Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Revolutionary War, British Cartridge Sling Belt Tip - Pos. ID

Found this on Sunday when we went back to the site of the Vermont copper. Had absolutely no idea, but with the help of PBK and Treasure Net, they positively ID'd this for me. I'm ASTOUNDED and speachless but I'll try. . When I took this from the ground I told my brother I found an old jackknife.(NO KIDDING) After about 2 hrs. in my pocket I took it out again and wiped the dirt off to find it said "Artillery". Never thought it was Revolutionary War, Never mind BRITISH! Many thanks to PBK and ALL who helped ID this Fabulous relic and piece of our nations early history! I guess there is alot that goes on behind the scenes of T-Net that we never see. Now I know! Will post this in BEST FINDS for sure, and with my post here hopefully my second BANNER find in a week. I guess, from what other T-Netters have already posted and mailed me about this, I may have surpassed the "Vermontensium" Vermont copper find, that I thought I never would. Hopefully there are more Revolutionary War relics at this spot we can share with all of you. Good Luck to ALL and I'm so wound up I don't know whether or not I'll be able to sleep tonight. (not kidding on this one either!) HOGGE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sp07-001.jpg 
Views:	5864 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	14728   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sp07-001.jpg 
Views:	4353 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	231408  
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800--** British 31st ROF Cartridge Box Plate** SOLD!! (PRIVATE AMOUNT), Vermont Ryder-3 *$1200...To be continued

us
    Aug 2006
    WESTERN MASS
    26 times

Re: Revolutionary War, British Cartridge Sling Belt Tip - Pos. ID

I saw this in What is it, and again a super find! If you can't sleep get back at that site and dig some more. I am very impressed. Here is to a sleepless night. Banner for sure!
    A kind word echos for eternity

us
    CS IS NEXT

Nov 2005
    PA-MD
    Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
    676 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Like I said on the Whatsit's Hogge......I'd give up any one of my CW find's for something like that,an absolutely beautiful find.Before it was ID'd I was thinking something like a "batwing" from a sling buckle(CW).Again Awesome find and a big Congrat's

us
    Oct 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
    85 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

I would probably be sleepless thinking about that find and what else might be out there too. Gotta say I'm pretty jealous. Definitely a BANNER find if I've ever seen one. Even more exciting than the Vermont copper, which is tough to beat.

So many old sites to hunt....so little time.

Aug 2007
    Upstate NY
    Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
    2178 times
    Banner Finds (1)

I don't know much about the War related items. I'm kind of a coin nut. However, that is a remarkable find. Kudos to those who helped ID it for you. The knowledge on this site is outstanding. It never ceases to amaze me. I was hoping to find some Revolutionary War related items in some of the spots I hunt but so far no such luck. Get back to that site and find us some more.
    Best Finds:

1786 Vermont Landscape Copper (Ryder 7 variety)
    1787 Vermont Copper
    1787 New Jersey Copper (Maris 63 variety)
    1797 and 1804 DBLCs
    George Washington Inaugural Button (GW 1 type)
    1872 Indian Head Cent (VF/EF condition)
    1866 Indian Head Cent (EF condition)
    1864 "L" Indian Head Cent
    Hard Times Tokens---2
    1840 Gen. Harrison Campaign Token
    1832 Nova Scotia Halfpenny Token
    Two cent pieces---7
    1721 King George I
    1732 King George II
    Barber Half dollars---3
    War Of 1812 Shoulder Belt Plate

Feb 2006
    Minelab Explorer ll
    20 times

It is great that you found some Rev War relics in Vermont. That is such a cool find congrats.
    Holding history in our hands is a treasure in itself.
                             ~Minelab EXll~

Nov 2006
    Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
    50 times
    Banner Finds (2)

When I saw that relic posted the first time, and knew that you were pulling some early coins out of that spot I knew it had to be something good. That area promises to be a nice place, and who knows, there could be even more good spots very close by...Check out high spots, nearby streams or rivers, narrow valleys, etc.... Ya never know HH M

Quote Originally Posted by Ed-NH
    It is great that you found some Rev War relics in Vermont. That is such a cool find congrats.
    Ed-Nh....I live in western Ma. Even though it's a Vermont Copper I found it in a town in W. Mass.
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800--** British 31st ROF Cartridge Box Plate** SOLD!! (PRIVATE AMOUNT), Vermont Ryder-3 *$1200...To be continued

us
    Mar 2007
    MA.
    X-70 & Myself
    1 times

That relic sure is a more excellent find, but that Copper is a Dandy to.

Anyways congrats on your find. You deserved it my Friend.

I like coins and relics equal so to me you had a pretty good week... no a great week!

In your delight of your positive ID did you happen to overlook the fact there very well might be a cartridge box plate there too! If you think the belt tip is good... find the plate!

us
    Oct 2007
    Pennsylvania
    85 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch

I like coins and relics equal so to me you had a pretty good week... no a great week!

In your delight of your positive ID did you happen to overlook the fact there very well might be a cartridge box plate there too! If you think the belt tip is good... find the plate!
    Very good point Iron Patch..... I'd go over every square inch of that property with a fine tooth comb. And I mean every inch!

At what depth was it found?

us
    Jul 2008
    Moved from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts to the hills of southern Kentucky
    The Equinox 800 is the only one I need...
    170 times
    Banner Finds (3)

Holy cow, are you in the zone or what

Quote Originally Posted by pjroo33
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch

Very good point Iron Patch..... I'd go over every square inch of that property with a fine tooth comb. And I mean every inch!

At what depth was it found?
    Bounced between 4-6" on my Prizm IV. I remember it so well because it was the first thing I dug on Sunday within 5 mins. of being ther and just threw it in my pocket.

us
    Sep 2007
    wakeman, ohio
    J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
    50 times
    Shipwrecks

very nice, what kind of metal is it made from ? brass/copper/pewter ?
    sleep ? I'd be dancing a jig till dawn.
    them that dive will be the lucky ones !!

us
    Oct 2007
    Pennsylvania
    85 times
    Banner Finds (1)

I'd like to see a couple more pictures. Was it found in an area with a known history of battle? Wooded area? Give us some details!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links