psgen

Apr 25, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 - White's Spectra V3i - White's XLT - Minelab Excaliber II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all:
? ? ? ?It's been awhile since I've posted anything to the forum.......Anyways, I now own my very own copy of "The Atwood - Coffee Catalogue of United States and Canadian Transportation Tokens" and I am willing to do some lookups on transit/transportation tokens. The only thing I ask is that you give me sometime to respond and if possible, provide a clear photo of both obverse and reverse of your tokens...if no photo is available please submit as much detail as possible (i.e. any of the printed info from the token.) Happy Hunting..........
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Psgen :D

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
That's a pretty generous offer. that book lists at $49.95 and shipping usually. There are also three of them. thanks and exanimo, ss

miester

May 21, 2005
Wi
I think I'll take your offer, sorry poor pictures thru plastic they dont do the tokens justice.
1. is a Chicago transit authority token for surface system.
2. is from Honolulu, 1924 rapid transit....Thanks for any info.

Attachments

• hono.jpg
    hono.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 272
OP
OP
psgen

psgen

Apr 25, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Atwood - Coffee numbering system explained

1) State Code (Two Letter Abbr.)
2) Location Code (Numeric code assigned to that city, so tokens from the same city will always have the same #)
3) Individual Token ID (Always Capital Letters) - if a city has issued more than 26 diff. tokens (i.e. A-Z) then (AA, AB, etc..) R used.
4) Variety code (Always Lower case Letters) used to Identify a variant of given token

Illinois - (Atwood-Coffee # IL-150-Zb)
Issued: Illinois (IL) - Chicago (150) - 26th listed token for Chicago (Z) - 2nd of 3 known varieties (b) - **** additional info.**** Made of White Metal - 16 mm in diameter - issued 1950 - may still be in use today - est. value $1.50 (via 1996 Catalogue) Most collector use the (1.5x - 2x) catalogue value as the standard price.

Hawaii - (Atwood-Coffee # HI-240-Cb)
Issued: Hawaii (HI) - Honolulu (240) - 3rd listed token for Honolulu (C) - 2nd of 2 known varieties (b) - **** additional info.**** Made of White Metal - 16 mm in diameter - Issued in 1924 with 2,000,000+ tokens struck - This token is now obsolete - est. value $0.15 (via 1996 Catalogue) Most collector use the (1.5x - 2x) catalogue value as the standard price.

I hope this information helps out. Varieties listed based upon what details I was able to conclude from the pics. difficult to tell without token in hand. either way price does change.

miester

May 21, 2005
Wi
Thanks, Awhile back I found the same tokens for sale on Ebay and I think it was the Honolulu one that had a bid of $23.00 and the CTA had a bid of $6.00, I thought that was out of line. Thanks again for the info!

OP
OP
psgen

psgen

Apr 25, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I know I've seen some crazy prices :o on ebay........some sellers try to cheat & swindle buyers, by making their items seem unique or rare ::) (salesmanship), but like the old saying goes, "let the buyer beware !!!!" When it comes to tokens older doesn't always mean more valueable as is the case with your two. The Hawaiian token is 26 years older than your Illinois token, but due to the huge number of Hawaiian tokens made, it makes it the most common token available to date... :-\ If you'd like to know more about tokens, collecting & such...... there is a great yahoo group (forum) dedicated to the hobby and collectors. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AmericanVecturistAssociation/ It's a great group of people and their very helpful............you should check it out...........
psgen

P.S. - I'm psgen @ both forums. so feel free to ask any questions you may have.............

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Howdy, Would you mind looking up a detroit token of the Detroit & Canada Tunnel Co // Good for / One Fare, wm, 22mm? I normally don't care what they are worth but I have enough of these to trade. Also the Civil War token of H. Gaines Pike - Wolf Creek, OH.that one used to be called an indiana token so i bought one today. Only have one of those. Send me a private message with a mailing address and i'll send you one for free. thanks, ss

OP
OP
psgen

psgen

Apr 25, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan - (Atwood-Coffee # MI-225-P?)

Issued: Michigan (MI) - Detroit (225) - 19th listed token for Detroit (P) - 3 known varieties (?) without a picture can't tell - all the varieties have to do with the spacing between the (T-&-C) on the obverse and the word "one" on the reverse **** additional info.**** Made of White Metal - 22 mm in diameter - issued 27 Mar.1973 for use on passenger car through the tunnel - may still be in use today - est. value $0.75 (via 1996 Catalogue) Most collector use the (1.5x - 2x) catalogue value as the standard price.

As for the Civil War token: I don't have much, if any experience with them. I am a big history buff and the Civil War is one of my favorite areas of study, but haven't gotten into the tokens yet. The key word is yet ;D....... sounds like a really nice piece though. Is there any way you'd be able to post a picture?

I'd recommend joining the http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AmericanVecturistAssociation/ group it's free and someone there might be able to answer your question on the Civil War Token

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
I sent you a couple of tokens today. Let me know the item number when you get them and inspect to find variety please. I have no way to post pictures. Sorry. exanimo, ss

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Very generous offer,,, Thank you!
When, or if you get some time, I would love to find out when these particular tokens were issued...
The obverse reads, "Indianapolis Railways", with a picture of Monument Circle here in Indy in the center.
The reverse Reads, " GOOD FOR ONE FARE", with the, "President" signature in the center... I can't make out the signature, it shows up ok,, I just can't read the hand writing...lol
IRR.jpg

Good luck & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
psgen

psgen

Apr 25, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indiana - (Atwood-Coffee # IN-460-??)

Issued: Indiana (IN) - Indianapolis (460) - depending on the material it is made of: "T" (white Metal), "U" (Zinc) or "V" (Steel).....
"T" has two known varieties having to deal with the letter "O" on the reverse (signature side) "Ta" has a wide "O" & "Tb" has a narrow "O".........."U" & "V" have only one known type of each **** additional info.**** All 3 are 16 mm in diameter - issued: ( "T" 10/27/1941 - 10,000 struck, "U" 2/19/1943 - 350,000 struck & "V" 5/8/1945 - 350,000 struck) - all are listed as being obsolete - The signature is that of Harry Reid - est. value $0.15 (via 1996 Catalogue) Most collector use the (1.5x - 2x) catalogue value as the standard price.

How to tell your metal type:

1) Zinc will often have a dull grey or black powdery look to the metal caused by the oxidation

2) Steel is magnetic

3) White Metal - non-magnetic and lacks the dull powdery look

Hope this helps!

Psgen

OP
OP
psgen

psgen

Apr 25, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o For anyone who might be interested !!!!!!! I have an older copy of the Atwood - Coffee Catalogue Vol. #1 (1983 edition) that I'm thinking of selling. Drop me a personal email for details and asking price ..................

psgen

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Thank you very much...
I would have thought they were a little older than that, 20 to 30's, Thanks for clearing that up for me...
I believe the ones I have,, I have three of them from the same hole, are the whilte metal type... The picture doesn't show it very well, but they are silverish in color, with a hint of gold tint to them...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread