🥇 BANNER I STILL CANT BELIEVE IT-! chain-cent 1793.

jfx55

Apr 13, 2006
new jersey/pa/bucks county
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
fisher1266-x whites 6000 pro whites 5900 di pro/nautlis 2b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Picture 152.jpg
    Picture 152.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 11,081
Upvote 4

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jfx55 said:
Marc said:
Is that just caked on dirt on the obverse? It's odd looking. Are you going to clean it more? This is a banner item if it is really a chain cent! :thumbsup:

Are you sure that's a chain and not a wreath?
upper left side. you can see some of the chain.(links) yes it still has some caked dirt on it. but knowing what i have now i am not going to clean it any futher
I definitely see chain there and not wreath. :thumbsup: A very rare one indeed. :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
J

jfx55

Apr 13, 2006
new jersey/pa/bucks county
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
fisher1266-x whites 6000 pro whites 5900 di pro/nautlis 2b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
closer look at chain links on coin. 1793

hope this works enhanced upper left of coin some visable links shown.

Attachments

• Picture 153.jpg
    Picture 153.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 10,038

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super (To BE) Banner congratulation find there, been looking for one for years, still eluding me. That is great that it is a chain cent and not the Wreath type. I could not see enough to attibute which one. Bet more of the caked dirt flakes off.

Without a doubt that is top of the line for american coppers to find, except for a few rare varieties, that is the money coin for sure.

Don

Attachments

• Tnet1793Chain.jpg
    Tnet1793Chain.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 10,266
T

TreasurdiggrNY

I'm seeing the chain that you mention too, congratulations on a fantastic find awesome :notworthy:
Glenn

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this picture I circled where the AMERI part of AMERICA is. Unfortunately with the caked on dirt you cant see whether it is the Ameri. or America version. The yellow circle is where the CA would be if it were on the coin. Hopefully some of that dirt will flake off and you'll be able to tell.

Attachments

• chain cent.jpg
    chain cent.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 9,672

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holey moley am speechless...congrats on the banner find ..wohoooo :thumbsup:

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Re: closer look at chain links on coin. 1793

X-Terra70_TreasureHunter said:
send it to ngc and have it certified and cleaned and encapsulated

i agree. don't try to clean this one on your own.too valuable.

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow.... Doesn't get any better than that as far as coppers go !!!! By far the prettiest lady on the Banner !!!!

Super congratulations.

Brian in MA

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I knew there was no doubt, I must congrautulate you on the banner. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Wow, now that is a GREAT find! :thumbsup: I am speechless now! :wink:

Guess what, folks? Yup, an ANALOG machine found it! :thumbsup: :D

Analog all the way! ;D

Keep your coil low and your passion high!

Kirk ;D

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where would you get a coin like that professionally cleaned?? after what happened to another memebers rare coin, what do ya do?

booty

Chico Rico

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia
Some folks steal coppa to sell to the scrap yard. some folks beg for it. And some folks just find it! This is the coppa that ends all coppas. Super wowie. No lie I'm a gonna drink twelve beers and dream about findin' what you just found. Seven beers later I love it even more. Makes all them pulltabs and pennys seem like a smear on the wall of time.
Thank you for showing this!
c.r.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update on what the variety might be, it appears to definetly be a Sheldon3 (Scarce) variety and not a Sheldon 1 as I first thought. There is an outside, remote chance it could be the Very Rare (ca ching) NC-1 variety, but enough detail is not visible due to dirt and condition right now.
NCS is who you should send it to for the cleaning and authentication and they will forward it to NGC for grading and encapulsating if good enough, if not they will encapulsate but not grade it I believe.

Anyway, you have to join ANA or go thru a dealer to send to NCS, and then the charges mount up, so read their site carefully so you understand what they will want roughly moneywise. I seen figures of 1% of Declared value just for Evaluating the coin, the 4% of Declared value for conservation of it, then send on to NGC for variety, grading and slabbing, (maybe $80), so just so you are aware of the costs, that is why not many grounders go to NCS, but something like a Chain Cent, YES...

Rough costs: ANA membership $39
1% of declared value for EVALUATION $60-120
Well, somewhere between 6-12 thousand for a very very rough guess at this time, If NCS thinks you undervalued they will up it on their own!!
4% of declared valuefor CONSERVATION $240-480
for grading and slabbing $80
ADDED: gee I forgot about USPS rates: Insured, registered and in padded envelope, so that will be probably 10-20? Insurance being a biggie.

So, if I read the NCS website correctly, it might cost between $419-$719!!! I sure would like to know if anyone thinks I am reading their site correctly or incorrectly on the charges. One reason, I never have sent any of my rare ones in, but none as valuable as this chain cent, yet. :) http://www.ncscoin.com/index.asp

Or you can clean it yourself and sell as is and might do just as good. Or just keep it for yourself, your own collection..... :thumbsup:

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread