Reading Comprehension 101
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    10,503
    1052 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Reading Comprehension 101

    I just wonder how many people really comprehend what they read, or has English finally become the second language in the USA? I have read several posts that will start with a statement and when someone replies the author will say that is not what I am am talking about I just don't get it, how can a statement that is delivered as fact, be anything but what is purported to be? A example would be: The sky is blue. Someone will say Yes, it is a light blue today and the author will say that is not what I am talking about.

    In other incidences you may read about a topic and make a suggestion, or give constructive criticism and be bashed for either not agreeing fully, or understanding. Either that, or they will put words in your mouth and link you to a statement you never made.

    If one would take the time to comprehend what is written they will see there is at least a partial agreement, or their idea does have some merit. I think bickering would slow down a bit if people just understood our language better.

    I don't know, maybe it's just me

  2. #2
    us
    This aint no damn flea circus!!!

    Mar 2006
    Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Eastern Idaho!
    Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
    3,058
    16 times

    Re: Reading Comprehension 101

    No Spart, its not just you. I see it all the time, hate to say it but there are just a lot of dim-witted/uneducated people in the world today. Plus, this being the internet, a lot of people seem to be very rude, argumentative & critical when they wouldnt have the balls to talk to me or you like that when face to face. They seem to get real ballsy & loud when hiding behind a computer screen & dont/cant take the time to comprehend what they are reading...........or simply dont care. You stated that the sky is blue. I must tell you that you are wrong Spart..........the sky is friggin grey!!! Damn it all, why cant you see that & how loud do I have to scream before you see this my way??

    But I think a lot of these people do read & comprehend whats written but they are lookin for an argument, a confrontation. You see Spart, the internet is the ONLY place many of these people would ever have a chance of winning an argument or a fight. Many of them are in their 40's, living in Mommies basement, they have no life & no reason to go get one. Kinda sad really. Sry, gotta cut this short.........Mother just brought my dinner down to me!
    "Agitate! Agitate! Ought to be the motto of every reformer. Agitation is the opposite of stagnation...... one is life, the other death."
    -Ernestine L. Rose-

  3. #3
    us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    10,503
    1052 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Reading Comprehension 101

    I know what you mean, if you don't agree with them 100% your the idiot

    I don't mind a little debate, constructive criticism, a new idea, etc... I really hate it when people just can't READ!! It's just a pet peeve of mine. I'll get over it, but until I do I'll have a little fun with them. Yeah, sometimes I'm a bit sarcastic and tell them to try reading it this time. Maybe too many learned to read though Hooked on Phonics

  4. #4
    us
    This aint no damn flea circus!!!

    Mar 2006
    Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Eastern Idaho!
    Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
    3,058
    16 times

    Re: Reading Comprehension 101

    ...........or Evelyn Woodhead's speed reading course!
    "Agitate! Agitate! Ought to be the motto of every reformer. Agitation is the opposite of stagnation...... one is life, the other death."
    -Ernestine L. Rose-

  5. #5
    us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    10,503
    1052 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Reading Comprehension 101

    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty AP
    ...........or Evelyn Woodhead's speed reading course!
    LOL, liked your answer better than mine It's like reading every 4th, or 5th word... Careful AP, you're moving into my territory. Soon your mind will warp beyond repair, quit now while you still have some good gray matter left

  6. #6
    us
    This aint no damn flea circus!!!

    Mar 2006
    Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Eastern Idaho!
    Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
    3,058
    16 times

    Re: Reading Comprehension 101

    LOL!!! Theres no hope for me Spart, good grey matter is for those "college boys"!
    "Agitate! Agitate! Ought to be the motto of every reformer. Agitation is the opposite of stagnation...... one is life, the other death."
    -Ernestine L. Rose-

  7. #7
    mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    14,603
    11841 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Reading Comprehension 101

    Duh? whatchu guys talking about?

    Dom Jose de La Mancha
    "I exist to live, not live to exist"

  8. #8
    us
    This aint no damn flea circus!!!

    Mar 2006
    Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Eastern Idaho!
    Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
    3,058
    16 times

    Re: Reading Comprehension 101

    Quote Originally Posted by Real de Tayopa
    Duh? whatchu guys talking about?

    Dom Jose de La Mancha
    You just smile lightly & move along Tayopa. We dont want no trouble here.
    "Agitate! Agitate! Ought to be the motto of every reformer. Agitation is the opposite of stagnation...... one is life, the other death."
    -Ernestine L. Rose-

  9. #9
    us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    10,503
    1052 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Reading Comprehension 101

    Quote Originally Posted by Real de Tayopa
    Duh? whatchu guys talking about?

    Dom Jose de La Mancha
    Well I actually wanted a serious discussion on reading comprehension, it seems that may do not understand the written work. I am sure you may have come across this on here from time to time. I think too many people try and read something into a post that is not there, and love to twist it around. I normally reply, read it again.

  10. #10
    us
    Feb 2007
    Iowa
    156
    1 times

    Re: Reading Comprehension 101

    Many times we write things but they cannot be comprehended because we dont know the feeling behind the words. Example: Yeah, I had a good day. Depends on the emphasis on the words. Relaxed response means yes I had a good day. Sarcastic response means, you know, wasnt a good day. Communication is based on the writer of the words, and as we dont know the writer personally thats how communication problems arise. Yes I know the written word is standard, but the reader is the interpreter, and sometimes the interpreter may be? Careful of who you talk down on, it just may be you who has the lower education.

  11. #11
    us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    10,503
    1052 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Reading Comprehension 101

    Quote Originally Posted by lincha
    Many times we write things but they cannot be comprehended because we dont know the feeling behind the words. Example: Yeah, I had a good day. Depends on the emphasis on the words. Relaxed response means yes I had a good day. Sarcastic response means, you know, wasnt a good day. Communication is based on the writer of the words, and as we dont know the writer personally thats how communication problems arise. Yes I know the written word is standard, but the reader is the interpreter, and sometimes the interpreter may be? Careful of who you talk down on, it just may be you who has the lower education.
    I understand your point about interpretation fully, but this wasn't what I was discussing. My first was a statement of fact, that later turns out not to be the fact at all. In the second, it is clearly a case of constructive criticism. An example would be, I just made a one wheel car. Someone may reply I think that using 4 wheels will make the car more stable. Now the original author will get bent out of shape and say, what make you think that driving around with 4 square wheels is the better mode of transportation? This is what I mean by comprehension. A constructive comment was given and then words are popped into the replying contributors mouth that were never ushered to begin with; 4 square wheels. As far as having a lower education, I doubt anyone is lower that my kindergarten one.

  12. #12
    us
    Feb 2007
    Iowa
    156
    1 times

    Re: Reading Comprehension 101

    Hey spart wasnt talking about your education was more a reference to the other post calling people dimwitted. In my book, street smarts and life smarts is just or more important than college smarts, because all in all once you get the education you have to know what to do with it. I was not in anyway trying to insult you. I like reading your posts and like your humor. Regards, Linda.

  13. #13
    us
    Endeaver to perservere

    Mar 2008
    Aloha, Orygun
    wishing stick
    1,372
    32 times
    Searching

    Re: Reading Comprehension 101


    Comedian Benny Hill did a skit consisting of only 1 phrase :
    "What is this thing called love"?
    The whole meaning changes depending on the emphasized word(s).
    Try it.

    Grey
    Nothing stated may be true as far as we know
    Seek professional advice. Some items are limited
    Not available in all states. Illigitimi non carborundum. Carpe oro.

  14. #14
    us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    10,503
    1052 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Reading Comprehension 101

    Quote Originally Posted by greydigger

    Comedian Benny Hill did a skit consisting of only 1 phrase :
    "What is this thing called love"?
    The whole meaning changes depending on the emphasized word(s).
    Try it.

    Grey
    I'll do you one better. Go to the music forum and listen to the King of Sax Yakety Sax. Better yet, go to youtube and listen to Yakety Sax while reading this post, it is most enjoyable

 

 

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

don jose la mancha reading comprehension
,

reading comprehension 101

,
video on english comprehention 101
,
youtube benny hill what is this thing called love
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0