Medieval and post medieval finds from the beer token field...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent several hours this past week hunting the beer token field. I call it the beer token field as it has given up so many beer tokens, 30ish tokens. It has also produced a few medieval finds, two nice seal matrixes, several coins and the first gold to come from my area found by my Alaskan friend George in the form of a modern 8K/333 gold ring and several other interesting relics. There has only been three gold finds in my area, 2 modern rings found by my friends and my gold coin of 400 years old found just to the left of this field where a farm once stood. I now understand why there is so little gold found here, peasants or poor people were not allowed to own gold in medieval times. Here is the beer token field, it has just been planted a few days ago and I was able to enjoy one last hunt.
30Sep08tokfield.jpg

Combined finds from the beer token field. Three beer tokens, two are actually bottle deposit tokens, one is broken and I found another broken token last week. I wonder if I could get a beer at the October fest that is going on with a token that says “good for 1 liter beer”, LOL?
30Sep08Btoks.jpg

Two buttons, left is French (late 1700s?) and right is German Prussian (late 1800s).
30Sep08buttons.jpg

A few lead pieces. Two musket balls and a whatsit. Three lead seals, far right appears to be older with a building type image on it.
30Sep08lead.jpg

Found a small hand full of late 1800s to early 1900s coins, here are the oldest coins, an 1800 worn out Austrian and an 1851 half kreuzer.
30Sep08coins.jpg

A small coockerel keg tap valve dating to the 1600s or around there. I have found several of them but do not know why I can not find the actual tap. I do have a few taps in bad condition from other sizes.
30Sep08cocktap.jpg

The medieval find, a bronze thimble. Smallish, thick, heavy, uneven and inconsistent indents. The hole on top is questionable, may have been put there intentionally to allow air into it to avoid sweating. HH, Mike
30Sep08tTbull.jpg

Upvote 0

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
nice thimble and keg tap. I've never seen that before. congrats

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow Mike :o :o, nice digs!
Some great tokens & that thimble is awesome. :thumbsup:
Congrats,
MM

Locke

Oct 16, 2007
Cool keg tap valve...more importantly where is the KEG??? Awesome finds :thumbsup:

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Mike - i love the photo of the location.

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mike, your finds are always first rate and am always amazed at the things you come up with. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the nice comments! Mac in Oak Ridge, wooden taps/spigots are a good probability, I have only found two bronze taps. It is possible there was some type of activity like a festival held here but it also looks like a trash dump from a brewery as there have been several beer related relics found here. I'll try to get a picture of a couple of beer kegs I was given. HH, Mike

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Mike,
Great finds as usual. I like the Thimble and beer tokens. I have yet to see someone in the states to find one.

Your hunting area's look so big. How long is a "hunt" for you?

Bob

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bunch of finds & nice looking field. :thumbsup:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great Dig's Mike......IT funny to see how thing's have changed over the year's,thimble for example,I'd rather buy a handmade one than one "stamped" today.....All around awesome dig's Mike.Thank's and HH Buddy :thumbsup:

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds keep on the good hunting :thumbsup:

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
an inspirational hunt mike headed down to the store to get some spaten octoberfest always interesting and cool finds the thimble looks to be in great shape congrats and continued good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread