Freedom 7 token

fbjr

Apr 13, 2007
Elmira, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030/Minelab e-trac/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This a freedom 7 shuttle token with the launch date (May 5th, 1961) on the front and the pledge of allegiance on the reverse. It's a little bigger then a quarter in size yet much lighter in weight. I would love to know where it came from if anyone out there knows anything about them. Thanks !!

Attachments

• freedom 7 token.JPG
    freedom 7 token.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,341

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
I believe this medal was issued by the AMVETS (American Veterans) organization for distribution as part of a fundraising program. It may have been attached to a keychain.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Right on, as usual, PBK
This 1961 goldtone commemorative medal issued by Amvets measures 1 1/16" across and is two-sided. One side depicts the Freedom 7 space capsule, which was launched May 6, 1951 as part of project Mercury, and crewed by Alan B. Shepard, Jr. "The main scientific objective of project Mercury was to determine man's capabilities in a space environment and in those environments to which he will be subject upon going into and returning from space. A few of the basic flight problems included: The development of an automatic escape system, vehicle control during insertion, behavior of space systems, evaluation of pilots capabilities in space, in flight monitoring, retrofire and reentry maneuvers and landing and recovery." (NASA)

Don.......

cool breeze

Aug 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I unearthed this identical coin/medallion this afternoon at the base of a tree in Joe DiMaggio Park just off Old Coachman Road across from Brighthouse Field where the Phillies play during Spring Training using my Whites Spectra 3! Brought me a smile. Happy Hunting my friends!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions