crumbly metal that had not a hint of the usual Coppa green. About an 8th of an inch thick. But a distinct Draped bust 1798 is on it. This coin is definitely counterfeit but you would think it not worth an early Americans time and effort to counterfeit a Draped Bust Large Cent. The 3 of us were knocking our collective heads together when the one and only Zoyboy said it is probably a counterfeit Draped bust Half Dollar. Could it be folks. This coin has some of its original size missing since it crumbled away for over 200 years. I cant see anything on the back. Nor do I see stars that would be on the front of a half dollar but like I said quite a bit of it is missing. You can't even see the word "Liberty". It is invariably a great find nonetheless and I am ecstatic with my days total. I also found an old pocketwatch and 1700's spoon handle. Enjoy everyone and thanks for reading this post.
Chris
PIC00007-2.jpg

PIC00010.jpg

Upvote 0

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Re: 2 Draped Bust coins--1 Authentic + 1 Counterfeit

You looney biscuit boy, even though I didn't find a damn thing today (I'm still super jealous :D), it is good to see that one of us dug a coppa...but TWO Draped Busts to boot. Heck, I have never seen anyone find soooooo many Draped Bust coppas as you, you uttster of a datectorist. OOOOF

I am still leaning towards counterfeit half dollar, but it probably isn't so.

A "permission mission" is a must for next weekend, you looney. :D

Snicket

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

It's a Colonial Zincoln Zeus :D....I wish I knew more about the counterfeit's.Excellent Dig's you Guy's and HH!! :thumbsup:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TREMENDOUS!! Nice finds......Hogge :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

Colonial Zoyboy said:
You looney biscuit boy, even though I didn't find a god damn thing today (I'm still super jealous :D), it is good to see that one of us dug a coppa...but TWO Draped Busts to boot. Heck, I have never seen anyone find soooooo many Draped Bust coppas as you, you uttster of a datectorist. OOOOF

Snicket
Yeah I think we are done with this spot. I'm also thinking permission mission. "And Doh-oh-ohnt you forgyet iyet" (spoken like the ole cartoon great Quickdraw Mcgraw)
Zeus

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Colonial Silver Zeus said:
Colonial Zoyboy said:
You looney biscuit boy, even though I didn't find a god damn thing today (I'm still super jealous :D), it is good to see that one of us dug a coppa...but TWO Draped Busts to boot. Heck, I have never seen anyone find soooooo many Draped Bust coppas as you, you uttster of a datectorist. OOOOF

Snicket
Yeah I think we are done with this spot. I'm also thinking permission mission. "And Doh-oh-ohnt you forgyet iyet" (spoken like the ole cartoon great Quickdraw Mcgraw)
Zeus

Kirk and I have two sites that we could potentially get permission for. We'll have to discuss it this week.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

Geez those coins are beat up... here in the lower part of Pa, Coins come out pretty good most of the time... Sorry that your coins are so busted up...

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

creeper71 said:
Geez those coins are beat up... here in the lower part of Pa, Coins come out pretty good most of the time... Sorry that your coins are so busted up...
For me it doesn't matter so much that it is corroded. As long as you can identify it. Of course if you were underground for over 200 years your Dermatologist would be recommending a good facial cream. :wink:
Chris

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have no doubt it's a counterfeit early silver and if you have a book showing actual size you can place your coin over top to see how it measures up. It looks like pewter and in it's original state would look pretty close to silver. My friend found an 8 reale in similar condition. Pretty cool find.

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Re: 2 Draped Bust coins--1 Authentic + 1 Counterfeit Draped Bust Half Dollar

Zeus,

Woooohooooo, you are amazing in that dry dirt! :thumbsup: Congrats on a super day, uncle!

You made the detecting gods proud today!

Keep the passion high, Unc, and you will conquer! :thumbsup:

Kirk

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Re: 2 Draped Bust coins--1 Authentic H.C + 1 Counterfeit Draped Bust Half Dollar

Banner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

This deserves it! :thumbsup:

We just can't be stopped! :D Analog, I mean. :D

Kirk

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Re: 2 Draped Bust coins--1 Authentic H.C + 1 Counterfeit Draped Bust Half Dollar

I can't wait to see Don in S.j's Counterfeit Dr. Bust Half Dollar on his updated avatar. :wink: ::)
Chris

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

Iron Patch said:
I have no doubt it's a counterfeit early silver and if you have a book showing actual size you can place your coin over top to see how it measures up. It looks like pewter and in it's original state would look pretty close to silver. My friend found an 8 reale in similar condition. Pretty cool find.
thanks Iron Patch for the ultimate identification. Now that we have all the facts, the evidence id overwhelming. #1 This coin is at least the size of a large Cent.
#2 This coin is made of pewter. This makes it originally a silverish coin.
#3 It is larger than a dr, bust quarter even with some of coin crumbled away. But it may have expanded alittle.
#4 This coin is thicker than a 1794 thick Liberty Cap L.C. (since I have one to compare)
#5 No green patina
#6 Iron Patches evidence of similar counterfeit pewter 8 reales
The verdict is in.....Confirmed Draped Bust Counterfeit Quarter !!
Amazing to say the least.
Thanks I.P.
Chris

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Iron Patch said:
thanks Iron Patch for the ultimate identification. Now that we have all the facts, the evidence id overwhelming. #1 This coin is at least the size of a large Cent.
#2 This coin is made of pewter. This makes it originally a silverish coin.
#3 It is larger than a dr, bust quarter even with some of coin crumbled away.
#4 This coin is thicker than a 1794 thick Liberty Cap L.C. (since I have one to compare)
#5 No green patina
#6 Iron Patches evidence of similar counterfeit pewter 8 reales
The verdict is in.....Confirmed Draped Bust Counterfeit Half Dollar !!
Amazing to say the least.
Thanks I.P.
Chris

If we are finding Counterfeits, the REAL wilver is right around the corner! :thumbsup: We will find a super rare wilver coin this year...I bet ya, Looney! :thumbsup:

Find of the YEAR! :thumbsup:

Kirk

P.S. Buckleboy, you really wanna compete with us? :wink: :D

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

But I think pewter would've expanded some as it weathered!  I recall sometime a person posted a counterfeit pewter 1840's dime and it was larger than a dime--even though it said "One Dime" on the back...

So my money is with "Quarter"--D.B.Q's are a little larger than later quarters as I recall.

You should treat that one so that it doesn't experience more rim damage over the years.

Those are EXCELLENT finds--we will have a TOUGH time keeping pace with you three this fall!!

-Buck

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other

Zoy, I could have gone all year without seeing the language in your first response, I think highly of the posts I see on here, til I see the crude language. Then I think alot less of a person. You know which two words ( G.D. ) I'm talking about. I am rather surprised that the filter didn't censor it! NGE

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I can't wait to see Don in S.j's Counterfeit Dr. Bust Half Dollar on his updated avatar. :wink: ::)
Chris

Mine has detail on both sides

Attachments

• 1814BustHalf.jpg
    1814BustHalf.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 979

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

notgittinenny said:
Zoy, I could have gone all year without seeing the language in your first response, I think highly of the posts I see on here, til I see the crude language. Then I think alot less of a person. You know which two words ( G.D. ) I'm talking about. I am rather surprised that the filter didn't censor it! NGE

What about your username? ::) You do know there are children on here, not getting any (notgittinenny). :wink:

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

BuckleBoy said:
But I think pewter would've expanded some as it weathered! I recall sometime a person posted a counterfeit pewter 1840's dime and it was larger than a dime--even though it said "One Dime" on the back...

So my money is with "Quarter"--D.B.Q's are a little larger than later quarters as I recall.

You should treat that one so that it doesn't experience more rim damage over the years.

Those are EXCELLENT finds--we will have a TOUGH time keeping pace with you three this fall!!

-Buck
Thanks Buckles. You could very well be right. I placed it on top of the Redbook Dr bust quarter and it would match up better with it. There is a couple of areas on its side that is somewhat intact and it would make it quarter size. The only difference is the bust is axactly the same size as the half dollar one. The quarter in the book is much smaller. I am revising my post now.
Thanks man
Chris

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PS--I like the pocket watch too. I know it's newer, but it beats the heck out of a Collateral Buffalo. :wink:

Nice work.

PS--because pewter distorts some as it weathers, and not knowing how crude the size/characteristics of the portrait were on the counterfeit mould/dies... I'm still sticking with "Quarter."

-Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread