1863 Civil War token ... little help please !

ivy_walls

Sep 1, 2006
Mishawaka Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE & Garrett Ace 250
So I went out to a grassy area along a sidewalk close to town where no one would mind me digging some holes. I found a lot of Lincoln Memorials right on the ground and then I found this weird one. It was getting kind of dark so just threw in my pocket and continued. When i got home I was surprised to see that it was a 1863 Civil War token. On one side it depicts a statue of Andrew Jackson on a horse and says "First in war, first in peace" and is dated 1863. The other side says "The union must and shall preserve" and then Jackson's name. This is my oldest find yet + its exactly 100 years older than me !! WOOOHOOO !! Can anyone tell me any info on this token ?

1863 token3.jpg

thanks for looking,

Mark

Attachments

• 1863 token3.jpg
    1863 token3.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 617

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"First in war, first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen". These were the words from a eulogy for George Washington adopted by Congress immediately after Washington’s death. The eulogy was written by Henry Lee, a soldier and political leader from Washington’s home state of Virginia.

The word "Jackson" on the token's reverse need not necessarily refer to Andrew Jackson but could refer to any town, person, store, etc. with the same name.

Don.....

LJHanley06

Aug 19, 2006
ivy_walls said:
So I went out to a grassy area along a sidewalk close to town where no one would mind me digging some holes. I found a lot of Lincoln Memorials right on the ground and then I found this weird one. It was getting kind of dark so just threw in my pocket and continued. When i got home I was surprised to see that it was a 1863 Civil War token. On one side it depicts a statue of Andrew Jackson on a horse and says "First in war, first in peace" and is dated 1863. The other side says "The union must and shall preserve" and then Jackson's name. This is my oldest find yet + its exactly 100 years older than me !! WOOOHOOO !! Can anyone tell me any info on this token ?

thanks for looking,

Mark

Mark,

Looks like you found a Civil War Patriotic Token...Reverse die face is the picture of the "Horseman".

Reverse Die Face

Matches Die #1161 for Store Card Tokens, but only one use of this die in Indiana...from a store proprietor named Johnson, so this IS NOT a Store Card Token.

This design does however match Civil War Patriotic Token Dies #173 thru 177...most closely matching #177.

Obverse Die Face

Matches Civil War Patriotic Token die #400 & 404...most closely matching #400.

This Token is listed in the Standard Catalog of United States Tokens 1700-1900...2nd Edition by Russel Rulau (1997)
on page 424 left column

Store Card Patriotic Rarity Condition Value
Die# Die # Rating VG VF EF UNC

1161 177 R3 7 15 20 45

Hope this helps some...keep looking!

Regards, Fred.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread