I always knew I was a pseudo-veteran

GarageSaleKing

Sep 12, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I served my six by two enlistment in the National Guard. I was in the National Guard for six years and the other 2 years were inactive. I was never activated. I always felt like I was a pseudo-veteran, because I qualify for some some benefits, such as the home loan, but not for others, such as the VA. My MOS was 11B but since I never fought in combat, I kind of felt like I didn't measure up to those who did. So, sometimes, I would stand in public when they asked veterans to stand and sometimes I would not. Well, I was buying a new car and I wanted to get 500 bucks off from the manufacturer for being a veteran. I couldn't find a DD214 so I went to the local county VA office. I asked him if I indeed was a pseudo-veteran, which he replied I kind of was, but that I would probably qualify for the $500 off a new car. He said he was glad I was coming in for the $500 manufacturers rebate, because he couldn't help me out for most other things. In the end, I did get the $500 off a new car, and found out I was a pseudo-veteran. Any thoughts.:icon_king:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You don't need to have "fought in combat" to be a vet. I served six years in an Air Force hospital in the OR as a medic doing triage of Nam vets. I consider myself as much a vet as those who 'fought in combat'. While I never faced the guns of the opposition, I did face the consequences of what bullets and other lethal agents inflicted on these combat vets. We were all brothers, though we fought in different arenas.
In my eyes, GSK, you are a vet; you volunteered and stood ready for years to actively defend the freedoms we continue to enjoy.
Don.......

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The willingness to fight for your country then signing up, not knowing if you would face combat or not makes you worthy to be called a vet. IMO

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was drafted WHILE I was doing my first tour of duty in Vietnam. I ended up doing 2 tours and served in-country during both tours.
I mention that because there are some,, ( including veterans), who will dissmiss a veteran's Vietnam Service based on WHERE they served in Vietnam. This ain't Chicago we're talking about. Although certain neighborhoods in Chicago have very high shooting/kill numbers, all neighborhoods in Vietnam, were classified as Combat Zones. Some people think
that the veterans who served aboard ships in
The Tonkin Gulf were pretty much out of harm's way.
Tell that to the families of the 134 sailors who died on board the USS Forrestal.
When you serve in a combat zone, no matter where you serve in that combat zone,, you are in harm's way.
Eventually the draft was done away with. Today we have an all volunteer military. Anyone who signs up today, , must know that they could be activated and ordered into a combat assignment.
New York State has allowed combat veterans to buy back up to 3 years of pension credit service. As a result of that State Legislature, I was able to add 3 years to my Civil Service Pension. I am very grateful for this benefit. Until recently, only veterans who served during times of conflict were allowed to apply for this benefit. That policy has since been changed and the benefit is now open to all veterans, regardless of the time of their enlistment.
The point I'm making is that when I was sworn into the military, I had no idea of where I would be assigned. The same was true when you signed up.
The same is true with the enlisted personnel being sworn in today. The common bonds we share is the fact that we enlisted, served, and were awarded an
Honorable Discharge.
That,, makes you a Veteran. Thank you for your service.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you got a DD214, you are a vet.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012