1787 New Jersey Copper..UPDATE..Incredible Coincidence Concerning This Coin!!

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I hit a pounded out one room schoolhouse site tonight and was digging some expected shotgun shell caps since I knew I had passed on some of those 28-32 vdi signals last time i was there.
THEN i get a nice 83 VDI and I'm thinking whoo hoo,a Barber dime! THEN I see this big disk in the dirt and I'm thinking whoo hoo,a large cent!!
THEN I see this horse's head on the disk :icon_scratch: and I'm figuring it to be just a junk token or something so into my pocket it goes and after digging a few more shotgun shell caps I call it a day.
I'm still in disbelief but after digging through my Redbook I've come to find this is one of the many varieties of New Jersey coppers minted between 1786 and 1788!!
The obverse reads "Nova Caesarea" (New Jersey) and the reverse reads "E Pluribus Unum" (One composed of many)
This one's pretty rough with a barely readable date of 1787, but I'm thrilled with it! The oldest coin from this site has been an 1882 Indian Head. Where in the heck did this come from!!! Thanks for having a look!
Jerry
UPDATE:
Here is a line direct from Wikipedia "The United States Constitution was adopted on September 17, 1787"...Not exactly earth shattering news but I just realized I dug and posted this 1787 New Jersey coin on Sept 17, the 221st anniversary of the Constitution being adopted!!! :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• New Jersey in dirt.JPG
    New Jersey in dirt.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 1,678
  • New Jersey2.JPG
    New Jersey2.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 1,664
  • New Jersey reverse.JPG
    New Jersey reverse.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,653
  • New Jersey1.JPG
    New Jersey1.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,631
Upvote 0

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Still Can't Believe It, 1787 New Jersey Copper!!!!!

banner? :thumbsup:

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Excellent find, Jerry! WOW :o Congrats!!

HH

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Congratulations on the NJ copper. It looks to be in very good shape. I would love to add one to my collection one day.

NJ

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

Fantastic! Well done.

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Jerry, congrats on a great coppa recovery, buddy! You have been doing very well lately! :thumbsup:

Kyle

Locke

Oct 16, 2007

That's a beautiful coin, congratulations on the copper :thumbsup:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congratulations Jerry, you made my day by seeing you post this wonderful coin. I am sure once you realized what you found a few OMG thoughts went thru your head! :)

I am thrilled to see it since for several years now I have been doing a Circulation Study of NJ coppers for future educational purposes for colonial coin collectors and was very close to finalizing the report for now and to my surprise, I had no reported found NJ coppers given to me from the state of OHIO. So yours is the first one.

I would like you to PM me with the county found in, since in the survey report, the minimum information needed is State and County found in, and if you want to give more, that is fine, but got your photo, you said found at a schoolyard, ah what was located there before, if I may ask? But since the coin cleaned up great, I have an attribution of a Maris 48-g for you, It is a Very Common variety but still a great find.
Any NJ copper found is nice to see, since i am doing the report until next month, if you know of any others found, I appreciate hearing about it.

Here is a summary of the reported ground found NJ's that I have data on, adding yours as the only one from OHIO.
NJ 179
PA 31
NY 18
CT 15
MA 10
MD 9
VA 6
KY 3
RI 3
DE 3
ONTARIO 3
SC 2
WV 2
TN 1
ME 1
NH 1
NC 1
OH 1
VT 0
GA 0
FL 0
IN 0
KY 0
MI 0
IL 0
MS 0
TOTAL 289

HH

Don

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder

Great find, Jerry!

Gotta love those large coppers. (I'm still waiting for me first (recognizable at least) state copper.)

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT

wow Jerry.... I hit a KGII colonial copper but it was smooth.... had jd in missouri clean it.. he got the type of coin it was... 1725-1760 he said... but yours is nice man..... hey if you ever want a huntin buddy.. im down in SE ohio... but travel a fair amount....

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Conratulations Jerry! I'm happy for you! "The Hogge" :thumbsup:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Sweet coin there Jerry.

I dug one a few yrs back at a old colonial site. I love those coins. It's still my oldest copper to date.

HH Jer

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

She's a beauty Jerry! Congrats :thumbsup:

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats Jerry, that is something very rare from Ohio dirt! Probably carried over by the early settlers. That is one of the earliest true American coins ever minted. I would like to ask you where you are and please PM me at least the county you are in. I am from Tuscarawas county OH and grew up around Zoar, had the privilege of detecting outside of Schoenbrunn village a few years ago with permission from the park manager and found a button that I am sure dates to the mid 1700s as I have found a few of the same here in Germany. I live somewhat close to where the Moravians that founded the first town in Ohio came from. I think your history and possibilities of the area may be greater than you think. Any Historians or Librarians in your area that you could talk to? That is an exciting find for Ohio. HH, Mike

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice find Ohio Jerry. I'm glad to hear you were the first in Don's study in Ohio to find one. I found one earlier this year also. It was a Maris 63 s Variety and it went in the New York column on Don's study. Nothing beats the feeling you get when you know you've found a 1700's copper coin.

Dirt Dobber

Jun 24, 2008
Midlands of S.Carolina
Detector(s) used
R/S Discovery(BH IV) cousin

Ohio Jerry, WTG is too little to say about your new old find. I would not have fallen to sleep for a week if I were to find anything that rare! Continued success my man. D.D.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other

:wav: BANNER! AWESOME, DUDE........NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread