Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
The token shown in this post was recently added to my small collection (bought, not dug).

It was minted in 1890 by the Woman's Christian Temperance Union (WCTU)
It?s interesting how this movement eventually helped unit and motivate women to fight for social equality.

The ladies selected aluminum for this token because of the optimistic and futuristic message it communicated in 1890.

The price of aluminum in 1852 was over $500 a pound. At that time it was considered an extremely precious metal of greater value than gold or platinum.

By 1914, Charles Martin Hall?s process had brought the cost of aluminum down to 18 cents a pound and it was no longer considered a precious metal.

Today more aluminum is produced than all other non-ferrous metals combined.

The sum: Don?t assume that those 19th century aluminum items you dig are worthless. Some early pieces can be worth more than you?d believe.

Anyway, thought somebody might be interested in a little aluminum history.

Anyone know the value of this token?

K

Kentucky Kache

Zeb said:
The token shown in this post was recently added to my collecting (bought, not dug).

It?s interesting how this movement eventually helped unit and motivate women to fight for social equality.
And from that time to this we've been in a big mess.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Zeb--I have long heard that aluminum was first used for tokens and medals with the "so-called dollars" issued in conjuntion with the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893. I can't tell - is your WCTU piece dated 1890? If it has 1890 on it, could that perhaps be the date when the WCTU Building was constructed? I don't see your piece listed in the Hibler-Kappen So-Called Dollars book, although it seems to me like it would qualify and is very similar in style and size to those listed. Best, John in ID

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Aluminum was so valuable at one time that the Czarist russia government recalled all of their platinum coins and replaced them with aluminum coins which were worth more. exanimo, ss

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
jbot said:
Zeb said:
The token shown in this post was recently added to my collecting (bought, not dug).

And from that time to this we've been in a big mess.

And for this we have to only ourselves to thank.

Attachments

• Why Birds Fly Into Windows.gif
    Why Birds Fly Into Windows.gif
    51.9 KB · Views: 2,292
  • Why Birds Fly Into Windows.gif
    Why Birds Fly Into Windows.gif
    51.9 KB · Views: 403

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
I wouldn't have a clue about value, but that a nice looking token... I would think from what it represents, and the historical significance, it would be a nice little chunk... Great info about the aluminum.
Good luck & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
idahotokens said:
Zeb--I have long heard that aluminum was first used for tokens and medals with the "so-called dollars" issued in conjuntion with the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893.? I can't tell - is your WCTU piece dated 1890?? If it has 1890 on it, could that perhaps be the date when the WCTU Building was constructed?? I don't see your piece listed in the Hibler-Kappen So-Called Dollars book, although it seems to me like it would qualify and is very similar in style and size to those listed.? Best, John in ID

The picture of the token is from ebay and I haven't actually received the coin yet.

When it arrives I'll post enlarged pictures. The seller said 1890 so it must have that date on it somewhere. But you're correct, that could be the date of the building.

It's an interesting piece and I've never seen one exactly like it before. Although I'm sure there are many out there in private collections. But then again....maybe not???

GOOD one stoney! LOL !

Thanks all for your interest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions