And 11 more make 21 total... plus one odd one out. (plus videos!)

Sylth

Apr 11, 2008
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
White's M6 w/ Sunray Probe & a Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Finally got a break in the weather (and my schedule) to head back to that local school again. Ever since finding 7 130 yr old Spanish coins there, I've been looking for my chance (tried yesterday, but no sooner got there but it down-poured on me :( ). Spent an hour there and dang! seemed like I couldn't take more than a few steps in any direction without getting another hit! The area where they've been found is extending out into the soccer field and, for all I know, beyond that! Count today was 11, which when added to the previous 7 (and the 3 i managed to find before it the rain yesterday) makes a total of 21

P9290009 211111.jpg

Now the odd thing I've noticed... is that every coin I've found has been of the same denomination: diex centimos. Which, in my opinion, doesn't support the theory I had of 'lost coin purse, disintegrated, soil picked up and spread to lvl ground when school was built'. Who carries so many 10 cent coins, and no others? Of course, I just might not have found them, but man, I wish I knew the story behind how all of them got there.

P9290011 111.jpg

And the story gets even odder. After I took the coins home and cleaned em in my ultrasonic cleaner (for some reason, none of them were really dirty; im thinking its because their bronze), I examined them more closely, checking dates. And the last one I came to was... not only an 1882 (making it the youngest coin of the bunch) but was a different coin entirely from the two types ive been pulling out!

Greek Coin 1.jpg

Greek Coin 2.jpg

Looking it up online, its a Greek (10 Libre?) coin! :o

So, I've pulled 21 coins, dating from 1870 to 1882, from the playground of a school that's not even 50 yrs old...

I would absolutely love to know how they got there ???

**edit: and on another note, I love that Sunray pinpointer. Saved many of these coins from being scratched today.

Upvote 0

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: And 11 more make 21 total... plus one odd one out. (plus! vidoes! -i hope)

That is to cool! Weird those coins would be there?

Brian

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

is the video on your computer? if so, just add it to youtube. you'll need an account to add them. once you do that, just click on the youtube button when making a post and stick the link between the 2 brackets.

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker

great coins. :thumbsup:

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT

Supper digs. Yes, strange coins in your neck of the woods. Cool find... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Attachments

• remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 372
  • remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 369
OP
OP
Sylth

Sylth

Apr 11, 2008
Northern VA
Detector(s) used

Thx for the tip on videos; doesnt look like its letting me edit them in tho, so let me try it out here:

There we go; got them in the top one and now i know how to do it (just paste the link to watch the video into the post)

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
What the H E double hocky sticks is up with that?? I can only assume it was part of someone's coin collection, perhaps "show and tell" items.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Those are some nice finds.

May have came in from back fill somewhere. They all have that nice dark patina you look for when digging a old coin. I bet there is more out there.

HH Jer

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is strange!....but no idea how they got there!
Nice finds! Dale

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could have been an old cache that was dug up and spread from the construction of the school. You may have a lot more sitting somewhere on that property.

Keep @ it and HH!!

OP
OP
Sylth

Sylth

Apr 11, 2008
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Thx for the replies ^^

Also, forgot to add that they all (i mean, ALL) ring up as Zinc pennies, which was why I only found the one the first time (its was sticking out of the ground just ahead of a plug i had dug). And every one of them is within an inch of the surface... below that inch is a thick layer of rock (and below that, I've found some modern coins, like a 2000 quarter). So yea, this is one weird site. I like the idea of backfill tho; mebbe some cache was disturbed by a backhoe filling a dump truck with dirt destined to level out the playground at this school. Would also explain why theyre all so shallow (even found one on top of the ground!) with the moderns below em.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread