DSC00362.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 451

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look 40s/50s & 60s to me

nice finds

hh

lonewolfe

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Rasrandy--

The New Hampshire tokens, according to Atwood's Catalog of US & Canadian Transportation Tokens, 1970 edition, "are used on the F. E. Everett Highway" - do a Google search and you will see info on the highway. So, the tokens were used from ca. 1970 and may, for all I know, still be in use on this toll road. They are pretty common, so they may well be.

The New York City Subway token was used in numerous varieties from 1953 until about 2000 or so. I remember reading news articles about the demise of these subway tokens when they were replaced by fare cards.

The Abraham Lincoln piece is dated 1968, so that is an easy one. It was used as part of a gasoline company promotion - get an album and a starter token free, then one token per fill-up. Dunno what you got if you filled the entire album - if anything more than the album full.

John in Idaho

psgen

Apr 25, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 - White's Spectra V3i - White's XLT - Minelab Excaliber II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D Here is a bit more information on two of your tokens:

First let me explain The Atwood - Coffee numbering system. It is easy once you know how it works.

1) State Code (Two Letter Abbr.)
2) Location Code (Numeric code assigned to that city, so tokens from the same city will always have the same #)
3) Individual Token ID (Always Capital Letters) - if a city has issued more than 26 diff. tokens (i.e. A-Z) then (AA, AB, etc..) R used.
4) Variety code (Always Lower case Letters) used to Identify a variant of given token

NYC - (Atwood-Coffee # NY-630-ASa) Issued: New York State (NY) - Manhattan (630) - 35th listed token for Manhattan (AS) - 1st of 4 known varieties (a) - **** additional info.**** Made of Brass - 23 mm in diameter - Was first issued 04 Jan. 1970 when fares increased to $0.30 and is now listed as obsolete - est. value $0.60 (via 1996 Catalogue) Most collector use the (1.5x - 2x) catalogue value as the standard price.

New Hampshire - ( Atwood-Coffee # NH-720-C) Issued: New Hampshire (NH) - New Hampshire Highways (720) - 3rd listed token for New Hampshire State Highways - (C) with no Known varieties. ****Additional Info.**** Made of Brass - 23 mm - 1st struck in 1955 - 1956 (additional strikes were made in 1960 & 1963 adding 200,000 more tokens) it is possibly still in use today - They were used on the F.E. Everett Highway - est. value $0.25 via 1996 Catalogue) Most collector use the (1.5x - 2x) catalogue value as the standard price.

OP
OP
rasrandy

rasrandy

Mar 3, 2005
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Thanks idaho and psgen.
The information was more than expected and helped a great deal.

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Cool tokens! I have the NY and NH ones. There are alot of Varities of both, there is one really expensive N.Y. one. I only know of two diff. varieties of the N.H. one.

OP
OP
rasrandy

rasrandy

Mar 3, 2005
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
The expensive one has something to do with the size
and the character of the letters NYC.
I havent checked it out yet, but its something to do
in the winter months.