Lincoln token or souvenir w/photo

snoopy2009

May 5, 2009
While working in the garden I turned up a round, coin-type Lincoln commemorative token or souvenir. I cleaned it up and it has Lincoln's bust on one side and a short, factual statement on the back. The statement says when he was born and died. I don't have it with me here, it is at my house. The token is a bit thinner than a coin, which it is not. It is about the size of a half dollar, as in Kennedy half-dollar. I would be glad to post a photo or provide any more information as needed. I am sure it is worth very little, but the curiosity as to its origin intrigues me. This garden has been worked since the 1930's, at least, by my grandfather and now by me for the past 20 years. I am always finding interesting things in it, mostly old broken dinnerware and lots of medicine bottles. Not that this thing could be all that old as there are a lot of kids that have played in and about the garden through the years. Please advise if you can help and thank you for your effort.

Steve

Attachments

• Token1.jpg
    Token1.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 278
  • Token2.jpg
    Token2.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 255

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
Re: Lincoln token or souvenir

i don't know a lot about this sort of token, but it is my impression it is common, with little value - such as $1.
i've seen older presidential items that generally were thicker than a coin that have value.
my idea of your token is a gas station premium, or a private mint issue. either as early as the 60's.

the above response is given freely without any claims as to it's having any factual or useful information. :)

mike

Florida Tabdigger

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2010
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites M6 and Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had to reply to this post because I found one about an hour and a half ago. I seen one for sale for 7 dollars online.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
This looks like a Shell presidential series token from the 1970s. I collected them at the gas station. one per fillup.

Wickid

Jan 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually have 55 of these, including all of the presidents and some spares ;0) I have no idea of the value and other than this site, haven't been able to find anyone who can give specifics. I have read that they are copper and probably older than the Shell Presidential Game, but I don't know. I have also read that they used to come in candy bars prior to the 60's. The ones from Shell usually had Shell stamped on the back. Can anyone tell me for certain what these little burgers are?

Wickid

Jan 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Presidential Tokens

Also, these are thicker than a quarter, but the photo above is very accurate in size.

DigginSarge

Tenderfoot
Dec 10, 2012
I had a set of these also and would agree that they are most likely from the Shell Oil Co. Presidential coin collection given away in the 70's.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As per this thread I found and coming from one of the posters who owns many of them, the commemorative coin posted is from SHELL oil company but from the 1990's and not the one of the ones from the late 60's-early 70's... Click the link and scroll down a bit

Abraham Lincoln commemorative coin | Shell president medal - Coin Community Forum

I found that the earlier ones had the name of the president on the bottom of the piece and the 90's collection had the name on the top

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread