Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Tpmetal
  • 2 Post By DeepseekerADS
  • 3 Post By Ammoman
  • 1 Post By BC1969
  • 1 Post By A2coins

Thread: What do you think about therapy/counseling (inspired from the AA post)

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2014
    48 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

What do you think about therapy/counseling (inspired from the AA post)

just wondering. will you/have you done to counseling individually, with your spouse, as a family or in a group? what type of therapy was that and did it help?

Nov 2017
    7 times
    I have not tried any counseling yet. However, I only have read some good benefits to an individual's views about problems and issues of life.

Jun 2016
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by claypile View Post
    just wondering. will you/have you done to counseling individually, with your spouse, as a family or in a group? what type of therapy was that and did it help?
    My husband and I did a bit of online couple counseling and it helps us to understand each other more. It even strengthens our relationship.

Mar 2014
    48 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlene Ditzler View Post
    My husband and I did a bit of online couple counseling and it helps us to understand each other more. It even strengthens our relationship.
    That's great to know, Charlene. I was asking because me and my spouse are going through a rough patch ATM, but splitting up is the last option, so we're thinking of getting online couples counseling. Do you think ReGain is a good place for that?

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    231 times
    Prospecting
    My wife and I do DivorceCare so we are councilors of sorts, but more of working with people dealing with the pain of divorce. Obviously we teach it because we have been through it.

My suggestion is to find a good church, BUT probably not seek the counseling of the Pastor there. Pastor's make HORRIBLE councilors in my opinion because they see everything as black and white, and have a hard time relating to people in our vastly different circumstances. The Deacons or Elders of the church often make great councilors or know of ones to go to.

Myself, I have used two different councilors because of some hard knocks lately;

Getting cancer
    Being unable to farm anymore
    Having a logger steal wood off my woodlot
    Selling off my farm equipment
    Selling my flock of sheep
    Losing a child

It was a tough year. But one councilor just wanted to pass everything off as being no big deal, as that is how they deal with people. They try to minimize the problem so that it does not seem so big, but sometimes problems are big. The other councilor; we just reached an impasse because she is obligated by law to report certain conversations, and I was not going to say anything for fear of being reported. With gun restrictions being rampant now, and being a farmer who is required to own and possess guns in order to farm, I just could not have that. So it was quite a few minutes of just staring at one another. That was kind of silly.

My suggestion is to find a good church, then quietly confide in a few trustworthy people that you are struggling a bit. I am sure you will get some sound advice.

I will be sure to pray for you as well. Best wishes during this rough patch.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    4134 times
    my counseling is going out and digging 1000 holes. I realize that won't help your situation with the wife though....and is probably why I am still single as well lol
    Ammoman and A2coins like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    16401 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    During my divorce years (she met another fellow and they fought dirty) I was court mandated to attend counseling with a shrink.

When I first met him he was very obviously hating me...

A year later he recommended to the court that I take custody of my kids. Just be sincerely honest and forthcoming. Make a beautiful world around you and throw away those hates and frustrations.
    BC1969 and A2coins like this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2015
    NC
    Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre, Nokta Pin pointer.
    3805 times
    13 years ago my wife and i were on the brink of separating. She had her issues with me and i had mine with her. We went to counseling and by the fourth session we were both ready to throw in the towel. It was at that point that we both agreed that counseling was doing us more harm than good! We worked it out on our own.
    What are my thoughts? If you want to dredge up the past and relive crap that was settled long ago then go to counseling.
    BC1969, jdsly and A2coins like this.
    Dig till you drop!

us
    Sep 2013
    Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
    5088 times
    Ugh. My wife and I had a really rough patch once too.
    We tried counseling too.
    What we found was difficult in hindsight was each counselor wasn't exactly neutral, in that their own gender would play into what was said.
    If a male counselor, he would sway towards myself and when we tried a female counselor, she was almost outright hateful towards me.
    We worked it out with our church pastor.
    I just realized that this post is a lil older.
    I hope and pray that everyone on this thread has found peace within their lives and relationships.

Mike.
    Last edited by BC1969; Mar 06, 2019 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Spelling.
    A2coins likes this.
    "There’s nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer”
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."
    Mark Twain

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

life is pain... When you let it be.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    20331 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Look forward not backwards depends which way your facing if you want to go forward The srenity prayer is so spot on
    BC1969 likes this.
    Still Available ​Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links