NEW SITES: CIVIL WAR NAVY TONGUE AND Ultra Rare Late War EUREKA Shell Sabot!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys, I'm back with my latest finds from my last outings! I got out last week after a week of no digging and was finally free to spend a few hours digging til my hearts content. It started out slow :-\ at a couple reserve sites that always produce a few relics but it was slow......just a couple of bullets. Went to scout a new site that ended up being a bust, nothing much there....then I ended the day at a new site that I've had my eye on that finally got cleared. I had had some good luck in the adjoining property with a lot of Civil War Military buttons, a bunch of bullets and coins....When I first got to this new spot I wasn't holding my breath but I had a feeling there would be a few Civil War relics in there....the first couple of signals were can slaw and then a button signal! Out popped an Eagle button, then a few minutes later another but then followed by 3 cans :/ Then I got another very strong, loud signal and I thought to myself "well mine as well dig this can up too so that I can clear out the trash". I popped the plug and scooped out some dirt, then took another scoop and was about to take a third when I quickly glanced to my dirt pile to see if the target had popped out yet and there, laying UPSIDE DOWN, was a TONGUE to a tongue and wreath buckle!! My adrenaline was going at this point because I didn't know what kind it was, so I held my breath and flipped it over and gingerly removed some dirt away. That always-hoping "C.S." didn't pop out but a beautiful BIG eagle did! Although it wasn't a C.S., it was another hard to find Tongue: watch it below. Other than a bend to it, it is complete and intact! *I've actually already worked my magic on it and straightened it for the display case. :)

ALSO, I found an artillery sabot that was unlike any I've seen or dug over the years but knew it had to be Civil War by the make and all the Civil War relics that I had dug from this site. When I got home I contacted a friend I know, Jack Melton, who runs an artillery site as I had a suspicion it was a rare find. Well after a couple of hours he calls me back and asks if he can forward my number to a renowned artillery expert and author, Mr. John D. Bartleson, Jr. He said that it was none other than a late war (1864 field tested by Washington Artillery) Eureka Sabot and that in his 50 plus years he knows of only one other ever being recovered (that one documented in a book on CW artillery) and of the two, mine was in much better shape and went on to say about my attached photos of the Eureka Sabot that "The attached early model is pretty rare. On a scale of 1 - 10, a ten being rarest, it is a 10." In fact, he has asked that I send some photos so that he can sketch it for an upcoming book as it is the best example of a Eureka Sabot he has seen....I knew it was rare when I dug it, but not quite that rare.

Finally, I teamed up with a friend of mine Wes, and we went and dug a new field site and we ended up digging some Buttons, I got a 1820 Large Cent and he found a very well preserved 1857 Flying Eagle as well so here's the lot thanks for lookin :icon_thumleft::

CIVIL WAR EUREKA SABOT

EXAMPLE OF EUREKA SHELL
FAOiiib12.jpg

IMAG0073ed.jpg

IMAG0071ed.jpg

MDPics 001ed.jpg

MDPics 002ed.jpg

MDPics 023ED.jpg

3 Piece New York Coat and Big Eagle I

MDPics 004.jpg

(Disc/Plow struck...also found a lead weight about 3 feet up cut completely in half by the disc)
MDPics 009.jpg

CIVIL WAR UNION NAVY TONGUE

Uncleaned:
IMAG0076ed.jpg

Cleaned and Straightened:

22043_12_02_12_11_24_47.jpeg

Group Shots:

MDPics 011.jpg

MDPics 012.jpg

MDPics 020ed.jpg

22043_13_02_12_6_01_06.jpeg

Attachments

• Navy Tongue.jpg
    Navy Tongue.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 2,434
Upvote 0

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: NEW SITES: UNION NAVY TONGUE AND Ultra Rare Late War EUREKA Shell Sabot!

Gotta vote BANNER on the tongue Sentinal! CONGRATS!! Hogge

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wowza bud!!!!That is a killer Tongue Man!!!RARE,you are right!!!!You know how I like them.....man,o,man!!!! :thumbsup:

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250

Great finds... Congrats :icon_thumright:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for shooting the vids! Loved em and congrats on some awesome saves.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great job Josh. You've got some cojones bending that tongue back....I would have been sweating bullets :laughing9:

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Another Banner worthy post The Tongue buckle and the Sabot is Great examples of no matter how many relics that have been recovered, the next coil sweep might be a find of a lifetime :notworthy:.

Very Nice, Bill

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice digs!
Tongue is awesome. Congrats.

Palmetto

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hogge said:
Gotta vote BANNER on the tongue Sentinal! CONGRATS!! Hogge

Thanks Hogge buddy :icon_thumleft:

kuger said:
Wowza bud!!!!That is a killer Tongue Man!!!RARE,you are right!!!!You know how I like them.....man,o,man!!!! :thumbsup:

INDEED I do my friend, I knew YOU would like it buddy! :occasion14:

Wldbil said:
Great finds... Congrats :icon_thumright:
:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

birdman said:
Thanks for shooting the vids! Loved em and congrats on some awesome saves.

Thanks Birdman, I like to hear from guys who like the vids, that's the only reason I do them :occasion14:

joeyfresh said:
Great job Josh. You've got some cojones bending that tongue back....I would have been sweating bullets :laughing9:

Hey Joey thanks buddy. :icon_thumleft: :wink: I have special techniques for doing those delicate fixes on plates and other relics that I've been using for years and years, definitely do not want to try it if you don't have the knowledge because you're right, you may do more harm than good.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven & Spartan shovels, Grey Ghost headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Joshmeister,
That Navy tongue is outstanding Dude!!! :hello2: You lucky $oB. ;D
Great post. :thumbsup:
-Dug-

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nova treasure said:
Another Banner worthy post The Tongue buckle and the Sabot is Great examples of no matter how many relics that have been recovered, the next coil sweep might be a find of a lifetime :notworthy:.

Very Nice, Bill

Thanks Bill, you always have something positive to say buddy. Well if I can find the shell to the sabot, which I am presently trying to do, that would defintiely quailify for a "lifetime" find. Thanks again my friend

ModernMiner said:
Joshmeister,
That Navy tongue is outstanding Dude!!! :hello2: You lucky $oB. ;D
Great post. :thumbsup:
-Dug-

Thank you thank you my North Carolina friend, I'm glad you liked the post and hope things are well down there...we will get together this year and do some digging :occasion14:

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Splendidly superb saves Josh! Ill vote for those EXTREMELY rare recoveries. Congrats to you buddy.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Very nice Josh. I agree BANNER on the tongue. Those are some fantastic finds. I will be seeing you next month and hope we find some great relics.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice vids and finds Josh, and that tongue is awesom!. Great looking site you guys are hunting. Keep hammerin' it hard and say hi to Wes for me.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice group of finds Josh! The tongue is a killer relic :headbang:

The sabot is complete and in really good shape considering it came off a fired shell.

I will be looking for you at DIV next month :thumbsup:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

fantastic finds! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

U

umrgolf

That's a nice tongue, surprised that you and I never came across a plate like that in 2010 :laughing7: I know there are a few plates there to dig (you've proved that in the last year) I remember you told me that sabot is 1 of a handful known and the nicest one at that. :o Congrats on saving some very nice relics :headbang: I'll give you a banner vote :sunny:

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

wow! awesome stuff dude! that place will keep you busy for years to come.perfect swinging conditions! I'd love to hunt a field like that!
keep at it bro! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Getty said:
Splendidly superb saves Josh! Ill vote for those EXTREMELY rare recoveries. Congrats to you buddy.

Thanks Roger for your support my friend, get that injury healed up quick buddy! :occasion14: :icon_thumleft: :wink:

treasurehound said:
Very nice Josh. I agree BANNER on the tongue. Those are some fantastic finds. I will be seeing you next month and hope we find some great relics.

Thanks Randy my friend! I look forward to diggin' some sweet relics with ya up there in Culpeper next month! :occasion14:

Bill D. (VA) said:
Nice vids and finds Josh, and that tongue is awesom!. Great looking site you guys are hunting. Keep hammerin' it hard and say hi to Wes for me.
Thank you Bill, yeah it is a beautiful area surely, we'll keep on truckin and I'll make sure to say hello for you :occasion14:

Steve in PA said:
Nice group of finds Josh! The tongue is a killer relic :headbang:

The sabot is complete and in really good shape considering it came off a fired shell.

I will be looking for you at DIV next month :thumbsup:
Good eyes Steve and thanks much buddy. The first thing I noticed after it being such an unfamiliar sabot, was that it had 'taken the rifling' and had been fired. You can clearly see from the overhead shot of it that it has the perfect pentagonal shape to it. I'll look for you next month up at DIV, I think the second hunt is going to be real productive.

umrgolf said:
That's a nice tongue, surprised that you and I never came across a plate like that in 2010 :laughing7: I know there are a few plates there to dig (you've proved that in the last year) I remember you told me that sabot is 1 of a handful known and the nicest one at that. :o Congrats on saving some very nice relics :headbang: I'll give you a banner vote :sunny:
I know, we dug pretty much everything BUT a plate that summer ;D :dontknow: But like you said, they were there, just spread out....you did get that half of a U.S. Plate at the Button Field so that was something. Thanks brutha for the thumbs up, I sure appreciate it man and like I said earlier, hopefully we can get back together for some diggin this coming spring :occasion14: :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread