Presidential Token

R

rvbvetter

I recently dug a token with Woodrow Wilsons portrait on it, and it says 28th President and the years of his term in office.
Then on the back it gives his credits or history. It's copper and the size of a quarter and has a green patina on it.
I've known of their existance, but have never known when they were issued, or who issued them.
Does anybody know when and who? Thanks HH

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
There are numerous Presidential medals issued by various groups for various purposes. Without a photo, I can't tell which one you have, but from the 1970 edition of the Numismatic Issues of the Franklin Mint, their Presidential Series sounds possibly sounds like what you have. According to their figures, 1,377,324 of the 26mm bronze Woodrow Wilson medals were produced in 1968. They were distributed as part of the "Mr. President Game" and the "Famous Facts and Faces Game". I don't recognize these two games, but they were probably part of a promotion by an oil company - they gave a holder for the medals, one of which was given for every tank of gas. Presumably some sort of prize was available if the holder was ever filled with all the medals.

John in Idaho

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one that I found that has Zachary Taylor on it and the dates of his term...but on the back it has Shell. Must have been something some of the oil companies did... ?

;)

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I've found both the Shell and Amoco varities. The Shell pieces I found were aluminum and the Amoco pieces all seemed to be bronze.

OP
OP
R

rvbvetter

I remember the aluminum ones, and like Nana said, they had Shell on them.
So this must be the Amoco one. I took it for copper, but it must be bronze.
Good info. guys!! Thanks everyone for your help. HH

OP
OP
R

rvbvetter

It's close, but on the front of mine. It has 28th president. usa, and years in office above the bust, and woodrow wilson, under the bust. And mine has more of a profile portrait.
Off hand, I would say yours looks to be older than mine. Very nice find! Thank you for checking. HH

R

rogerkgoss

We found what we believe is a complete set. It runs from George Washingon to Lyndon Johnson.

Does anyone know if a complete set is worth anything.

Attachments

• presidents.JPG
    presidents.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 2,705
OP
OP
R

rvbvetter

WOW!! Great find!! Always makes me nervous when that many politicians are together at the same place.
I have no idea what they might be worth, but I'm sure they have some value.
Also sure some one will be along that knows. WTG!! HH

R

rogerkgoss

I found an imcomplete set on Ebay and one complete Set that the starting bid was $10.00, but I find it hard to believe that someone would let a set of 40 year old tokens go anywhere near that cheap. I started to buy the other complete set.

I find some places that say they are Amoco and other that say they are Shell. I have found pics of the coins with Shell's emblem stamped on the back so these are probably not Shell Oil Co.

I also read about some banks giving out such coins in the sixties as a promotion.

I don't think I will be selling them my children think they are the bomb and My Mother polished them before I could stop her. They look like gold coins now. I have to admit they do look better after she polished them, but I have always been told not to polish coins or tokens.

Attachments

• Presidents2.JPG
    Presidents2.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 3,872

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread