Obtaining permission to hunt?

Riggleman

Mar 7, 2016
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Need help obtaining new hunting grounds. I live 45 minutes west of winchester va. The area I live in is rich in colonial, french/indian and civil war history. I am beginning to get discouraged due to lack of places to detect. The area I live is predominantly farm land. I have researched and found many promising places to dig, however when I contact the property owners nearly EVERY one of them denies permission. They are all wealthy land owners with 100+ acre estates. On the other hand I can ask someone with less than an acre to their name and they give me permission to dig their whole yard. I am tired of digging clad coins and trash. Everywhere i go i find clad coins, modern bullets, the regular park finds. I am very polite in my asking, informing them of my name my intentions and offering them first pick of all finds. I know if i was allowed on good hunting grounds i could pull treasure from the ground. How can I get past this and obtain access to the good stuff. I am beginning to get discouraged with detecting for this reason. If detecting has taught me anything it is how greedy people are. The good people allow you to dig their small yards offer you lunch or something to drink when the wealthy deny access for fear you'll find a modern Lincoln penny. They would rather let history be forgot. Please post your thoughts and ideas on this problem. Thanks all that read this post. And HH to all!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
So start searching public lands, forest, ditches and so on.

These land owner; do they have signs up that state these are good grounds for treasure hunting? You never know where your going to find stuff, so hunt where you can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread