Cursive Writing not taught anymore?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At-least in public Schools in my area (that I know of )..What Do you Think.?

I think it's pretty Stupid. Maybe even a conspiracy???

I wonder if kids don't write it , but can they read it?

I like to read old Civil War letters & it can be pretty hard sometimes W/diff, Spelling & writing style.

I would like my Son to be able to read the old letters my Grandparents wrote ,as well as letters/things my late mother Wrote. A-lot of Historical Documents were written in Cursive , but I guess Someone will translate then into regular writing.
It seems if one were doing research on 'Whatever' 'family records, Info, on old sites, Diaries written by Soldiers or others.
Just don't seem Right:icon_scratch:

Was talking about this W/ my Friend/Counselor yesterday & She mentioned going with her Niece ( who just Graduated High School last spring ) to get her Drivers License & when the worker said to Sign her name , She Printed it, & ( I think ) the worker said "No that won't work" So I guess She Scribbled Something Out .:dontknow: Heck you can not read many Dr's & others Signatures Anyway.
Guess that's what the Wife & I get for sending our Son to public School.
Just wish I had the Patience to teach him Myself.
Don't Know much about it , but this "Common Core" things Schools do really don't make much since to me, I plan to learn more about it.

My Son is in 2 ed Grade & already has more Homework than I did in 5th Grade.
Hope these higher standards will help him but all kids learn Differently .
Guess ill find out as the Future Unfolds.
GD All.
Davers:thumbsup:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
At-least in public Schools in my area (that I know of )..What Do you Think.?

I think it's pretty Stupid. Maybe even a conspiracy???

I wonder if kids don't write it , but can they read it?

I like to read old Civil War letters & it can be pretty hard sometimes W/diff, Spelling & writing style.

I would like my Son to be able to read the old letters my Grandparents wrote ,as well as letters/things my late mother Wrote. A-lot of Historical Documents were written in Cursive , but I guess Someone will translate then into regular writing.
It seems if one were doing research on 'Whatever' 'family records, Info, on old sites, Diaries written by Soldiers or others.
Just don't seem Right:icon_scratch:

Was talking about this W/ my Friend/Counselor yesterday & She mentioned going with her Niece ( who just Graduated High School last spring ) to get her Drivers License & when the worker said to Sign her name , She Printed it, & ( I think ) the worker said "No that won't work" So I guess She Scribbled Something Out .:dontknow: Heck you can not read many Dr's & others Signatures Anyway.
Guess that's what the Wife & I get for sending our Son to public School.
Just wish I had the Patience to teach him Myself.
Don't Know much about it , but this "Common Core" things Schools do really don't make much since to me, I plan to learn more about it.

My Son is in 2 ed Grade & already has more Homework than I did in 5th Grade.
Hope these higher standards will help him but all kids learn Differently .
Guess ill find out as the Future Unfolds.
GD All.
Davers:thumbsup:
Well, the Docs have at least 4 years in Med School, to learn how to "SCRIBBLE"...

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is a travesty that they do not teach it anymore. My 19 year old step daughter said she learned it but my 13,14 and 16 year old daughters said they never did learn cursive. I cannot believe it is not taught as a basic life skill along with keyboarding skills these days.

Last edited:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Won't be long before writing all together is eliminated. I have two sons in school....electronic lessons, homework and esigs (electronic signatures). Heck, even at my place of employment...any document that I need to fill out/sign is emailed to me, signed electronically and emailed back...lol. Probably won't need pencils or pens in the future either.

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why not bring back the abacus for math and do homework by candle light?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The kids today are not taught on how to be citizens of a nation,they are taught how to be good obedient slaves.Slaves have no need of writing.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct, they do not teach it anymore and the kids can't read it either - That's not the scary thing though -
You should check out what they are teaching our kids.................

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please watch the politics..

Last edited:

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some schools still do teach cursive. And that's a good thing. There's a small but growing movement to bring it back.

Writing things by hand makes you smarter. There are innumerable studies to support this, and I believe it myself. Wish I'd been taught the Palmer method; it produces a beautiful, legible hand.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some schools still do teach cursive. And that's a good thing. There's a small but growing movement to bring it back.

Writing things by hand makes you smarter. There are innumerable studies to support this, and I believe it myself. Wish I'd been taught the Palmer method; it produces a beautiful, legible hand.
I was taught the Palmer method. My fine motors skills leave a little something to be desired and while my cursive is legible, I'd hardly call it beautiful.:laughing7:

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Won't be long before writing all together is eliminated. I have two sons in school....electronic lessons, homework and esigs (electronic signatures). Heck, even at my place of employment...any document that I need to fill out/sign is emailed to me, signed electronically and emailed back...lol. Probably won't need pencils or pens in the future either.

IMO There should be At-least 2 Hard Copies of everything.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks For the reply's Just wondering what others thought of this subject.

All this has me wondering how Cursive writing ever got started in the world.
Seems Ancient man used symbols ,pictures , etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread