Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree15Likes
  • 7 Post By Terry Soloman
  • 1 Post By toddbbq
  • 1 Post By lookingharder
  • 3 Post By Loco-Digger
  • 1 Post By pepperj
  • 1 Post By pepperj
  • 1 Post By jeff-gordon

Thread: Combat vs Driving to Work - Which is More Dangerous?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Make America Great Again!

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Tesoro Cult Member - Mojave; ; Lobo Super Traq; - Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600
    15575 times
    Metal Detecting

Combat vs Driving to Work - Which is More Dangerous?

The road is dangerous. Your enemy is watching you, waiting for your slightest mistake - for that one moment you become complacent or distracted as you move through the battlefield. Your life is in jeopardy, with very real life and death consequences. Are you in Iraq? Afghanistan? No. You are in your family car on the way to the grocery store for a carton of milk.

As a combat veteran, I think about a lot of stupid stuff when I'm driving around town, and I SEE a lot of stupid, life-threatening, stuff. A lot of drivers are simply in denial when it comes to motor vehicle accident statistics. They drive about town with a cell phone or super-sized drink in one hand, and the wheel of their car in the other. Other drivers rationalize the danger putting on their makeup in the rearview mirror or, rocking out to music from an audio system more suited to a small concert hall.

Statistically, you are more likely to be killed or injured in your family car, than soldiers who are on combat duty in Iraq, or Afghanistan. Are you shocked? You shouldn’t be. An average of 40,000 Americans die on our city streets and national highways every year. Hundreds-of-thousands more are paralyzed, crippled, brain damaged, maimed and injured.

If you are not taking your daily drive to work as seriously as a combat soldier going out on patrol in Afghanistan, then your chances of being killed or wounded are very high, and very real. Think about that the next time you “gear up” for a drive to the supermarket. - Terry

us
    Todd In Lutz FL

Apr 2014
    Lutz FL
    Equinox 800 & 600 "Pre-ordered, ATPro, CTX 3030 with Coiltek 14x9 coil T-Rex scoop
    337 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I am at it every afternoon Mon - Fri. as I do battle with everyone on I-4 West to I-75 N. Lakeland FL to Wesley Chapel FL
    Terry Soloman likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2015
    Virginia
    Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
    630 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    That's why I drive a tank, a F250 4x4 crew cab if and when I have to go somewhere. It seems the smaller the car the dumber the driver.

Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & Fisher F2 (loaner) Have had a TC 1023, Fisher F4, Whites Classic ID II, BH LRP, Tesoro Lobo, F70, F75 SE, & XP Deus.
    15150 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Just wait until all cars will be autonomous. One hacker could wipe out hundreds if not thousands at a time.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    10930 times
    Relic Hunting
    Brother always said "I want 6 feet of hood between me and the next bumper".

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    10930 times
    Relic Hunting
    Ever drive in Venice Fl at dinner time, that's like taking a real gamble on the roads, streets, parking lots. Big American made cars and old-over the time expired drivers.
    Always remember going down a one way in a parking lot. This tank of a car was heading right for me, old lady waving the blue&white handicap sign in the window as her husband was coming towards me.
    I stopped and bursted out laughing and backed up yielding to the nut cases.

Charter Member
    SITE BRAVO DETAINEE

Dec 2012
    9081 times
    Metal Detecting
    I see too many times a driver (mostly females) looking down while driving. obviously having a sudden need to check a text
    WHAT'S WRONG WITH BEING A SNOWFLAKE? SNOWFLAKES MAKE THE WORLD PRETTIER

us
    Been there...Dug that

Mar 2015
    Northern Illinois
    MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS, White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
    584 times
    Metal Detecting
    Out where I am, I can sometimes see straight ahead for a mile or more and ditto in the rearview mirror...and not see vehicle one. I'm STILL driving both hands on the wheel and head swiveling tho. Old habits die hard I guess. I handled more than 30 fatal 10-50s during my career, including multis, and I swore I'd never end up as a statistic. 😠
    "There's GOLD in them thar hills! Well...at least a coupla nice Mercs."

Aug 2016
    MI
    ETRAC
    1314 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I'm amazed at how many people are either "out of blinker fluid" or "didn't order the blinker option". I worked with a guy years ago that got so tried of tailgaters that he bought an old station wagon and slammed on the brakes whenever he had somebody tailgating him. I don't recommend this method because as soon as they get their next car, they're backtailgating again.

Charter Member
    us
    Bob

Jan 2018
    Central Massachusetts
    Garrett AT pro
    175 times
    Relic Hunting
    I worked as EMS in Boston, he is so right, I’ve seen so hairy accidents, even on low speed City streets.

us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    811 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by lookingharder View Post
    That's why I drive a tank, a F250 4x4 crew cab if and when I have to go somewhere. It seems the smaller the car the dumber the driver.
    A tank would be nice to have now and then, but I find myself longing for a .50 Caliber mounted on my hood ( for sporting purposes only ). For those who have a disregard for others'
    safety. W.C. Fields, "Get 'em, my dear!"

"You pretend to pay us, we pretend to work." --- Former Soviet Citizen

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links