N. Terrills Saloon, San Simeon Cal. GOOD FOR ONE DRINK OR CIGAR

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
N. Terrill's Saloon, San Simeon Cal. GOOD FOR ONE DRINK OR CIGAR

Hey gang,

I dug this token today in California. San Simeon has always been a small town, in fact, today's population is less than 500! Any additional info from you token pros out there? Thanks! - Jim
TerrillsSaloonSanSimeonCAL1.jpg

TerrillsSaloonSanSimeonCAL.jpg

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: N. Terrill's Saloon, San Simeon Cal. GOOD FOR ONE DRINK OR CIGAR

Nice find! Feisel's Catalog of CA Saloon Tokens lists this as one of two saloon tokens from the town. Both of them are listed with an estimated value of $125-250, but dug condition might subtract some - the strong market for western saloon tokens might add, however. He gives no history of the business. If I run across anything on Terrill, I'll post it.
John in ID

OP
OP
ziphius

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used

John,

Really appreciate the info. What was the name of the 2nd saloon in San Simeon?

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other

I don't find anything that would identify N. Terrill, although there is a widow, Josephine Terrill, with 9 (count 'em) kids living in San Simeon in 1910. She lived there until her death in 1950. I'm guessing "N." was her husband. Too bad online CA death records don't go back before 1910 so we could find more on him.

The other saloon token listed was from
N. GILLESPIE / HOTEL / & / SALOON / SAN SIMEON, CAL.

It was also good for a drink or cigar and Needham Gillespie is listed in the 1897 R. G. Dun Business Directory as Hotel & Saloon.

The price for a drink of whiskey or for a good cigar was pretty much standardized in the western US from 1890-1910 at 12½¢ or two for a quarter. That is why we often see tokens that are good for a "drink or cigar" - they were given in change to a customer who just wanted one or the other and had a quarter to plunk down on the bar. A glass of beer or a cheap cigar were likewise standardized at 5¢.

John in ID

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other

Well, a little more poking around seems to indicate that his name was Newell Elias Terrill, born 1852. I did find Josie Terrill in the 1900 Census in San Simeon - she was listed as a widow then, also. The youngest child of Josephine (and presumably him) in 1910 was 11, so his death should have been somewhere around 1898-1900.
John in ID

OP
OP
ziphius

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used

idahotokens said:
Well, a little more poking around seems to indicate that his name was Newell Elias Terrill, born 1852. I did find Josie Terrill in the 1900 Census in San Simeon - she was listed as a widow then, also. The youngest child of Josephine (and presumably him) in 1910 was 11, so his death should have been somewhere around 1898-1900.
John in ID

John,

That is some amazing research on your part! :thumbsup: Could you provide a link to the online business records that you obtained for CA? I really appreciate your legwork on this. :icon_cheers:

Likely Guy

1880 Census:

Newell TERRILL
Male
Birth Year <1853>
Birthplace CA
Age 27
Occupation Farmer
Marital Status S <Single>
Race W <White>
Head of Household Benjamin F. MAYFIELD
Relation SSon <Stepson>
Father's Birthplace OH
Mother's Birthplace NY
Source Information:
Census Place San Simeon, San Luis Obispo, California

Also International Geneaological Index:

Husband
NEWELL E. TERRILL
Marriage: 01 DEC 1892 San Luis Obispo, San Luis Obispo, California
Wife: JOSIE ACEBEZ

Hope this helps somewhat.

Likely Guy

From: http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=REG&db=jody2me&id=I783

1. Josefa Acebez (Anastacio Aceves1) was born 16 Nov 1870 in ,,California,USA, and died 20 Feb 1903 in San Jose,,California,USA. She married Newell Elias Terrill 1 Dec 1892 in San Simeon,San Luis Obispo,California,USA, son of Benjamin Franklin Mayfield and Roxana Matilda Leffingwell. He was born 1 Dec 1852 in Petaluma,Sonoma,California,USA, and died 15 Dec 1896 in Cambria,San Luis Obispo,California,USA. He was buried Dec 1896 in Cambria,San Luis Obispo,California,USA.

Children of Josefa Acebez and Newell Elias Terrill are: 2 i. Edward N. Terrill was born 8 Sep 1893 in Cambria,San Luis Obispo,California,USA, and died 25 Oct 1915 in Paso Robles,San Luis Obispo,California,USA.
+ 3 ii. Arthur Newell Terrill was born 2 Apr 1895 in San Simeon,San Luis Obispo,California,USA, and died 9 May 1951 in Paso Robles,San Luis Obispo,California,USA.

OP
OP
ziphius

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used

LikelyGuy,

Thanks for that incredible information. I'm gonna head to the Cambria cemetary this week and see if I can find Terrill's grave! More pieces to the puzzle! - Jim

Likely Guy

No problem Ziphius,

You did the digging, I'm just helping to 'fill in the holes'. I found some other family info if you want. Either way, post a photo of the grave if you find it. It would make a nice epitaph.

Good Luck, LG

Likely Guy

If you find the grave of Benjamin Mayfield (his stepfather) http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSsr=81&GScid=7878&GRid=7576905&

...he should be buried nearby.

From - http://www.sloco.net/history/CABio/SloBio2.html

"Nine children were born to them including: Lucy Mayfield, b 1861; Marion, b 1863; Frank, b 1865; Clara, b 1867; Mary Ethel Mayfield, b 23 Apr 1873 Cambria; Solan Mayfield; Fred Mayfield; Milton L Mayfield. Ida Terrill m 1878 Cambria to Amost Smithers. Newell Terrill m 1892 San Luis Obispo Co to Josefa Aceves. Ethel Mayfield m 29 Nov 1893 San Luis Obispo Co to Devillow Bovee

Benjamin F Mayfield died at Cambria 16 Dec 1884 and is buried in the Cambria Cemetery along with many members in his family."

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other

Online genealogical research can be done through a variety of sources. Some (like Ancestry.com), are paid subscription sites, while others (like Heritage Quest) may be available through your local library. Still, there are many free sites that help a lot. Findagrave.com, Rootsweb.com, and some local historical sociiety sites help. Digging through the information and mis-information on these sites is fun, but tedious. A little like digging through the earth looking for tokens!

The info Guy found at Rootsweb is the result of somebody doing family history and uploading the results. If you were seriously doing Terrill's genealogy, you should check the sources for yourself. I think it would be really helpful to locate the microfilm of the newspaper that served San Simeon and Cambria area and see if there was an obituary or news item about the 15 Dec 1896 death of Newell Terrill.

N. Terrill is an example of a lot of conflicting information and having to make some educated assumptions. For instance, this Newell Terrill may not be the same N. Terrill as on the token - we are just going on some circumstantial evidence that says he's the one. Also, what was his wife's name? Josephine, Josie, Josefa, or Mary J.? Probably she went by each of those names at one time or another. How many children did she have? The census said 2 in 1900 and 9 in 1910 - it is hard to tell for certain with the census.

But, at any rate, tokens like this are examples of the intersection of two great hobbies - detecting and research.

John in ID

OP
OP
ziphius

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used

John,

Yeah a lot to think about and a couple of assumptions to follow up on. I'll be in San Simeon and Cambria soon, so I can check in at the historical society. One interesting thing is that it would have been difficult for Terrill to have an 11 year old son in 1910, if he died 13-14 years earlier. We know the wife was a widow in 1900, but that doesn't mean she couldn't have gotten pregnant via someone else soon after Newell died. Seems possible that the age attributed to the child in 1910 might be incorrect. I bet that was common. Thanks again for your help on this one.

Jim

Likely Guy

Jim,

I did find Newell Terrill in the Cambria Cemetery (b. Dec. 1, 1852 - d. Dec 15, 1896) along with his son Edward. As 1,821 burials are listed, I wish you good luck!

http://vitals.biofiles.us/CambriaDob-Dod.pdf

P.S. As Newell E. Terrill is found in the Great Registers of 1879, 1882 and 1888 (which contains the following Information: Name, Age, "Native of", Occupation (i.e. 'saloonkeeper'), Residence, Naturalization Status, and Date of Registration) may I suggest you contact the San Luis Obispo County Geneaological Society. The SLOCGS Librarians are happy to send either Scans or Transcriptions for a Donation to the SLOCGS. Their Email address is: [email protected].

P.S.S.: He's also on the 1892 register as TERRELL, Newell E.

-Brian

OP
OP
ziphius

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used

Brian,

That is great information and confirmation that we've got the correct man! I'm going to visit the Cambria cemetery today and see if I can track down the gravestone. I'll post photos if I find it. It's a great little cemetery back in the hills - I've taken naps there before. :thumbsup:

Jim

Postscript. Here is a photo of Newell's gravestone that I got during my visit to the cemetery today.

NewellTerrill1852-1896.jpg

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other

Jim--That gravestone photo is great! While you have it, you might consider signing into Findagrave.com and posting it with a summary of the information you have on him.
John in ID

OP
OP
ziphius

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used

This just gets better and better. I got some help from a local historical society, who tracked down Newell Terrill's grandson for me! The woman from the historical society spoke with the grandson, also named Newell Terrill. Newell remembers seeing a wooden version of this token and says that he has a photograph of his grandfather. I've got Newell's phone number and just have to write down the things I want to ask him before bugging him with a phone call. I've never been able to follow a dug relic with this degree of detail before! :thumbsup:

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other

Jim--that's the beauty/fun/challenge of trade tokens! Great work and keep us posted - it would be super to see a pic of Terrill and his place.
John in ID

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread