spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wonder how many people really comprehend what they read, or has English finally become the second language in the USA? I have read several posts that will start with a statement and when someone replies the author will say that is not what I am am talking about :dontknow: I just don't get it, how can a statement that is delivered as fact, be anything but what is purported to be? A example would be: The sky is blue. Someone will say Yes, it is a light blue today and the author will say that is not what I am talking about. :icon_scratch:

In other incidences you may read about a topic and make a suggestion, or give constructive criticism and be bashed for either not agreeing fully, or understanding. Either that, or they will put words in your mouth and link you to a statement you never made.

If one would take the time to comprehend what is written they will see there is at least a partial agreement, or their idea does have some merit. I think bickering would slow down a bit if people just understood our language better.

I don't know, maybe it's just me :dontknow:

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
No Spart, its not just you. I see it all the time, hate to say it but there are just a lot of dim-witted/uneducated people in the world today. Plus, this being the internet, a lot of people seem to be very rude, argumentative & critical when they wouldnt have the balls to talk to me or you like that when face to face. They seem to get real ballsy & loud when hiding behind a computer screen & dont/cant take the time to comprehend what they are reading...........or simply dont care. You stated that the sky is blue. I must tell you that you are wrong Spart..........the sky is friggin grey!!! Damn it all, why cant you see that & how loud do I have to scream before you see this my way?? ;D :wink:

But I think a lot of these people do read & comprehend whats written but they are lookin for an argument, a confrontation. You see Spart, the internet is the ONLY place many of these people would ever have a chance of winning an argument or a fight. Many of them are in their 40's, living in Mommies basement, they have no life & no reason to go get one. Kinda sad really. Sry, gotta cut this short.........Mother just brought my dinner down to me! :laughing7:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean, if you don't agree with them 100% your the idiot ;D

I don't mind a little debate, constructive criticism, a new idea, etc... I really hate it when people just can't READ!! It's just a pet peeve of mine. I'll get over it, but until I do I'll have a little fun with them. Yeah, sometimes I'm a bit sarcastic and tell them to try reading it this time. Maybe too many learned to read though Hooked on Phonics :D

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mighty AP said:
...........or Evelyn Woodhead's speed reading course! :tongue3:

LOL, liked your answer better than mine :laughing9: It's like reading every 4th, or 5th word... Careful AP, you're moving into my territory. ;D Soon your mind will warp beyond repair, quit now while you still have some good gray matter left :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real de Tayopa said:
Duh? whatchu guys talking about?

Dom Jose de La Mancha

Well I actually wanted a serious discussion on reading comprehension, it seems that may do not understand the written work. I am sure you may have come across this on here from time to time. I think too many people try and read something into a post that is not there, and love to twist it around. I normally reply, read it again.

lincha

Feb 27, 2007
Iowa
Many times we write things but they cannot be comprehended because we dont know the feeling behind the words. Example: Yeah, I had a good day. Depends on the emphasis on the words. Relaxed response means yes I had a good day. Sarcastic response means, you know, wasnt a good day. Communication is based on the writer of the words, and as we dont know the writer personally thats how communication problems arise. Yes I know the written word is standard, but the reader is the interpreter, and sometimes the interpreter may be? Careful of who you talk down on, it just may be you who has the lower education.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lincha said:
Many times we write things but they cannot be comprehended because we dont know the feeling behind the words. Example: Yeah, I had a good day. Depends on the emphasis on the words. Relaxed response means yes I had a good day. Sarcastic response means, you know, wasnt a good day. Communication is based on the writer of the words, and as we dont know the writer personally thats how communication problems arise. Yes I know the written word is standard, but the reader is the interpreter, and sometimes the interpreter may be? Careful of who you talk down on, it just may be you who has the lower education.

I understand your point about interpretation fully, but this wasn't what I was discussing. My first was a statement of fact, that later turns out not to be the fact at all. In the second, it is clearly a case of constructive criticism. An example would be, I just made a one wheel car. Someone may reply I think that using 4 wheels will make the car more stable. Now the original author will get bent out of shape and say, what make you think that driving around with 4 square wheels is the better mode of transportation? This is what I mean by comprehension. A constructive comment was given and then words are popped into the replying contributors mouth that were never ushered to begin with; 4 square wheels. As far as having a lower education, I doubt anyone is lower that my kindergarten one. :laughing9:

lincha

Feb 27, 2007
Iowa
Hey spart wasnt talking about your education was more a reference to the other post calling people dimwitted. In my book, street smarts and life smarts is just or more important than college smarts, because all in all once you get the education you have to know what to do with it. I was not in anyway trying to insult you. I like reading your posts and like your humor. Regards, Linda.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Comedian Benny Hill did a skit consisting of only 1 phrase :
"What is this thing called love"?
The whole meaning changes depending on the emphasized word(s).
Try it.

Grey

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
greydigger said:
Comedian Benny Hill did a skit consisting of only 1 phrase :
"What is this thing called love"?
The whole meaning changes depending on the emphasized word(s).
Try it.

Grey

I'll do you one better. Go to the music forum and listen to the King of Sax Yakety Sax. Better yet, go to youtube and listen to Yakety Sax while reading this post, it is most enjoyable :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread