Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used a brass, (yes brass) brush with some good results. Buy them at any hardware store. Just make sure that you lightly, and I mean lightly brush them. Like you are brushing your teeth. I usually clean the tokens this way, under running water. Good luck.

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
interesting....
i've got a piece of laminate with various size holes for coins, tokens to sit in. this allows eraser or brush cleaning without doing the finger tips...ha ha!
never thought of the brass brush lightly on aluminum and the running water must show your progress. thanks for this tip. will give it a try.

mike

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a rock tumbler with sand,aquarium rock, and two drops of dish soap.
Tumble for an hour an check. Depending how much crud is on them they
usually come out good.

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
Rock tumbler works great! It's the only way to go, follow Novaman's ingredients! If the aluminum token has any "bubbles" on it those will turn into holes if you tumble it to long so keep an eye on it.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had excellent luck using a brass dremel brush on a dremel tool with a variable speed.
It will take the crud off and clean the token at the same time. Use a minor amount of force and proceed lightly until you figure out how much pressure you can exert. Generally is you don't push hard you won't scratch your aluminum.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually start with a brass brush and tooth paste. Lighylt brush then run under water.
That usually gets off most of the crud.
Scott

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
curbdiggercarl57 said:
I've used a brass, (yes brass) brush with some good results. Buy them at any hardware store. Just make sure that you lightly, and I mean lightly brush them. Like you are brushing your teeth. I usually clean the tokens this way, under running water. Good luck.
I too have used brass brushes,you don't want a firm BRUSH,there is various thinness&firmness to brass brushs...you want a thinner brass wire brush&brush softly,as mentioned w/dremel tool,etc....HH ALL!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread