• penny1.jpg
    penny1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 185

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
When a man joined the Masonic Lodge ("to be one, ask one"), he was given a pocket piece like this one to identify him to others that he was indeed a member of this lodge. Most members put their "mark" in the center part. The piece is called a Masonic Penny, but there is no monetary value associated with it. Collectors, however, value them and often try to collect one per lodge per state.
John in ID

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Welcome to TNet, Lokie. It's great to have you with us. :thumbsup:

Your find is indeed a Masonic "chapter penny," a token belonging to a member of that fraternal order. The keystone, mallet, and chisel are all familiar symbols of Freemasonry The letters HTWSSTKS (forming a circle) are said to be the mark of the order's ancient Grand Master, and to stand for, "Hiram the widow's son sent to King Solomon." As John in ID has noted, the small space within the lettered circle is reserved for the member's own "mark"— i.e., initial(s) or some other personal symbol. Because of that, a token of this type is also known as a "mark penny."

OP
OP
L

lokie

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2009
Steuben county N.Y
Detector(s) used
Ace Garret Pro 250
Thank you both. Mystery solved. Iv'e had this for over ten years and always wondered it's story. I have some more items that i will post when i get a chance. Also i have a post in paper money maybe you can give me some insight on that to. And thank you for the welcome i think im going to like it here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread