vietnam veteran

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Just today as I was coming out of Best Buy, I spotted a man standing beside the sidewalk. He was dresses in camo and was standing leaning on a cane. He was holding a cardboard sign which read, "Vietnam veteran disabled in need of money," Normally I see people standing there that are able to work, but just begging for money, but this was different, he actually looked the part. I had already passed him when my wife said "he looks like he needs money, and she is less proned to give handouts than I. This was like a wakeup call, as I turned around to go back, she started digging In her purse. Since we had already been shopping, we only had 8 dollars between us. As I pulled up to him he tried to stand straight and tall but was unable to. I handed him the money and said "thank you sir for your service." He said ,"I would do it all over again except that I have been shot 22 times, one leg amputated and the other shot up badly. He seemed most appreciative as I handed him the money and as I started to drive away he said, " God Bless You." It is hard to describe what I was feeling as I drove away, sympathy for sure, but also some satisfaction that I could help out a veteran, and also remorse for his predicament. I am sure there are many such veterans out there that need a helping hand, struggling to make ends meet. I made a promise to myself, not only this holiday season, but everyday to show a little more kindness to people and be less judgemental. Unless we have walked in their shoes it is hard to know their pains, sufferings and trials. I am thankful for the freedom these vets have allowed us to enjoy and proud of their service to our country, The greatest on earth. Good Luck. rockhound

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good on you RockHound! Depending on where you live, there are many Veteran Organizations that can help this man. It is just a phone call away, and could change a life. Thank you again RockHound, for caring! :occasion14:

BRC

Jun 24, 2011
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Sand Shark, At-Max, EquInox 800, Deus 2..
You didnt do him any favors by giving him cash....buy him a meal or a pack of smokes...Not cash..

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didnt do him any favors by giving him cash....buy him a meal or a pack of smokes...Not cash..

Well if a Dollar Burger , Pack of Cig's , & a Bottle of Mad Dog 20/20, is what helped him that day , I'm good with that.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your thoughtfulness and generosity. It's inspiring.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
If he is what he says he is, he has 100% disability from the VA. He is also on 100% disability with Social Security.

He should be receiving monthly checks totaling north of 3K.

The VA will also provide housing if he is in need. Full free medical care and free prescriptions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread