Mavericks (Found in Indiana)

Butterfield

Dec 8, 2006
Below are some mavericks I haven't been able to identify. Three of them look dug. All came from Indiana.

Any info would be helpful. Hope everyone's enjoying the holidays!

Mavericks:

Good For / 5¢ / The Spencer / At Bar // 5¢ B 26 8 (info on holder states "Marion Ind". I haven't been able to verify this. It's a very old token)

Good For / 1 / Loaf / F.J.L. (a/i) // (blank) B 22 12s (info on holder states "Connersville, IN Frank James Lipps". I haven't been able to verify this)

Good For / 5¢ / Pat Kiley / At The Bar // 5 WM 25 8 (very old token)

C.E. Fitch / Good For / 1 (inside milk pitcher) / Pint Milk (a/i) // (blank) B 24 R

Mike Kelly / H. Rice / Maker / Dayton, O. (a/i) // Good For / 5 c / At The Bar (a/i) B 22 8

Staff Bros / 5 (a/i) // Staff Bros / 5 (a/i) B 26 8

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
You may be a customer for the forthcoming IN token book...

From Wagaman's 1981 Indiana Trade Tokens:

The Spencer is #M-1530, R-9, ca. 1911 at 4th & Adams in Marion

F.J.L. is not shown in the 1981 book or the current listing - maybe post or PM me a photo and I'll run it by the IN Cataloguer to see if he agrees with the attribution

The book has a Phil Kiley token listed in the index, but not in the main body. There was a Patrick M. Kiley in Marion, IN who was a bar tender in 1880 and a bar keeper in 1900. He had retired by 1910. The current IN listing has a non-maverick from Rog. Kiley in Marion. Again, post or send pics.

I don't find anything on C. E. Fitch or Mike Kelly.

The Staff Bros. one is listed as TAMS (Token & Medal Society) Maverick #11483, but has yet to be attributed.

John in ID

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Butterfield:

You might enjoy this story. It is probably connected to 'your' Mr. Lipps.

"BAKER USES A CORNET TO ANNOUNCE HIS COMING.
A cornet and a young musician may revolutionize the bakery business in Connersville, Ind. A cornet solo played to each housewife customer of the Lipps bakery in announcing the approach of the bakery wagon has caused a large increase in business and a decrease in that of other bakers of the city. Roy N. Lipps, who drives the baker wagon, tired of announcing his coming with the raucous blast of a tin horn, and because he hopes to become a professional cornetist did not wish to take chances of injuring his lip, so far as cornet playing is concerned. Replacing the tin horn with a cornet he called forth the housewives. Getting the women to the bread wagon was formerly difficult, but the cornet has arouse their curiosity until they seldom fail to come to the wagon, and then they seldom fail to purchase. Now that Lipps has been playing tunes the housewives' ears are becoming sensitive to the jarring notes of a bell or the blast of a tin born. An itinerant butcher has declared he will mix vaudeville with business soon, if his customers insist that the notes of his bell are out of tune with the appreciative senses aroused by the Lipps bakery cornetist."

Don......

Source: http://library.stanford.edu/depts/dp/pennies/texts/175.html

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
The 1920 Census shows Frank J. Lipps as a baker in Connersville, but he was also shown in the 1887 Indianapolis City Directory as a baker there and in 1910 was in Guilford Township in Hendricks County - I think that was Danville. The diework on the token can be used to date it better. Often, people had their tokens made as "mavericks" - without the town and state - on purpose because they knew (or at least realized there would be a possibility) that they would move around during their career.
John in ID

OP
OP
B

Butterfield

Dec 8, 2006
Thanks for your help, John. I totally overlooked The Spencer token in the Wagamon book. I've been participating in the unlisted Indiana census, so if it's ok with with you I'll forward the info you found on to the IN Cataloguer. I'm also including links to pics below to the FJL and Pat Riley tokens. Btw, included with this batch was a token attributed to Idaho on Norman's maverick disk: Salmon / Good For / 1 (inside milk pitcher) / Pint Milk (a/i)// (blank) B 25 R. Not sure how it got included with these others.

Thanks Don for the interesting story about Roy Lipps!

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c327/COLLEGEDAZE1/FJLtoken.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c327/COLLEGEDAZE1/kileytoken.jpg

tokensmith

Aug 8, 2007
Patrick Kiley is listed as a saloon in both the 1890 Bradstreet and 1890 IN gazetteer in Marion, IN.

Michael Kelly is listed as a saloon in both the 1890 Bradstreet and 1890 IN gazetteer in Rockville, IN and there is also a listing for Michael Kelly as a saloon in the 1890 Bradstreet in Vincennes, IN.

Lawrence Staff is listed as a saloon in Terre Haute, IN in the 1890 Bradstreet & the 1890 gazetteer while Peter N. Staff is listed as a saloon in Terre Haute in the 1890 Bradstreet. A check of the surrounding years may find them in business together.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
My opinion is the Salmon one is not from Salmon, Idaho, but rather from Mr. Salmon's dairy somewhere else. Over the years there have been way too many "attributions" made on the basis of a word on a token matching a town name somewhere.
John in ID

OP
OP
B

Butterfield

Dec 8, 2006
I wasn't able to find anything about Staff Bros in the Terre Haute CD's, but a Google search turned up a Staff Bros Cannery that was built in 1888 on the Lower Terre Haute Road near the Indiana st. line. The Cannery burned in 1892. The Staff Bros piece looks like other canning tokens I have seen.

I also came across another token, bought in Terre Haute, Indiana, but I didn't see anything in the TH CD's.

Fleck / Bros. // Good For / 5¢ / In Trade

Anyone know anything about this one?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions