Railroad tag help?

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Still can't detect around here due to the flippin' weather. So, I have been going through all my coffee cans full of 'stuff' and trying to organize all my relics.

I came across several railroad box check tags from the Fitchburg Rail Road and Maine Central. Can any of you help with ID on these tags. Or, does anyone know of a website that may help me to determine exactly what I have?

Here are some pics.... Notice that the third pic has a star under the claim number. Any idea what this signifies?

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Brian in MA

Attachments

• IMG_1335a.jpg
    IMG_1335a.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_1336a.jpg
    IMG_1336a.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_1337a.jpg
    IMG_1337a.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_1339a.jpg
    IMG_1339a.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 232

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here's an article that ties the Fitchburg Railroad (and its history) to Lake Walden--of Walden Pond fame, apparently. It adds this about claim checks (tags): A checking system was invented to keep track of luggage being transported on the trains. Metal disks or checks were placed on each item and a duplicate given to the passenger. At the final destination, the check was presented to claim the luggage.
http://www.cyberbee.com/henryhikes/fitchburgrr.html

OP
OP
Brian in MA

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the links PBK & Mackaydon....

I've e-mailed the Tagtown site but have not received a reply yet. I can't seem to find another example of any of the tags I have anywhere on the internet. But, through the links you provided I now know that they were used as luggage/box checks for the Lake Walden stop of the Fitchburg Railroad. The train stop was located on the West shore of Walden Pond and was in use until around 1900.

Thanks again for the help !!!

Brian in MA

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread