Goats head on the beach!You GOTTA see this!Warning- Pic may be graphic to some!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goat's head on the beach!You GOTTA see this!Warning- Pic may be graphic to some!

I went detecting this morning at Ft.Lauderdale on the beach. I didn't find anything but a bunch of clad,the typical 200 bottlecaps and pulltabs and one small gold earring that I spyed by eye. However,lying on the beach,just off the surf line was a goat's head. This thing still had a tag in it's ear. What the heck is something like this doing on the beach? I might add that several weeks earlier down the road a piece at another beach, one morning at sunrise I saw a group of Haitians having some kind of ritual or Baptism or something, right at the water's edge.I also found many pieces of used candles lying near where they were doing whatever it was they were doing. I got 2 questions,the first is, do you think this goat was used in some sort of Voodoo or Santeria ritual? The second question is- Can I track down this goat's owner by the ID tag that is posted here?

Attachments

• goat head lauderdale.jpg
    goat head lauderdale.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 2,717
Upvote 0

Southcacalaky

Silver Member
Oct 2, 2005
Summerville, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro "Eldorado", Whites "Beach Hunter ID",
Re: Goat's head on the beach!You GOTTA see this!Warning- Pic may be graphic to some!

Yes you can probably track it down by the tag number, Art...

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Goat's head on the beach!You GOTTA see this!Warning- Pic may be graphic to some!

Here's a close-up of the tag-

Attachments

• goat tag.jpg
    goat tag.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 2,238

Fatboy

Dec 28, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

interesting find ??? :P Id probably contact your local agriculture dept with that tag number. Kinda gory to be left out there like that, thats for sure.

HH

FB

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

YUK!

bogeymcq

Dec 3, 2006
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Presently mental, not metal

:o

Notice the tag states it is UNLAWFUL to remove the tag. . what about the removal of the Goats head ?!?!?? :'(

If you are able to track down the owner. . let us know what develops. . this is a very very curious one indeed

Bogart :D

deadringer

Jan 20, 2004
Lindenhurst, NY

I know in the bronx they sell live goats, chickens etc.. and they are sometimes used in rituals but then they eat them. its really no different than people who have pig pickins and roast whole pigs on the beach, but they should clean up after themselves. Besides, the brains are the best part- theyre missing out.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Re: Goat's head on the beach!You GOTTA see this!Warning- Pic may be graphic to s

Maybe it was just some poor old boy who was trying to get a head...

Still, a thing like that could really get your goat!

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

deadringer said:
I know in the bronx they sell live goats, chickens etc.. and they are sometimes used in rituals but then they eat them. its really no different than people who have pig pickins and roast whole pigs on the beach, but they should clean up after themselves. Besides, the brains are the best part- theyre missing out.
This is Ft.Lauderdale beach,you know former spring break capitol of the world.They don't allow roasts of any kind on the beach.Christ you can barely breath on that beach anymore.That's why it's the "former" spring break capitol. :)
PBK said:
Maybe it was just some poor old boy who was trying to get a head...

Still, a thing like that could really get your goat!
Good one! ;D

bogeymcq said:
:o

Notice the tag states it is UNLAWFUL to remove the tag. . what about the removal of the Goats head ?!?!?? :'(

If you are able to track down the owner. . let us know what develops. . this is a very very curious one indeed

Bogart :D
So far i've found out that it is a flock ID or a scrapie PIN.The GA. stands for Georgia,i've emailed the Georgia state USDA Veterinarian services with the information.I noticed after looking at the photo that there could be a different tag on the opposite side of the ear.If you look at it it looks like a seperate tag,different in appearance,more square then the one pictured.Anybody else see it? I didn't want to touch the nasty looking thing with my bare hands and there wasn't any sticks or tree branches lying around on the beach so,I didn't flip it over. ;D One more puzzler,the Gulfstream flows to the north,how did this thing float in from Ga.? If you look at the neck,it looks like the flesh has rotted or been eaten away,notice the neckbone sticking out.This tells me that it was probably in the water for a while,also the eyeballs were almost popping out of their sockets,or at least the one I could see was,you can't notice it too well from the photo.Isn't this evidence of it being in the water for a while? If you knew this area,you would understand why this is so unusual to find here.Now Miami,might be a different story! :D ;D

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the links gldhtr,already been there though.I've emailed the USDA Vet in Ga..You were posting as I was writing my last reply. :) I'd like to say that i'm not so sure about there being two different tags now though.I think it's just 1/4 turned on the opposite side of his ear.

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505

Maybe it went for a swim and made a short freindship with a shark, which then had an unfortunate falling out.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is one of the more unique finds I have seen on this site! :o

luckysgirl

Jul 26, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Wow....I certainly hope that this is the result of some nature/natural thing
and not an animal sacrifice.....
Poor goat...and gross all at the same time !

MSgtUSAF

Mar 8, 2006
Re: Goat's head on the beach!You GOTTA see this!Warning- Pic may be graphic to s

Possibly related to this practice:

Sun Dec 31, 2:39 PM ET

ANKARA, Turkey - Over a thousand Turks spent the first day of the Muslim feast of Eid al-Adha in emergency wards on Sunday after stabbing themselves or suffering other injuries while sacrificing startled animals.
ADVERTISEMENT

At least 1,413 people — referred to as "amateur butchers" by the Turkish media — were treated at hospitals across the country, most suffering cuts to their hands and legs, the Anatolia news agency reported.

Four people were severely injured, crushed under the weight of large animals that fell on top of them, the agency reported. Another person was hurt when a crane used to lift an animal tumbled onto him, the agency said.

Three other people suffered heart attacks and died while trying to restrain animals, CNN-Turk television reported.

Muslims sacrifice cows, sheep, goats and bulls during the four-day religious holiday, a ritual commemorating the biblical account of God's provision of a ram for Abraham to sacrifice as he was about to slay his son. They share the meat with friends, family and neighbors and give part of it to the poor.

Turkish authorities have introduced fines for those who slaughter animals outside facilities set up by local municipalities, but many Turks ignored the rules and sacrificed animals in their backyards or on roadsides.

MSgt

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max

Don't forget that there are many cultures that eat Goat.
Here in Minnesota I was recently asked by a man from Kenya,
how he and his brothers might be able to find a farm that will sell whole goats
that they could butcher at home. It sounds like a favorite food to them.
There seems to be a growing market here too.

Baaa..aaa..aaa...

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

animated goat.gif BAA!

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've eaten curry goat with rice and beans and fried plantains before.It was just so-so.A little chewy and tough,could of been the way it was pepared though.A friend of mine from Trinidad cooked it.Another friend of ours from Jamaica said he can't cook so well.Goat is popular in both countries.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm Impressed !

This has to be the First Goats Head ever Found while Detecting.

at least it's the First Posted here.

Congrats !

Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread