43.8 KB · Views: 315

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Mackaydon :thumbsup: :thumbsup: another token mystery solved. Thanks again for helping me with mine.BFL&CO
from Ogden,Utah.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
John Zagar is listed in the 1938 Polk's City Directory for Kansas City, MO as a tailor at 417 N. 6th Street, and in the 1947-48 directory as beer at that same address. I imagine that he wasn't making enough money in the tailor business, so he converted the storefront to a tavern. If you plug the address into Google Street View, there is a nice photo of the intersection where his business was. There is one tavern-looking building there that might be it (now called Fat Matt's Vortex) or a couple of vacant lots.

The piece is not listed in Waken's KS book and I don't have the more recent KS book by Glass & O'Connor to see if it is there. Most tokens from big cities don't command much of a premium, so I would guess this would sell for $10 at the most on ePay.

John in ID

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Idaho, you also deserve a BIG THANKS for all your knowledge on tokens. It's much appreciative. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Cherryman68

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
Thank you guys so much for the information. I also enjoy the history behind these old jewels. I can't believe you found it so quickly I looked for a couple of weeks before asking, but I guess I didn't know where to look.

I do not collect Tokens so if any one wants to trade this and a Missouri red tax token just PM me.

The only token I keep is the first one I ever found, an aluminum Colgate-pomolive-Pitts buy 3 get 2 free token.

Again thanks so much for the info!

HH
Michael

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread