Barber, mercs, roosies, indians, wheats and a friend hooked on detecting

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
This past week a caving buddy of mine retired from the Army Corps of Engineers after 33 years. A few of us met at another friends farm Saturday night to celebrate with a bonfire and cold refreshments. It wasn't long before I was showing the guys a nice large cent I keep in my pocket and telling stories of barbers and indians and tokens. I do this because most of my friends seem genuinely interested and it can lead to talk of places to detect, possibly some good leads. This time my buddy Jim who had just retired seemed more than interested in this hobby of mine. I had my detector in my truck and we were out at Ron's farm metal detecting in the dark. Jim was excited and we made plans to go out detecting the next day. He had mentioned he had a detector and he sure enough did. I'd seen this model before, of course I was a lot younger then ;D. The old detector was useless. The shallow coins at 2 inches or less on my CZ5 more often than not would give him no or little response. I decided to let him use my machine with me training him on the fly. He was soon digging wheats and enjoying himself capitally. I set down for a while and watched him dig. I soon heard him say "it says six inches" and thought to myself he probably hasn't mastered the depth feature. He spent some time recovering the target, then I saw him raise up, hold something toward the sun and start to wipe. "1893" he says, Indian I asked, "no a dime" he replies. Wait a minute, the oldest coin I've found at this old picnic grounds is 1900, he's skunked me with my own machine, and I don't have that one in my coin album either. Oh well, I actually was happy for him........sort of ;D. He also dug a nice '39 merc and an indian. I dug 7 silver dimes, an indian and many wheats etc.. Also included is a picture of my hunt from 2 sundays ago, 70 mile an hour winds as the remnants of hurricane Ike passed through. It was a humorous hunt and I scored a war nickel, 3 silver dimes and an indian as the large trees started to come down. :o
IM000728.jpg

IM000732.jpg

IM000733.jpg

Upvote 0

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're a good friend to take him under you're wing like that :thumbsup: . . . and this is something he'll always remember :wink:

Take care,
watercolor

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
He will have something to do now since he has retired. Hope the BOSS is not to rough on him when he comes home at dark all the time. I know that feeling well. you should have left a little early to get home before dark. yes honey. that knocked off about 45 minutes of hunting time.

wonder if the wives that metal detect and the husbands don't get alot of questions when they get home.???????? :) :) :)

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Great haul. :icon_sunny:

What condition was the barber? It's funny cause I am sure he didn't really appreciate his find. :D It's still a lot of fun watching newbies dig up stuff. They get so excited over almost anything. Of course I would be pretty pleased with a barber. :thumbsup:

Bob

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post Double D.
He can't go wrong if he gets a cz. I've still got my cz70pro...and it ain't goin' nowhere.
Pretty cool that he found the Barber with your machine....well not really ;D
Just kiddin...nice finds :thumbsup:

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
DD-777 said:
Fantastic finds and a good day overall! Congrats... :thumbsup:

And yes, Gerald was a race car driver...

...now he detects. ;D
Gerald drove so .........fast. Thanks for the comments. "My name is mud"

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Thanks watercolor, topdog, kdismuke1, 05kas05 and John Deere Digger for the comments. I'm diginit!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Mirage said:
Great haul. :icon_sunny:

What condition was the barber? It's funny cause I am sure he didn't really appreciate his find. :D It's still a lot of fun watching newbies dig up stuff. They get so excited over almost anything. Of course I would be pretty pleased with a barber. :thumbsup:

Bob
That barber dime was pretty well worn, but it was that really almost white looking even wear coin that has some undeserved appeal. :icon_scratch: He was very surprised and very pleased. Thanks Bob
Steve

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
silverfreak said:
Nice post Double D.
He can't go wrong if he gets a cz. I've still got my cz70pro...and it ain't goin' nowhere.
Pretty cool that he found the Barber with your machine....well not really ;D
Just kiddin...nice finds :thumbsup:
I was so pleased that he found that with my detector.......................well, no I wasn't ;D Thanks, Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions