Dead Gorilla, Live Child, Clueless Accusers

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want to say something to those of you who are “outraged” at the death of the Silverback Gorilla that was shot to save a young boy’s life. I’m typing to the people “blaming” the parents. Having worked as a respiratory technician in a mid-size city emergency room for a few years, I know children often get away from good, loving, caring, alert parents for "just a split second." Real life happens.

I would shoot a dozen gorillas to save one human child’s life. I would cry. I would feel good and bad, but I would pull the trigger. The Zoo had NO choice. The end. As for the parents?
“He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone at her.”

Last edited by a moderator:

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you, in that the gorilla had to be killed to save the child. They did not tell on the news how that child managed to get into the enclosure. Because of that, I can't tell where the fault lay. Apparently, the enclosure is not child proof.
But as a parent, who is very observant of potentially dangerous areas my child may encounter, I can't imagine not keeping an "eagle" eye on my child.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Gorilla's aren't the only 2-legged predator to keep an eye out for!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hell, I would have taken out King Kong if it were my cat, much less a child. Where are some people's priorities?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Parents should be charged and fined for causing his death. Charge is "child endangerment"... No different than being charged when a child gets ahold of a loaded gun.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
“He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone at her.”

I can chuck that first stone- I never lost my kid into traffic, the lion cage, the park, a lake, the train station- nowhere. She was my little 'stick-tight'.

I agree with TH. The parents need to be charged with the offense of Child Neglect or Endangerment.

Just because everyone has the equipment to manufacture children, it doesn't mean they should.

They figured out what causes pregnancy, and hey! It's preventable without loosing the fun.

I see way too many future losers running loose in shopping centers, airports, schools, the streets....

(That Gorilla was more intelligent than at least half of the people on the other side of the fence)

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
imo the only life that matters is Human life.
The rest is Expendable.
though Seriously if I was in charge,
the Meat would be sent to a Food Bank.

Even so there is a process known as Taxidermy.
they can still make money exhibiting it :dontknow:

as far as the Parents. I need to know if this kid bolted in a split second or what ?
I'm not sure if Leashes on kids are legal any more.
especially in California.
They may have been known to cause cancer by the State

images.jpg

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorilla was more intelligent than the parents, but that isn't saying much.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with you, in that the gorilla had to be killed to save the child. They did not tell on the news how that child managed to get into the enclosure. Because of that, I can't tell where the fault lay. Apparently, the enclosure is not child proof.
But as a parent, who is very observant of potentially dangerous areas my child may encounter, I can't imagine not keeping an "eagle" eye on my child.

Reason mother is getting death threats: child climbed 3' barrier after multiple warnings he was going into the gorilla exibit. After mom turned her back, over he went.

Yeah, I had to know as I've been to that zoo.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reason mother is getting death threats: child climbed 3' barrier after multiple warnings he was going into the gorilla exibit. After mom turned her back, over he went.

Yeah, I had to know as I've been to that zoo.

still no reason the Threaten the Mother.
I hope the Police are investigating the Threats.
they would if the Mother wasn't a Real female.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd wager that back when this zoo was built the lives of humans were valued more than a gorilla's. And children obeyed better...

My, how far as a country we've backslid.

Still, leave the mother to suffer her parenting choices.

laradactyl

Jan 12, 2016
Kerrville, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm surprised not to have seen that the zoo should be expected to construct the enclosure in a way that would prevent children or adults from entering from the observation area. I have no idea how a parent would be expected to control their children these days, since any effective form of discipline is now illegal. At least since the boy survived he has learned that there can actually be consequences to disobedience, something that modern day restrictions have eliminated from today's children's upbringing. I am surprised that the gorilla was killed rather than tranquilized but I am sure the people who made that decision know more about the effectiveness of the different options that were available to them. They were also more knowledgeable of the personality traits of that particular individual gorilla and the level of threat than those who question the method used to end the situation.

I think that the enclosure should probably be made child proof, considering the fact that today's parents are not allowed the methods to control their children effectively. The actual blame for the whole situation lies with those who put into law restrictions on parents that eliminated teaching their offspring that there are undesirable consequences for disobedience. Rewarding good behavior has proven not to be an effective alternative and never should have been considered one. Unfortunately some of today's children never learn about such consequences until their first night in jail. This is a disservice to all.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from what I saw one witness say on the news.
if more people saw the kids head being bounced off the wall
when out of range of the cameras. they would have known why
the decision to end it was made.

just because the kid was not kicking and screaming doesn't mean he was
completely conscious.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I can chuck that first stone- I never lost my kid into traffic, the lion cage, the park, a lake, the train station- nowhere. She was my little 'stick-tight'.

I agree with TH. The parents need to be charged with the offense of Child Neglect or Endangerment.

Just because everyone has the equipment to manufacture children, it doesn't mean they should.

They figured out what causes pregnancy, and hey! It's preventable without loosing the fun.

I see way too many future losers running loose in shopping centers, airports, schools, the streets....

(That Gorilla was more intelligent than at least half of the people on the other side of the fence)

Hey Guy, I gotta agree with ya on part of this - about the gorilla being smarter than half the folks.....probably more! But you also need to keep in mind that while some kids have an aversion to running off, other kids will do it in a heartbeat. Even kids that "normally" stick close to you can suddenly get an overwhelming urge to run and check something out. Kids see things that adults never do. Often due to imagination, but often due to being more observant to new things. ....But as far as the part about shopping centers, airports, schools, I couldn't agree more!!(!!)

....You know how some kids, like say in the grocery store, will go running off when they see candy? Or maybe Santa at the mall (hopefully at Christmastime :tongue3:)? This kid maybe had the same exact kind of urge and saw just as little danger. In any case, is a sad state of affairs!!

TH - Yes, the parents "should" be charged - however, losing a child "should also" be punishment in itself.

Austin - Oh, you're making things difficult here! So much of me wants to agree wholeheartedly!! However, man takes priority over beast....although why I'm sometimes wondering myself!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
"I am surprised that the gorilla was killed rather than tranquilized..."
When an animal like a gorilla already has a child in its hands, shooting anything other than a lethal shot could too easily set off the animal. Sadly, they did the right thing - but how I wish they would have sent the parent(s) in after the kid instead!! (...just sayin')

"I think that the enclosure should probably be made child proof"
Absolutely!!

"Reason mother is getting death threats: child climbed 3' barrier after multiple warnings..."
3"? SERIOUSLY?? Whatever happened to the saying that the definition of a 2-year-old was any kid with a reach of 10'? A 3-year-old? The blame lies in the zoo not having taken proper precautions. There is an all-but-invisible netting that could have been used to prevent anyone from going over the barrier without overly obstructing the view of the held-in-captivity wild animals. As for the "controlling our kids" or "only rewarding good behavior" comments....I'm not gonna touch those! I agree...so strongly that to go into that, I might as well talk politics, cause that's what it is! (MULTIPLE Mods in this thread = a very well-behaved kcm) ;D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as has been said many times on tnet with different things that happened over the years.
We only saw what the Camera Showed.
the rest is hearsay and Personal opinions

beep beep dig

Aug 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as has been said many times on tnet with different things that happened over the years.
We only saw what the Camera Showed.
the rest is hearsay and Personal opinions

what we know for a fact is that in 38 years not one other human being has fallen into the Gorilla exhibit at the Cincinnati Zoo.

do you realize how many millions, if not billions of small children have been at this zoo in nearly four decades?

the mother is without question 100% responsible. unfortunately in her post on Facebook and interviews since, she has not taken any responsibility but instead made religious statements.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well this is the wrong forum for me to say what I think of people who Hide behind religion.

so no comment on that

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I think there's plenty of blame to go around. A zoo, which entices people to come and see the exhibits, should make certain ALL precautions are taken. Likewise, a parent should do everything "possible" to make sure their children are safe. Notice I did not use the word "reasonable" - "reasonable" is not enough.

On the other side of the coin, beep beep is correct - the zoo has a very good record.

I know zoos have to try and find a happy medium when it comes to safety vs. "the experience", but still, in my mind, there should have been NO WAY that kid (or any other) could have gotten into the restricted area.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what if the kid was so used to Petting zoos & it was the very first time he was around real
semi wild Animals. at a young age like that he may have been
more brainwashed to trust animals then anyone could have expected.

Children should not trust Animals so much that he wanted to go play with a gorilla that much..

in that sense I do blame the Parents for not teaching him
that animals don't have reason and understanding.
plus even a kitten can have rabies

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread