First misstrike

Sylth

Apr 11, 2008
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
White's M6 w/ Sunray Probe & a Bounty Hunter Lone Star
For the past couple weeks, whenever I cash my paycheck in, I'll hold onto about 10 or 20 dollars and exchange it for whatever half dollars or dollar coins the tellers happen to have. Really hit paydirt today in terms of numbers: got an older teller who's been there for years and recalled seeing 100+ dollars worth in the safe. Needless to say, they aren't there anymore ^^

Sadly tho, I only found 1 '69 half in terms of silver (re: 40% silver). Was really hoping for a Ben or a Walker hiding in the pile of coins. But I did find one coin that shocked me. You see, I've read all about misstrikes, like 7/8's or whatever, but even in the examples in the red book, I could never tell the difference. Never actually seen an Obvious misstrike, until I hit this coin. Its a 1983 half, and... well, im fairly sure everyone can pick out the oddity themselves ^^

Now the only question is, what do I do with it? lol

HH

update: guess it isnt a misstrike after all; sry for the false claim lol

Attachments

• 1983 Mis-Strike Half Dollar HQ Cropped - Pxld.jpg
    1983 Mis-Strike Half Dollar HQ Cropped - Pxld.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 362
Upvote 0

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
The dates 1960 and 1980 were punched in after the coin left the mint. If you go through enough half dollars you will find many like this one. Sorry, not a mint error...Ryan

OP
OP
Sylth

Sylth

Apr 11, 2008
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
White's M6 w/ Sunray Probe & a Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Thx for the info ^^. Still looks pretty neat tho. I guess all you'd nd would be a die, some kind of hydraulic press (or lever) and a coin lol. Sry for the misidentity, but as i said, nver found a misstrike before so i really dont know what to look for (or what fakes to look out for).

Thx again for pointing that out; into the coin jar it goes then!

....the things people do... reminds me of the time i found a magnetic "copper" 1943 penny... =)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread