"Wayne Tail Curler Lucky Pig" and some "What is its"

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
"Wayne Tail Curler Lucky Pig" and some "What is it's"

Got out to an old homestead today which I've hoped would give better results in the last 3 visits but have been disappointed. A coworker who grew up on the land once found a gold coin there which she sold to a man for $35 a few days later (she cannot remember what is was, 40+ years ago). The site once had a general store and a restaurant during the early 1900's but have long since been demolished.

Today more of the same with a few different finds. I just can't seem to hit silver here. I've found wheat cents back to '30 and nickels dating back to '49 but the earliest dime I found is '77. Bit of a hard site to hunt thought, it seems when the buildings were torn down they just bulldozed them into the ground. Lots of junk. On top of that the soil is very soft in many places to the point that when I go to dig, my digging tool sinks to the handle without any effort. Wondering if any heavy coins have just gone out of reach.

Here are the finds today. Can anyone date the token. I believe its a token for a feed company "Wayne's Tail Curler" The token says "Wayne's Tail Curler Lucky Pig" and "He Eats, Grows Fast" on the front and "Wayne Tail Curler" and "Helps make hogs out of Runts" on the back. Looks like the M in Makes has been mistruck.

Also found this round "lead?" marble thing which I'm not sure what it is.

Any thoughts on the two headed nail thingy. The shaft is square and not round.

Lastly, can anyone date the bullet.

Thanks for looking and Cheers.

Attachments

• 11-24 001.jpg
    11-24 001.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 517
  • 11-24 002.jpg
    11-24 002.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 514
  • 11-24 003.jpg
    11-24 003.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 505
  • 11-24 004.jpg
    11-24 004.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 544
  • 11-24 005.jpg
    11-24 005.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 527
  • 11-24 006.jpg
    11-24 006.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 492
Upvote 0

DiggerBug

Oct 28, 2006
Bama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "Wayne Tail Curler Lucky Pig" and some "What is it's"

http://users.pullman.com/fjstevens/tokens/tokens/5140.html
Wayne Tail Curler 26mm, al
pig.jpg
About this token:
Aug. 2006 - one of these sold on eBay for $6 (plus $1.50 shipping)
Bob writes: I have this same token. It's been in my collection since the mid 1960s, or before.
Tom writes: A farmer friend tells me this is an advertising piece for some sort of tonic or vitamin given to runty piglets.
Bonnie writes: Below is a feed sack with a picture of 2 pigs (with curly tails, of course!) and the printing, "TAIL CURLER" at the top and bottom of sack, "100 LBS. NET" near the top, and in the center, "WAYNE TAIL CURLER (FOR EARLY PIG FEEDING)" and "ALLIED MILLS, INC. CHICAGO, ILL. TESTED FOR QUALITY I.Q. (INGREDIENT QUALITY) ALLIED MILLS RESEARCH DIVISION". It was indeed a feed for piglets and the coin was an advertising gimme for farmers.
TailCurler.jpg

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Nice job on the token,Madmardigan ....... and great ID with info Diggerbug!
If your friend pulled a gold coin from that site...then I would think there would be silver....maybe it is going to take a couple more trips.Good Luck!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thats an interesting token :o

HH
-GC

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used

tymcmurray said:
Nice finds
Looks like a musket ball to me.

The ball is quite wider and much heavier than the bullet. not knowing much about guns, would the barrel have been big enough for this?

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used

DiggerBug said:
http://users.pullman.com/fjstevens/tokens/tokens/5140.html
Wayne Tail Curler 26mm, al

About this token:
Aug. 2006 - one of these sold on eBay for $6 (plus $1.50 shipping)
Bob writes: I have this same token. It's been in my collection since the mid 1960s, or before.
Tom writes: A farmer friend tells me this is an advertising piece for some sort of tonic or vitamin given to runty piglets.
Bonnie writes: Below is a feed sack with a picture of 2 pigs (with curly tails, of course!) and the printing, "TAIL CURLER" at the top and bottom of sack, "100 LBS. NET" near the top, and in the center, "WAYNE TAIL CURLER (FOR EARLY PIG FEEDING)" and "ALLIED MILLS, INC. CHICAGO, ILL. TESTED FOR QUALITY I.Q. (INGREDIENT QUALITY) ALLIED MILLS RESEARCH DIVISION". It was indeed a feed for piglets and the coin was an advertising gimme for farmers.

Thanks diggerbug,

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used

gypsyheart said:
Nice job on the token,Madmardigan ....... and great ID with info Diggerbug!
If your friend pulled a gold coin from that site...then I would think there would be silver....maybe it is going to take a couple more trips.Good Luck!

Thanks Gypsyheart,

Yeah not ready to give up on this site yet. Oh and while we were there a neighbor came walking over to see what we had found. I mentioned that we'd like to find the owner of the land next to this property as that was supposedly where the fair was back when. He says" oh thats Shirley, she was trying to call me this morning." Proceeds to call Shirley and we have a great conversation and now we have another site to hunt ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread