OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if youve never worked the program then youve never gotten sober.your a dry drunk.the programs about changing yourself.not just putting down the alcohol,thats not what makes you sober.sorry cheif,guys like you think you can just sit back and stay the same just without the alcohol and that makes you sober.then somehow believe you deserve a coin from a program you know nothing about because you just havent drank.and have never worked it.you want to get sober,get in the program.you can be in aa or around aa.i choose to be in and sober.good luck and remember,alcohol,drugs are all the same.if your taking anything to change your brain then your not sober.a drug is a drug is a drug.alcohol is a drug also.

Ahhhh..
The "Opinion" I was wondering about.
Are you serious ? Cause I never did 12 steps & lived by "the Big Book" I hear it's Christian Based??? But The Only big Book
I "TRY" to live by is the BIBLE.

Been around AA since I was 10, went & was forced to go to meetings starting at 16 , so I may not know it all but I get the "Blue Print" It was just not for me.
P.S. I get the Chip for Myself. & I Will Get one this year.
Back in the 80's AA (It's People) 'Star House' in Rome Ga,' Saved my Grandmothers Life, Heck She was Seizing & having DT while living in a No Heat/ Air Trailer in Hiram Ga in 84 Did not know what an Alcoholic Was. 60 ish Years old & almost blind form Cataracts ,She asked God to save her & He did . Using AA as a tool.
As I said it was just not for Me & my Late Mom.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been on the wagon for the Last 2 hours .
as I said it's easy to quit !

seriously though, in my 20's I used to drink every chance I could.
My choices were

Rum & cokes

Southern Comfort & Molson Chasers

Southern Comfort & Heiniken Chasers

are the drinks I remember drinking .
I would start early afternoon,
By 2AM I was swearing off alcohol till the next afternoon , then I'd start over.

one night in my mid 20's I think, I went out drinking,
and woke up at home in my car.
walked in the house & straight into a wall.

so I made up my mind to quit

I turned 60 in June

with the exception of half a a bottle of WADADLI Lager a friend gave me a few years ago,
which made me curious, and tasted like monkey urine probably tastes like .
and whatever my niece cooked with on rare occasions and didn't warn me.
I don't drink. or do any mind altering substances.

I don't crave it. I joke on occasion here.

but I am Jeff of PA and I ain't anybody's fool :laughing7:
I'll never pay anyone to preach to me
or listen to me rant , Brutz & cry
:tongue3:

Been there done that , Except for the Beer Chaser . Always hated the taste of Beer.
GD

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there done that , Except for the Beer Chaser . Always hated the taste of Beer.
GD

Beer tasted like root Beer to me, immediately after a shot of SC.
this is why I kept the shots lined up.

hangovers were a mystery to me though. I don't remember hangovers

Last edited:
OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are lots of lists but they all still boil down to the same list A.A. uses.

Lots of signs. If someone answers yes to 4 or more they have a drinking problem...

A.A. Test.

Have you ever decided to stop drinking for a week or so, but only lasted for a couple of days?

Most of us in A.A. made all kinds of promises to ourselves and to our families. We could not keep them. Then we came to A.A. A.A. said: "Just try not to drink today." (If you do not drink today, you cannot get drunk today.)

2. Do you wish people would mind their own business about your drinking-- stop telling you what to do?

In A.A. we do not tell anyone to do anything. We just talk about our own drinking, the trouble we got into, and how we stopped. We will be glad to help you, if you want us to.

3. Have you ever switched from one kind of drink to another in the hope that this would keep you from getting drunk?

We tried all kinds of ways. We made our drinks weak. Or just drank beer. Or we did not drink cocktails. Or only drank on weekends. You name it, we tried it. But if we drank anything with alcohol in it, we usually got drunk eventually.

4. Have you had to have an eye-opener upon awakening during the past year?

Do you need a drink to get started, or to stop shaking? This is a pretty sure sign that you are not drinking "socially."

5. Do you envy people who can drink without getting into trouble?

At one time or another, most of us have wondered why we were not like most people, who really can take it or leave it.

6. Have you had problems connected with drinking during the past year?

Be honest! Doctors say that if you have a problem with alcohol and keep on drinking, it will get worse -- never better. Eventually, you will die, or end up in an institution for the rest of your life. The only hope is to stop drinking.

7. Has your drinking caused trouble at home?

Most said that it was the people or problems at home that made us drink. We could not see that our drinking just made everything worse. It never solved problems anywhere or anytime.

8. Do you ever try to get "extra" drinks at a party because you do not get enough?

Most of us used to have a "few" before we started out if we thought it was going to be that kind of party. And if drinks were not served fast enough, we would go some place else to get more.

9. Do you tell yourself you can stop drinking any time you want to, even though you keep getting drunk when you don't mean to?

Many of us kidded ourselves into thinking that we drank because we wanted to. After we came into A.A., we found out that once we started to drink, we couldn't stop.

10. Have you missed days of work or school because of drinking?

Many of us admit now that we "called in sick" lots of times when the truth was that we were hung-over or on a drunk.

11. Do you have "blackouts"?

A "blackout" is when we have been drinking hours or days which we cannot remember. When we came to A.A., we found out that this is a pretty sure sign of alcoholic drinking.

12. Have you ever felt that your life would be better if you did not drink?

Many of us started to drink because drinking made life seem better, at least for a while. By the time we got into A.A., we felt trapped. We were drinking to live and living to drink. We were sick and tired of being sick and tired.

YES to 11 of the 12 Questions.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Xanax is not drinking.
While it can be argued it substitutes, it's definitely not drinking.
Other conditions ,possibly underlying an urge to drink may relate too. I don't know your case Davers, or need to.
I fought to get of all pills and try to avoid them but sometimes one would make more sense than dealing with pain.
For many folks, shaving the highs and lows of a days emotions are required to be calm. Not a crime. If they wore large badges when taking such medication the numbers would be surprising, maybe.
I have not taken Xanax(Cymbalta though) but highly doubt it cures alcoholism or many cases could be eliminated. By affecting an underlying cause, sure, with effort and more.
AA could answer your question better than I for sure but you're the non drinker..(!)
If an annual chip works as a milestone and help you acknowledge your progress/commitment, here's hoping your pockets drag in time.
If you do anything near as stupid on Xanax than you did drinking, I for one will be very surprised.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just Signed on & saw your post & have not read any after.

You know ,it's a fine line (the addiction ,everyday Functional User).& The way our local Court System 'the only one I really know much about) Sentences People is messed up.
I see what U mean about titles as well. We 'People' can be awful judge mental and Hypocritical .

Like you I know people who Drink everyday 'the ones who keep it under a 12 pack of Pint a day usually can be functional'
but Still have 1 or 2 nights a year where things get out of control.

I also have friends & know people who have "Toked" for 30 some years Did for twenty myself.

Tho I don't really hang with many of my friends from the teen & twenty's ( It was likely the crowd I hung with), about 70% hit the Street drugs ..Caine Mostly in 80-90's , Then the Friggin ,Ice 2002-2007 ,Pills 08 -13 , Now Heroin has taken over.
Most of my friends , the ones I see on FB & stuff seem to have "got Strait or Control' of the Hard Drugs by now (early to late 40's). b/t Most still drink (casually) or Toke if they can.
Actually none of my close friends have got on "H" but Some of their Kids have & A-LOT of their friends.
Sorry for my Rant, I'm talking Locally (N, GA).
Heck most Folks I know In Cobb, Paulding , Cherokee, Douglas ,Bartow & Fulton Counties Take some sort of pill for Some reason 'Talking Controlled Substances', many Went out of Control & the ones my age IMO. About half have got Control , 25% Still Abuse & 25% go the Methadone Route.

I never was one who could Control My Drinking ,Hence I finally Quit, I never say never again cause I quit for 2 half years back in the late 90's but Started up again in late 99 & Had been to Jail 3 times Wrecked 2 cars + other Crap by May 2001.

I posted this cause I had my last drink on Sept 12 02 but I still Take Xanax everyday Tho I don't abuse It.
Just wondered how people in AA would see it ,( when I go get a yearly 'Chip' like I have since 10 years No Booze.)
? Does my Sobriety still count cause I take Xanax Everyday.
To be honest , I really don't care much what they think, Cause I & my Family know where the PROBLEM Came.
Just don't want to step on anybody's toes (to speak) who are not only trying to not drink but not take/Abuse Benzos (Anxiety Pill.s) anymore.

Just my thought that I have had from time to time.
Peace
Davers

To be Honest! I originally read your first post wrong! That's why my following post made little sense. I was headed a different direction! I do this a lot!:laughing7:

Yes, I can go for hours on my thoughts about addictions.(doesn't mean I'm right, I just have lots of thoughts:laughing7:)

Like you, I have had or have friends of all types. And most people, even the ones that don't want to admit, have experimented or are on something! Whether prescribed or not. I've been real lucky!!! I was never interested in the heavy stuff. I do know and I'm close to people that have been.

Heroin isn't just a problem in GA. I'm hearing it's taking over Michigan and Ohio too. Maybe, everywhere?

Anyhow! I did misunderstand your first post. And I have tons of interest and thoughts on all the surrounding subjects too! Crazy world!! If you don't become addicted to alcohol or drugs? The doctors(their not even to blame) will help you out? That is not meant to start a war with anyone! I have reasons for disagreeing with just handing out and prescribing pills to anyone and everyone. I have lived with roller coasters and I blame it all on prescribed pills, instead of trying to get to the root problem. Instead of numbing or masking the problem.

If I have a thorn in my toe? Numbing my foot doesn't take away the thorn. Then that gets into other things too.......My thorn meaning goes deeper than just people and toes. One of the number one killers,or ranks up there towards the top, is suicide! Why? What's the problem? What's the cure? Numb the population?

I'm side tracked, but I think some of it might all be tied together.

Last edited:

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
court forced me to go and it didnt work. I still drink but i know why. Some of us are haunted by the past and beer helps me to forget.:dontknow:

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! Drink for days at a time? or have blackouts? I have never! That's a little overboard. I have never missed work. People who don't drink do comment...that's a bit much uh?? Yeh my tolerance is higher then yours....duh:laughing7: I already have a temper from hell, drinking doesn't seem to change it...That's why I have a heavy bag:icon_thumright: There are a lot of strange questions in that "test" I drink to get a good buzz, sometimes a little more. Maybe I'm one of those high flatulating alkys.

Hopefully Real Quick Post..
My buddy now 43 has a Big Bro, Bout 10 years older (Grew up in the 70's) When we would party (everyday) he always Got up went to work & pretty much stayed out of trouble . I used to ask him "Steven" How do you do it Man?
He say's I never had a Blackout or Hangover, avg, a Fifth of Canadian a Day.
Bout 15 years ago he Moved to the Outer Banks (Still did his thing ,so I hear from his Brother's) probably 1 half years ago His wife passed from Cancer 'Hear he took it real hard' Lost my Mom @ 50 form that crap.
Anyway he came into town last Christmas , stayed with his Bro ,for a couple Weeks.
Over the past 5 or more years his Dr, told him he had to Quit drinking cause he was having Liver , Stomach & other Booze related issues as of then He was drinking a Half Gallon of Vodka a Day 'sometimes more' usually by the end of each day he was talking about wanting to Die ,/ Driving his car into a wall @ 100mph , Blowing his Brains out. Sad really I assume he is almost 60 & i'm afraid time is running low. b/t He made his Choices in life.
Last I heard he hit the road to AK to see his Sister in Jan, & as of 2 weeks later No one had heard from him.

Saw his bro, yesterday & I asked about Steven & he said "He's still the same"
& left it at that.
I'm SURE all the Partying was fun but to be Dying at 60 ,Imo = Def, Not worth it.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be Honest! I originally read your first post wrong! That's why my following post made little sense. I was headed a different direction! I do this a lot!:laughing7:

Yes, I can go for hours on my thoughts about addictions.(doesn't mean I'm right, I just have lots of thoughts:laughing7:)

Like you, I have had or have friends of all types. And most people, even the ones that don't want to admit, have experimented or are on something! Whether prescribed or not. I've been real lucky!!! I was never interested in the heavy stuff. I do know and I'm close to people that have been.

Heroin isn't just a problem in GA. I'm hearing it's taking over Michigan and Ohio too. Maybe, everywhere?

Anyhow! I did misunderstand your first post. And I have tons of interest and thoughts on all the surrounding subjects too! Crazy world!! If you don't become addicted to alcohol or drugs? The doctors(their not even to blame) will help you out? That is not meant to start a war with anyone! I have reasons for disagreeing with just handing out and prescribing pills to anyone and everyone. I have lived with roller coasters and I blame it all on prescribed pills, instead of trying to get to the root problem. Instead of numbing or masking the problem. If I have a thorn in my toe? Numbing my foot doesn't take away the thorn. Then that gets into other things too.......

Oh man .
I def, ain't Mad at Ya.
I understand you completely.
Davers

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xanax is not drinking.
While it can be argued it substitutes, it's definitely not drinking.
Other conditions ,possibly underlying an urge to drink may relate too. I don't know your case Davers, or need to.
I fought to get of all pills and try to avoid them but sometimes one would make more sense than dealing with pain.
For many folks, shaving the highs and lows of a days emotions are required to be calm. Not a crime. If they wore large badges when taking such medication the numbers would be surprising, maybe.
I have not taken Xanax(Cymbalta though) but highly doubt it cures alcoholism or many cases could be eliminated. By affecting an underlying cause, sure, with effort and more.
AA could answer your question better than I for sure but you're the non drinker..(!)
If an annual chip works as a milestone and help you acknowledge your progress/commitment, here's hoping your pockets drag in time.
If you do anything near as stupid on Xanax than you did drinking, I for one will be very surprised.

Right on Man Thanks.
Davers

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use to drink Southern Comfort, now can not even stand to smell Southern Comfort bottle cap, same with gin. I'm a Scotch lover, also like tequila, vodka, rum and a few different beers, I just dont drink them often....Haven't had a mixed drink in about 6 weeks.... Had 2 beers Sat night while watching UFC title fight...

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use to drink Southern Comfort, now can not even stand to smell Southern Comfort bottle cap, same with gin. I'm a Scotch lover, also like tequila, vodka, rum and a few different beers, I just dont drink them often....Haven't had a mixed drink in about 6 weeks.... Had 2 beers Sat night while watching UFC title fight...
im gettin old so dont drink as much. May be should start OA instead of AA. OLD AGE :dontknow:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was never much of a drinker as far as on a daily basis. But I used to go to the bars on payday for years. I was a weekend warrior. I have a high tolerance level, so when I drank, I drank enough for several people. The way I saw it was, there is no sense in drinking if you aren't gonna get drunk, that's what it's for right? Nowadays, I haven't had a drink in well over a decade except maybe a beer once or twice on special occasions. It wasn't really a conscience decision, it was just something that happened. When I quit going to the bars on Friday and/or Saturday nights, I quit drinking. I didn't miss it. To be honest, I couldn't stand the hangovers anymore. One night of drinking took 3 days to recuperate it seemed like.

Not to mention... I have watched nearly every person in my small circle of friends from 20-25 years ago die from mostly alcohol related problems over the last 8-10 years. One of those friends is sitting in a Fl. state prison as we speak because he chose to get behind the wheel drunk and kill his passenger when he wrecked. Another one died in prison a few years ago, after being in there for approx. 20 years because of dui related deaths. Another was killed in a head on collision while driving drunk. Yet another one was drunk one night and decided to take a sawed off 16 gauge shotgun to his mouth. Three more died from cirrhosis due to drinking. I'm glad I gave it up when I did. Binge drinking or not, I'd probably be battling health or liver problems today if I hadn't, because of it.

I wasn't intentionally bashing AA in my earlier comment. I was just stating how I felt about it personally. Like someone else stated, if it helps one person then it's a good thing. It's just not for me.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was never much of a drinker as far as on a daily basis. But I used to go to the bars on payday for years. I was a weekend warrior. I have a high tolerance level, so when I drank, I drank enough for several people. The way I saw it was, there is no sense in drinking if you aren't gonna get drunk, that's what it's for right? Nowadays, I haven't had a drink in well over a decade except maybe a beer once or twice on special occasions. It wasn't really a conscience decision, it was just something that happened. When I quit going to the bars on Friday and/or Saturday nights, I quit drinking. I didn't miss it. To be honest, I couldn't stand the hangovers anymore. One night of drinking took 3 days to recuperate it seemed like.

Not to mention... I have watched nearly every person in my small circle of friends from 20-25 years ago die from mostly alcohol related problems over the last 8-10 years. One of those friends is sitting in a Fl. state prison as we speak because he chose to get behind the wheel drunk and kill his passenger when he wrecked. Another one died in prison a few years ago, after being in there for approx. 20 years because of dui related deaths. Another was killed in a head on collision while driving drunk. Yet another one was drunk one night and decided to take a sawed off 16 gauge shotgun to his mouth. Three more died from cirrhosis due to drinking. I'm glad I gave it up when I did. Binge drinking or not, I'd probably be battling health or liver problems today if I hadn't, because of it.

I wasn't intentionally bashing AA in my earlier comment. I was just stating how I felt about it personally. Like someone else stated, if it helps one person then it's a good thing. It's just not for me.
started drinkin in 69 over in Japan. I was on the US judo team many years ago. My father was there with me and allowed it till i drank something with opium in it. He then told me to stop. I was 16 years old.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
started drinkin in 69 over in Japan. I was on the US judo team many years ago. My father was there with me and allowed it till i drank something with opium in it. He then told me to stop. I was 16 years old.
By AA I meant I wasn't bashing Alcoholics Anonymous. I wasn't bashing you either, but that's not what I meant, lol. In '69 I was a mere 3 years of age, I had another 10 years to go before I tried alcohol, among other things.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1969 I was stationed at Kadena AFB Okinawa and a fifth of Chivas Regal was $1.10, a fifth of Smirnoff Vodka was .90 cents, drinking was cheap and town was wild...

Last edited:

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By AA I meant I wasn't bashing Alcoholics Anonymous. I wasn't bashing you either, but that's not what I meant, lol. In '69 I was a mere 3 years of age, I had another 10 years to go before I tried alcohol, among other things.
dont worry be happy

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1969 I was stationed at Kadena AFB Okinawa and a fifth of Chivas Regal was $1.10, a fifth of Smirnoff Vodka was .90 cents, drinking was cheap and town was wild...
wow you be older than i

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
like a cult :unhappysmiley:

like the "Kids for Cash" Scandal

I wonder what type of Kickbacks the judges get for forcing people to sign up

being from the kids for cash capital...i can tell you...my best friend was a kid for cash... and some AA groups around here are just as corrupt! i believe some aspects of AA are utter BS. Some groups "ive heard" are just a social club and do not even try to help newcomersor anyone...ive sponsered numerous people for a few years and theres only one or two groups that are actually committed to helping...the rest just put people down...over the years i believe AA has changed its core values...members talk trash on other members and open theyre mouths when they shouldnt...the program does work but you have a 1 in 1000 chance of finding a group that actually does it the old and right way! but back to your orginal question...is your Zannys are prescribed and you legit take as directed...and dont fake the symptoms of anxiety...then yes you are sober...now if ur taking 4 bars every 4-6 hours...runing out 2-3 weeks before refilll...there may be a problem. I hope this helps and this is just my opinion...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread