Is this Confederate or Union Navy?

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm posting this for my hunting partner Confederate 1. He found this one today at one of our spots we like to frequent. There has been some 3 ringers pulled from the area and I dug a navy button myself. He dug this one about 3 or 4 inches down. He got it home and cleaned it with a dry toothbrush. We want to know from you pro's out there is this a rare Confederate Navy button..
http://www.yankeerebelantiques.com/servlet/the-106/Civilwar-Navy-Button-Confederate/Detail

The reverse is rusted and can't get a backmark off of it, but It looks just like the above button. We will be happy either way. Just want you button boys out there to let us know. Thanks from Confederate 1 and zaxfire69 in advance..
IMG_2091.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U

umrgolf

I am no button "expert", but I have dug a few buttons with this design and they've all been federal issue buttons as far as I knew. The link you posted of a rare confederate navy button would be the first confederate navy button I've seen in any type of condition for less than $500-600.. I'm assuming they're saying it's confederate because of the london backmark :dontknow: Anyway, if you look on several sites under confederate Navy, nowhere do you see that button so that seems very odd to me. Again, I'm no expert and very well could be wrong so somebody with a button book will have to confirm whether or not that's the case.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank UMR...Man there are so many pictures of buttons out there. You know your buttons. We thank you. :thumbsup:

U

umrgolf

zaxfire69 said:
Thank UMR...Man there are so many pictures of buttons out there. You know your buttons. We thank you. :thumbsup:

This is the button in your link

"Civil War coat-size Navy button. It is often referred to as a NA 112, Navy 2-piece with border and circle of rope. The eagle is resting on a horizontal anchor, three cannon balls below, with 13 stars encircling, on a lined field. The eagle is facing left and the upper fluke of the anchor is behind the left wing….signifying Civil War era. The face of the button is simply beautiful….about 98% of the original gold gilt still remains, only having a few dark spots on the high points. The outer rim has some wear from use. On the back of the button is “J & Co LONDON” and is complete with the stand up shank. There is a little mystery involved with this rare backmark. Some think that this button could have been made in America, rather than in England. Steele & Johnson (Waterbury, CT), sometimes incorporated the word “LONDON” into their backmarks to imply British quality rather than actual geographic location. But stated in McGuinn & Bazelon, it is thought that the button is indeed British, and the “J” in the backmark stands for “Jennens”. This would open it up for the possibility of being purchased by the Confederacy. The verbal history of this button is that it came off of a Confederate officer’s coat in the Hampton, Virginia area. The coat was found with several buttons remaining…..this being one of those buttons. However, I cannot substantiate this, but pass it along as a point of interest. This is truly a great piece and the backmark is extremely rare, so take advantage to add a rare button to your Civil War collection. (ON HOLD) "

More or less saying that the confederate label is an opinion rather than fact> therefore the price that we see here for an "extremely rare" backmark.. had this been a no doubt confederate button it would be in the thousands

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is indeed a Civil War style UNION Navy button...and its style is STILL in use today as well..

There's nothing Confederate about that button :wink: If you read CLOSELY they are "Claiming" that it is quote on quote "Confederate" ONLY because it was rumored to have been worn by a Confederate Officer and subsequently fell off his jacket....MANY upon MANY Confederate Officers and Soldiers used Federal aka Yankee issue buttons on their own Confederate Uniforms...However,
there is nothing Confederate about the design as stated above, whether it was produced by Steele and Johnson or in London (my money is in London) is no matter it is without a doubt a Union Navy Button...
We'd need to know what the backmark is on yours to determine if its Civil War era or not :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :wink: Still a nice save, Congrats :icon_thumleft: :wink:

P.S.
It could HAVE been worn by a Confederate Officer...but to ask that much for this regular U.S. Navy button without knowing the EXACT PROVENANCE would be Folly indeed. You would need to have some hard evidence linking it with the said "Confederate Officer" before demanding such a price as the one the man is asking on the relic site :wink:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one in the link is a brass back, you say that this one is rusted on the reverse (can we see it?). Which to me would indicate a post-CW date, unless you know of any steel back types from this period.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking button, no matter what. :icon_thumright:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
From your links:
The beak of eagle on the "union" button is above the star to it's left.
On the "confederate" button the beak is adjacent to the star.
Not a lot of help but may help when trying to match the maker to your button.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
An iron back usually indicates a modern blazer button.
:icon_thumright: I think at the least post 1900.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. I will take another pic of the back of the button when I get home from work Sunday. I found a Navy button from the same field. I also have dug some 3 ringers from the same area he found this button. This area has Civil war and WW1 era relics.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
If it has an iron back I would say it's post 1900. Also on most civil war period navies the eagles chest isnt raised as high as the one on your button

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CRUSADER said:
The one in the link is a brass back, you say that this one is rusted on the reverse (can we see it?). Which to me would indicate a post-CW date, unless you know of any steel back types from this period.
Exactly! We need to see the back please

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
4-H said:
CRUSADER said:
Exactly! We need to see the back please
I'm no expert but, I have found my share of "modern, Civilian coat buttons"
And I have to say it's leaning that way.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow this is so cool. Its the old hippie uniform button lol. :o
SouthJerseyJim actually unburied a complete coat uniform with these interesting unknown mystery buttons.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,209855.msg1503778.html#msg1503778

I dont know how I missed this one but it stumped us for the longest time. :icon_scratch:
Sorry its not the so-called rare Confederate button and not the Union Navy either.
We can call it the hippie uniform button lol.
It resembles the CW eagle BUT the anchor flute in front of the wing makes it post CW.
(Note my Union Navy buttons bottom)
The rusted out iron back most likely rules out any official Navy worth its salt.
My best guess is a very interesting old civilian.
Possibly a TOC reunion replacement button for old veterans.
Its still not found in any military button book. :icon_scratch:
I think this is quite interesting and still leaves some unanswered questions.

Attachments

• P5140793.jpg
    P5140793.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 701
  • button union navy CW.JPG
    button union navy CW.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 891
  • button eagle unknown zaxfire69.jpg
    button eagle unknown zaxfire69.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 624
OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will sure tell him about the Hippie button. :tongue3: :laughing9: I bet he gets a kick out of that. :thumbsup:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
zaxfire69 said:
I will sure tell him about the Hippie button. :tongue3: :laughing9: I bet he gets a kick out of that. :thumbsup:
Its still open for debate but since its not found in any military book, has rusted back, anchor flute etc. our conclusion was a hippie jacket lol. Read this quote from notgittinenny:

Looks like one of the coats that were popular in the 1970's worn by hippies and other people who thought they were cool. I went with my brother in the early '70's to the local Army-Surplus stores to buy one of these Pea-Coats, they were made of wool and had the original buttons on them.......NGE http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,209855.msg1506026.html#msg1506026

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions