Trade Token and possible sports memorabilia

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
I had a little time to kill this morning since I had an early day at work.
I wound up going to an area I found last night through Sandoz maps and
using Google earth, I located an open area that back in the 1890's had about half a dozen houses.

Anyway, I got there and the first place I went to detect was around a really tall cottonwood but didn't even find so much as a pop top for about 5 feet out. After that, I started pulling pop tops and metal slag pieces that were reading at 95 on my Eagle Spectrum. They are so dirty I'm not sure if they are iron or perhaps melted silverware. I' m gonna try cleaning em and see what happens. You never know right?

After I got about 20 feet from the tree, I started getting 70's 80's and 95's, but I every time I turned on the pin pointer, the signal vanished.
A couple signals though were strong enough that I decided to dig and popped up a couple clad quarters. One of which missed the silver phase by a year, dang it!. But with the brickwork, and other trash type stuff I dug up, I'm wondering if I didn't hit where an outhouse had been, or perhaps the trash pit from when the houses had been torn down. Public property or not, I'm not gonna dig up a 6 by 6 wide 10 foot deep hole just to find out lol.

Anyway, after about thirty minutes I kept getting really off beat tones.
They'd be strong, 95's, but registering both at the high end and low end equally, with nothing between on the Bar graph. Anyone know what that usually means?

So, on to the good bit. I hadn't gotten a lot of sleep the last couple days, so was too tired to keep going for long, so I began a sweep back to the car when I got a strong penny/dime signal at about 5 inches.
I dug a plug and the signal was in there, so i began sifting through it.
I saw a metal disc that at first looked like a silver quarter, but when I
pulled it out all I saw was "Table Supply".

Figured it was just some sorta advertising gimmick thing, but then I flipped it over and saw 25 and trade beneath the dirt. Spitting on it and wiping it gently between my fingers, I managed to clean off both sides enough to read them quite well.

Earl Johnson Table Supply Crete, Nebraska
Good for 25 cents in Trade.

Well, needless to say, I was so excited I didn't even bother sweeping the rest of the way back to the car. Soon as I got home, I looked up the name but couldn't find anything. I'm going to try and email the
Crete Commerce and see if they can tell me anything about the company, when it was in business that sorta thing.

I plan on going back there and being a little more thourough since I didn't even cover 1/3 of the ground out there. Hopefully I'll find some more goodies, and maybe even some silver as this land appears to be virginal from all the signals I was getting, even if they were trash.

Just for the record, the 24 cent side of the picture is a bit warped because I messed up a bit when I scanned it and had to re size it.
The whole thing is about the size of a Quarter and in remarkably good condition I think. Except for a little indention on the side, though I'm not sure if that was from when I was digging the plug, or if it was like that before.

Thanks for reading, and if any token experts on here have any info on this token, I would be very grateful

Happy Hunting!

New info on who Johnson was at least
Earl Johnson was the 13Th head college football coach for the Doane College Tigers located in Crete, Nebraska and he held that position for three seasons, from 1910 until 1912. His coaching record at Doane was 11 wins, 10 losses, and 1 tie. As of the conclusion of the 2007 season, this ranks him 12Th at Doane in total wins and 20Th at Doane in winning percentage (0.523).[

So apparently, not only is it a trade token, but it could be considered sports memorabilia too!

Attachments

• tradetoken.jpg
    tradetoken.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 470
Upvote 0

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
great legwork in tracking down the info on your token.... it is always neat to know the history behind a little find.... congrats my friend.....if it is public land..... and the local government doesnt care.. why not mow it off? Least weedeat it... that would get you closer to the ground.. just a thought

RAndy

OP
OP
C

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
I've been put in contact with the local catalouger of tokens for my area, so hopefully I can get some more light shed on this token. And I was also cautioned about the sports angel, as there is no sure way knowing (yet) if the Earl Jonhson of Johnson's table supply is the same as the Coach.

I'd be willing to bet that it is simply because of the size of the town the token is from, but I have to admit, it's not a garuntee. Still, it'll be cool if it is :D

OP
OP
C

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
been back a couple times to the same spot, found a few clads so far and some copper pipe from a sink I think. I'm not sure if a bigger coil would be better, or if I just need to use some tighter sweeps. Course, a blackcat and a big sieve would be nice too lol

OP
OP
C

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
also found out the value of the token, but nothing about the history behind it really. I'm still looking up that, but the area token cataloger priced it between 5 to 10 dollar token as it is, to paraphrase him, not rare, but not common.

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going CB, I like tokens too. Keep going back to that site--especially after a rain.
See you in chat!

SKD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread