Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And some overused words, I guess. 'Been there, done that', was cool the first 200 times it was used, startin to become more rarely used now, I think. 'It is what it is'. Where did that come from, and what does it mean? (other than 'I can't explain this, but feel as if I should say something that sounds contemporary and you might accept this as an explanation for my shortcomings?!) 'I'm your worst f****n nightmare!' Heard that so many times in Oklahoma, but haven't heard it here in Colorado for about 7 years now. I started usin it out of nostalgia I guess. People just looked at me like I could be, so I quit that. My least favorite word of all time that should be banned from the language is 'closure'. Never heard that much until after the OKC bombing. It was on the lips of all the media and anyone even remotely connected to that tragedy. I don't think the people usin it even really knew what it meant, but it made them sound educated on the TV if they got interviewed. 'You have a good one!' Used too much by convenience store clerkettes. I break them of it by always sayin, 'Yes I do! Thanks!' Are there any y'all don't like or find particularly grating?

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about "24-7" or "You go girl!"? Another one that gets me is "She went missing". How in the heck does someone go missing? "I feel your pain!"....how can you possibly feel my pain??

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mostly the ghetto talk I hear in dept. and grocery stores gets me going. Like the "baby daddy" and "baby momma" crap. Also, "My baby 1 years old" or a better one I heard not too long ago "My baby 12 month years old".

I also don't like the "it is what it is" saying, I mean really? really? let's see... what else could it be?, "It is what it aint?", uhh... I don't think so.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on what your definition of is, is. ;D
Yeah, that "My baby daddy" line cracks me up. It's like it legitimizes their no commitment relationship. She can't say "my husband" so this is how they describe their lifestyle. Thing is, even white women are using the term. My son had a license plate cover custom made that says, "I'm da baby Nana" because we often make fun of that line.
Another one that gets me is when they preceed a description with the term "Hella-" meaning it's WAY cool or WAY bad or VERY good looking as in. "She's hella gorgeous" or "It's hella cold outside" or "This sandwich is hella good". Now, how dumb does that sound? Probably about as dumb as; bummer, groovy and far out sounded to elders in the 60's. :D

Moneypenny

Dec 30, 2010
Florida
Oh boy...

not words:
"stick-to-it-iveness"
"guesstimate"

not true:
"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"
"Everything will be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end."
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

"Can you crack the window?"
Sure, anybody have a baseball bat?

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
now that it is hurricane weather again, I hate the term "hunker down" I have survived just fine all my years without having to just that

got tired of .....

off the hook
off the chain'
the bomb
all that and a bag of chips

and it always make me wonder when someone starts out with , can I honestly say..or can I be honest with you?

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
The one I hate the most as of late is "like" used every other word by today's youth.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate any type of ebonics.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"You know" I know one guy who adds that to every sentence.. Yes, I do know, now shut up :laughing9:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

My retort: "It's always broke."

So often it's used as an excuse not to change old habits or thoughtless habitual ways of doing things so we don't consider that there are things we can (and should) change for the better - and especially so in government or business. Just like a regular program of maintenance on your car, we need a regular program to evaluate what we need to change to be better.

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"It is what it is" is particularly troubling to my stomach.
"Baby daddy/momma" makes me want to puke.
"Just sayin" which is one of the latest popular sayings but does not stick in my craw as bad as some of the others.
"Really" see above
"Are you serious right now" see above
"Baby bump" make me have a syncopal episode.
"Got game", "Up in here" , Clubbin" , "Mines" as in "Mines ain't like that" or "Are you collecting the papers? Do you want mines?"
"Fo Sho"
"Dawg"
"Home boy"
One of my least favorites is" reverse racism" which is a racist term in and of itself

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Anyone who uses the word "dude" six times in a paragraph.
or uses it as a greeting... "Dude!"
the word shuts me off quick.

I want to say "Dude, get a vocabulary."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread