5 hour hunt - dead tired, but finally some silver and other cool finds

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
I went out to a campground yesterday and hunted for 5 hours (with about a 15 minute break to eat a sandwich). At the end of the hunt I was just staggering around and my arm and shoulder were killing me. When I got home, my wife told me I looked like I'd been in a coal mine disaster - my arms and face were so dirty. It was very hot yesterday, and it has been so dry here that the ground is very dry and lots of dust was getting stirred up. Between the sunscreen and sweating heavily, I was a magnet for the dust and dirt.

I found a bunch of cool stuff, but here are the highlights of the hunt. Two silver quarters - first silver for me in a LOOOOOONG time. I also found another really cool boy scout neckerchief slide - this one reads "GILWELL PARK SCOUT CAMP". A little research online and learned that Gilwell Park is a scout camp in London. So this neckerchief slide is a long way from its origin. I also got 3 wheaties, and a chinese (I think) coin that I'd love to know the age of.

Here are some pics...

Attachments

• IMG_8801.JPG
    IMG_8801.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 686
  • IMG_8797.JPG
    IMG_8797.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 679
  • IMG_8798.JPG
    IMG_8798.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 674
  • IMG_8802.JPG
    IMG_8802.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 676
  • IMG_8803.JPG
    IMG_8803.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG_8800.JPG
    IMG_8800.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 661
Upvote 0

U.P. Northwoods

Jul 27, 2008
Nisula, MI/Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix M6
Looks like you did yourself well. Hope you recover quickly from the outing. From the sounds of it this area is pretty productive. The Scout ring is awesome and I too am curious of the age of the Chinese coin.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Chinese coin is not very old last 20-30 years, but that ring is killer!! The ring is much older and more rare....

Keep @ it and HH!!

OP
OP
time4me

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the replies. I really don't think this is a ring, though. I am pretty sure it is a neckerchief slide. In the pictures below, you can see how big it is compared to a normal sized ring (my own ring), and also see how big it is on my finger. The last picture shows what I think it was intended for - a slide to hold the ends of a scout's neckerchief together.

Attachments

• IMG_8813.jpg
    IMG_8813.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 576
  • IMG_8815.jpg
    IMG_8815.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 565
  • IMG_8817.jpg
    IMG_8817.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 563

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is definitely a kneckerchief slide and seems like an unusual Boy Scout slide. Maybe they had a lot of support from the oil well company or something? Could be a very early type slide. HH, Mike

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a Woodsman of the World logo on that slide. I wonder if there was some type of affiliation with the scouts and the "WOW".

OP
OP
time4me

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
pennyfarmer said:
That looks like a Woodsman of the World logo on that slide. I wonder if there was some type of affiliation with the scouts and the "WOW".

There is a ton of info on Gilwell Park Scout Camp on Wikipedia. Here is what they have to say about the logo...

The ax and log logo was conceived by the first Camp Chief, Francis Gidney, in the early 1920s to distinguish Gilwell Park from the Scout Headquarters. Gidney wanted to associate Gilwell Park with the outdoors and Scoutcraft rather than the business or administrative Headquarters offices. Scouters present at the original Wood Badge courses regularly saw ax blades masked for safety by being buried in a log. Seeing this, Gidney chose the ax and log as the totem of Gilwell Park. This logo came to be strongly associated with Wood Badge leader training and is still used on certificates, flags, and other program-related items.

The symbol of the ax in the log is associated with feudalism after the invasion and conquest of England by William the Conqueror. In that era, property, including forests, were owned by the landed barons and knights. Serfs, bound to the land in a form of modified slavery, were forbidden to cut wood from trees in the forest, and only permitted to gather downed wood. Freemen were given the right of loppage, or permission to cut limbs from the nobleman's trees as high as they could reach with an ax. A freeman who carried an ax in a nobleman's forest demonstrated that he had earned the right by service. Symbolically, the grain of an axe handle must be straight and true and "set square in the eye of the head." The steel head must have the proper temper and be kept sharp. To be useful in the hands of a skilled freeman, an ax also needed to be well-balanced, otherwise the handle might break, endangering its user. The ax represented skilled laborers who had proven themselves through service. Lastly, the ax in the wood reminds those who have completed Wood Badge that they have committed themselves to be an example of service and feality.

OP
OP
time4me

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
I emailed the Gilwell Park Scout Camp to see if they could help me date the neckerchief slide I found, and someone in their archives department got back to me today saying that they started making this slide in the early 1950's, but still make the same style slide today so had no way of telling me how old it was.

Oh well, at least I learned from their email that they call it a "woggle" rather than a neckerchief slide.

Heading back to this campground tomorrow and Thursday to see if I can find some more woggles :D :D :D ;D

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Nice Finds!
Five hours of detecting sure beats five hours of working.
Mike

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To give you a little more information on your Scout woggle, it is earned by an adult Scouter that completes a year and half long training course called "Wood Badge". It holds a lot of significance to the person that earned it. You can compare the Wood Badge experience for the adult Scouter to that of the Eagle project to a Boy Scout. I'm sure it would be nearly impossible to return it to it's owner, but if there is any way that you could do it, they would be very grateful, I'm sure. I knew what it was as soon as I saw it.

Scott

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the coin is actually a japanese ten yen fairly recent vintage....Kane23

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread