pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just a thought in this ever changing real world we all are living in.

It seems to be a real sense of wanting to band together in discussion about what we should do.

Yet it always goes down the same road it seems-the road of left/right, one's right, and it turns into a political non-sense.

Result: Locked thread

Just a thought: It doesn't take a person long to figure out what members go down this road every time it seems.

Another thought: Why?

Final thought: It's fine time for a little baseball logic: Need the umps to step up. Strike 3-your out!
(Instead we read this overly repeated reply "Take it to the political forum")

Sounds like a parent telling the brat not to do something all the time-time to grow up.

troutbum

Sep 14, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXt 505, Tesoro Sand shark, Whites coinmaster pro. Tesoro Compadre.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a point. Because of both parties over a long haul of years, they and we have lost the art of debate. The public has gotten even worse in debating. You don't have to belong to a party to want human rights, law and order, equil justice for all. Your right as an American is to live in peace and safty for you and your children. Think of just these things when you vote. I was a life long Dem, now I'm a Rep. I still like debate with out arrguing. But I do get upset when socializim or communizim raise there head. Vote with your brain, not with your heart. Hope it helped.:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is simple, per our rules, politics belongs in our politics forum.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another thought: Why?

Ya know Pepper, I've finally come to accept that, in life, some things just are
the way they are. If a person pushes in one direction, there is always someone
there pushing back the other way with equal or greater force.

It just simply "is", and speaking for myself, I've chosen not to waste
another minute of my life arguing over what will become completely
irrelevant in time.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems simple to me. This is a website about metal detecting, gold panning, collecting all kinds of stuff and finding treasure.

There is a spot for political comments. The owners want us to use that spot. Simple. There doesn't have to be a political forum here at all. After all, its a treasure hunting website.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is simple, per our rules, politics belongs in our politics forum.

True-and I wouldn't want the moderator pleasure.

Yet can I ask one question in all do respect: How many times have you stated that very statement and locked a thread?

Yet it goes on and on and on.

Now here's my other thought:

Albert Einstein saying: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results."

Thought: Is it insane to believe that things will actually change/stop?

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Seems simple to me. This is a website about metal detecting, gold panning, collecting all kinds of stuff and finding treasure.

There is a spot for political comments. The owners want us to use that spot. Simple. There doesn't have to be a political forum here at all. After all, its a treasure hunting website.

Yes Smokey so true-it does seem simple-but it seems so hard.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I have membership in several forums that strictly enforce rules against posting anything that is not directly related to the purposes of that forum. Global moderators on most have full authority to suspend or ban any member for violation of any rule.

The established rules regarding politics serve a very useful purpose. It forces a discussion to stay on topic. Treasurenet, unlike many forums I frequent, has a section reserved for politics. Members who notice their conversation moving toward politics should either adjust back to topic, or move their conversation to the appropriate section of the forum that the administrators have so graciously added years ago. Those who either will not or can not follow the rules of the forum should receive appropriate consequences. The few times I have violated rules have resulted in just that. Consequences a moderator believed appropriate.

Time for more coffee.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just have to remember to post in the correct thread.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True-and I wouldn't want the moderator pleasure.

Yet can I ask one question in all do respect: How many times have you stated that very statement and locked a thread?

Yet it goes on and on and on.

Now here's my other thought:

Albert Einstein saying: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results."

Thought: Is it insane to believe that things will actually change/stop?

No problem asking a question.

When political comments continue after warning or request to end it, post or thread can be locked, moved or deleated or timeout is issued. Last thing mods want is to issue long timeouts or bans but if pushed will do so. Sometimes members dont realize a thread that is political isnt in the politics forums for what ever reason, accidents do happen.

If a member who is a charter member starts political thread it is moved to politics forum, if non CM starts political thread it is locked and or moved to quarantine forum that only mods and admins can see. When post or thread is deleted, it is still there, just not visible to anyone but mods and admins, that is why post numbers of a thread are different for mods than what members see, we see all posts and they are still numbered.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Many years back I was an Admin on several very active medical marijuana
patient websites, and from experience I know that religious and political debate
will cause a site to lose members, and not just those banned for being an asshat.

For many/most folks, their political and religious beliefs are personal, and
a boundary to be defended at all costs. In a discussion forum, this creates
groups of politically/religiously like minded people. The debate then becomes
an "us vs. them" situation.

Feelings and friendships get damaged, and many members are less likely to
remain active. New, or prospective new members don't want to hang around
a site in a state of discontent, and where your political and/or religious beliefs
are frequently questioned.

To top it all off, nobody is ever going to change their mind on either subject
based on a heated internet discussion.

In the end, everybody loses, and no one benefits from all the disruption.

My two centavos worth... twocents-1.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No problem asking a question.

When political comments continue after warning or request to end it, post or thread can be locked, moved or deleated or timeout is issued. Last thing mods want is to issue long timeouts or bans but if pushed will do so. Sometimes members dont realize a thread that is political isnt in the politics forums for what ever reason, accidents do happen.

If a member who is a charter member starts political thread it is moved to politics forum, if non CM starts political thread it is locked and or moved to quarantine forum that only mods and admins can see. When post or thread is deleted, it is still there, just not visible to anyone but mods and admins, that is why post numbers of a thread are different for mods than what members see, we see all posts and they are still numbered.

Thank you for your explanation.

It seems that some just go ahead with this driven agenda almost to have the message out there.
Yes many times (gets tiring) you post the zip it/move it post.
Just thinking here and the thought is. "The same ones do this time after time"
So the Mod. steps up throws the lock on.

Thought: A "Pattern" is something that done repeatedly to create one-yet here it's allowed.

Same goes for some use rejigging of a name to use it then in delivering a message. Yet it's allowed-Now the thought kicks in once again: It's allowed because the controllers and the rejiggering poster are of like minded.

Thought: Oh it's not directed at a TN member-so it falls in the "...." play book.

Yet it's political statement-directly-simply.

Thought: It's just like everything in life there's 2 set rules.

Thought: A little dirt in the water-no problem-but over time it becomes muddy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread