Old token needing iding (Solved I beleived) after 1 yr

OP
OP
IAsoldier

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
IAsoldier

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Old token needing id

Found maybe. A.D. Combs (Hotel, Billiards/Saloon) 1880-81 Iowa State Gazetteer Businesses. I think Poor might of partnered up later down the rd. That's all i found in IA.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some info on the company, as well as one that I dug as well. Haven't found it's location either, thinking Nebraska.

Brunswick was founded by John Moses Brunswick who came to the United States from Switzerland at the age of 15. The J.M. Brunswick Manufacturing Company opened for business on September 15, 1845, in Cincinnati, Ohio. Originally J. M. Brunswick intended his company to be mainly in the business of making carriages, but soon after opening his machine shop, he became fascinated with billiards and decided that making billiard tables would be more lucrative, as the better tables then in use in the United States were imported from England. Brunswick billiard tables were a commercial success, and the business expanded and opened up the first of what would become many branch offices in Chicago, Illinois in 1848.
In 1873, the Brunswick Company merged with competitor Great Western Billiard Manufactory owned by Julius Balke to become the Brunswick & Balke Company, incorporated with a capital stock of $275,000. In 1884, another competitor, H.W. Collender Company of New York (founded by Hugh W. Collender), was absorbed to form the Brunswick-Balke-Collender Company (or B.B.C. Company for short[2]) with capital of $1.5 million.
The company expanded into making a number of other products. Large ornate neo-classical style bars for saloons were a popular product. Bowling balls, pins, and equipment led a growing line of sporting equipment. It popularized bowling balls of manufactured materials, vulcanized rubber at first; earlier bowling balls had been solid wood.

Also.....

Demand for Brunswick tables continues to increase. Brunswick merges with rival Julius Balke’s Great Western Billiard Table Manufactory to become The J. M. Brunswick and Balke Company. Pamphlets published two years after the great Chicago fire describe the company as manufacturing 700 tables annually, with 350 Brunswick tables in play in the city of Chicago, and selling from Canada to Mexico, with tables in every principal city in the west.

Brunswick joins with another rival to become “The Brunswick-Balke-Collender Company,” the largest billiard equipment operation in the world, larger than all its competitors combined. Expansion of the product line now includes elaborate and ornate front and back bars made of rich woods, flawless mirrors, and stained glass. Originally offered as special order items, demand from taverns grew so great that a new factory in Dubuque, Iowa manufactured and shipped the bars around the world. The bars began to gather design awards at international exhibitions. Many of them are still in use today, becoming focal points in popular bars and restaurants around the country

And even more info....
God, do I love Google.

Billiard and Pool Hall tokens were used in much the same way as Saloon tokens. Players would "rent" the table for a time, receiving tokens in exchange for the amount paid. Losers would pay the winner with a token, which supposedly was good only for merchandise in a disguised attempt to circumvent gaming laws, but would often be redeemed for cash by the bartender.

In some of the larger Billiard and Pool Halls an operator would "rack" the cue balls and he would then be paid a token for the game. This guaranteed the owner payment as the tokens were merely turned in at the end of the day. I some cases a token or coin box was installed on the tables to drop the cue balls at the start of a new game.

Attachments

• J.M. Brunswick#1.jpg
    J.M. Brunswick#1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 566
  • J.M. Brunswick#2.jpg
    J.M. Brunswick#2.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 577

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
intimer said:
nothing found on the tb wade

found this on henry williams

HENRY WILLIAMS BBC LONG PRAIRIE, MN referencing a MN token book

Did it mention his owning a Pool Hall or Saloon?
Would be my first MN token.
You have brought much happiness to an otherwise dismal period of my life.
Thank you.
Carl

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
sorry the maverick list only shows what is on the token and the reference from which the attribution was made.
as noted recently further proof is preferred - good place to start!

so, i checked the dunn bradstreet 1919 i had and i won't be able to lengthen your excitement, because henry williams was not there.
sorry, but having a town and state at least if it's not right you've ruled out one town------------------ :dontknow: :laughing7:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
intimer said:
sorry the maverick list only shows what is on the token and the reference from which the attribution was made.
as noted recently further proof is preferred - good place to start!

so, i checked the dunn bradstreet 1919 i had and i won't be able to lengthen your excitement, because henry williams was not there.
sorry, but having a town and state at least if it's not right you've ruled out one town------------------ :dontknow: :laughing7:

You still the man, thanks!
Dawned on me after posting that mine should be 1870-1880's, which is about 20 years earlier than what I originally thought. Need to go back and do more research.
Carl

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
Williams, Henry. Land patent, June 1, 1859. . 1 item. ---found this

Salem Mo Henry Williams & Jennie Dulworth----this may be marriage information

Williams, Henry. Henry Williams, an unmarried 23 year old black man, worked as a laborer and owned a home and lived on Third Street South in Great Falls in 1900. He was born in Sep 1876 in MI. [1900 Census MT Cascade Co.]-- another note i found but this guy was in montana---

so, i looked for a while but found nothing specific. good luck in your verifying...

mike

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
IAsoldier

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can somebody look up Cresco, IA ?? and see if there was another Combs please...

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
i looked at cresco in 1919 dunn bradstreet found nothing.
determined to find or at least check against richards token catalog and found this

http://tokencatalog.com/token_recor...n_id=122083&td_create_uid=218&record_offset=0

here's what it says; then it has picture of your token.
GOOD FOR / 5¢ / POOR & / COMBS / IN / TRADE
THE BRUNSWICK BALKE / COLLENDER / COMPY / CHECK (BBC-7.1a)
ObvDie SPO1-C.20q *** Found with a metal detector in Missouri Valley, Iowa 05-26-09. 06-10-10 found a A.D.COMBS (Hotel, Billiard/Saloon) in Chester, IA from the IOWA STATE GAZETTER 1880-80 Businesses. I beleive that POOR might of came in later as a partner.

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
hey iasoldier, (i guess you had listed the token with the token catalog?) or i don't understand why the picture on the tokencatalog data base looks like yours-have i missed something? maybe i did not read one of the posts. are you asking if it was cresco not chester---don't stop if you are not convinced of it being in chester or if you think it was in cresco. you will find proof some day some how.

OP
OP
IAsoldier

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just wondering because gary H said there was another combs in cresco i think maybe the same guy ran it but i think you guy and gals on t net solved it and yes i posted it on richards token data base

royaltina1

Mar 20, 2011
The Brunswick Balke Collender Co's Bronze G.W.S.

This token Reads as "good for 5 cents in trade" with center inscription in Capital initials G.W.S. Counterstrike w. Large M on the left & right side. The Brunswick Balke Collender Co's Check at bottom center. Large M counterstrike at upper left. 26 mm. Diameter.
Anyone may have any information for the large "M" or the "G.W.S." Initials ? the metal is Bronze.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 188932_1779188173718_1659831009_1655740_3774912_n.jpg
    188932_1779188173718_1659831009_1655740_3774912_n.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 350
  • 199109_1779188493726_1659831009_1655741_1831157_n.jpg
    199109_1779188493726_1659831009_1655741_1831157_n.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 338

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread