Combat vs Driving to Work - Which is More Dangerous?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The road is dangerous. Your enemy is watching you, waiting for your slightest mistake - for that one moment you become complacent or distracted as you move through the battlefield. Your life is in jeopardy, with very real life and death consequences. Are you in Iraq? Afghanistan? No. You are in your family car on the way to the grocery store for a carton of milk.

As a combat veteran, I think about a lot of stupid stuff when I'm driving around town, and I SEE a lot of stupid, life-threatening, stuff. A lot of drivers are simply in denial when it comes to motor vehicle accident statistics. They drive about town with a cell phone or super-sized drink in one hand, and the wheel of their car in the other. Other drivers rationalize the danger putting on their makeup in the rearview mirror or, rocking out to music from an audio system more suited to a small concert hall.

Statistically, you are more likely to be killed or injured in your family car, than soldiers who are on combat duty in Iraq, or Afghanistan. Are you shocked? You shouldn’t be. An average of 40,000 Americans die on our city streets and national highways every year. Hundreds-of-thousands more are paralyzed, crippled, brain damaged, maimed and injured.

If you are not taking your daily drive to work as seriously as a combat soldier going out on patrol in Afghanistan, then your chances of being killed or wounded are very high, and very real. Think about that the next time you “gear up” for a drive to the supermarket. - Terry :skullflag:

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am at it every afternoon Mon - Fri. as I do battle with everyone on I-4 West to I-75 N. Lakeland FL to Wesley Chapel FL

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I drive a tank, a F250 4x4 crew cab if and when I have to go somewhere. It seems the smaller the car the dumber the driver.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just wait until all cars will be autonomous. One hacker could wipe out hundreds if not thousands at a time.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Brother always said "I want 6 feet of hood between me and the next bumper".:notworthy:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ever drive in Venice Fl at dinner time, that's like taking a real gamble on the roads, streets, parking lots. Big American made cars and old-over the time expired drivers.
Always remember going down a one way in a parking lot. This tank of a car was heading right for me, old lady waving the blue&white handicap sign in the window as her husband was coming towards me.
I stopped and bursted out laughing and backed up yielding to the nut cases.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see too many times a driver (mostly females) looking down while driving. obviously having a sudden need to check a text

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Out where I am, I can sometimes see straight ahead for a mile or more and ditto in the rearview mirror...and not see vehicle one. I'm STILL driving both hands on the wheel and head swiveling tho. Old habits die hard I guess. I handled more than 30 fatal 10-50s during my career, including multis, and I swore I'd never end up as a statistic. 😠

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm amazed at how many people are either "out of blinker fluid" or "didn't order the blinker option". I worked with a guy years ago that got so tried of tailgaters that he bought an old station wagon and slammed on the brakes whenever he had somebody tailgating him. I don't recommend this method because as soon as they get their next car, they're backtailgating again.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I worked as EMS in Boston, he is so right, I’ve seen so hairy accidents, even on low speed City streets.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's why I drive a tank, a F250 4x4 crew cab if and when I have to go somewhere. It seems the smaller the car the dumber the driver.

A tank would be nice to have now and then, but I find myself longing for a .50 Caliber mounted on my hood ( for sporting purposes only ). For those who have a disregard for others'
safety. W.C. Fields, "Get 'em, my dear!"

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
hum combat vs driving to work --in many places the way todays folks drive --its often one in the same basically -when your dodging road raged --late for work --speeding cell phone talking morons (both male and female and young and older ones as well)

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan has decided to change some intersections into "Round-a-Bouts" or "Traffic Circles". I was considering putting up some grand stands for opening day just to watch the fun. This particular area has three interconnected traffic circles that are linked. Twice my wife had a car coming at her from the wrong direction. The city has finally shut these traffic circles down to hopefully make some modifications to reduce the number of accidents. Seems the biggest problem people have is once they get in the circles, they change lanes and hit the cars next to them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread